No Cable or Sat as base? Then streaming service is DOA says Cord Cutters

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by 1948GG, Jan 30, 2020.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    A few days back, yet another article on Cord Cutter News postulated the reason PSVue failed was the lack of a large subscriber base with cable or satellite to give it a leg up on content pricing; true for sure, but if it holds true in fact, then AT&T of all the live streamers should have the lowest prices and largest customer numbers as they have both cable and satellite subscribers, with Sling right behind with their Dish numbers. But who is marching to the top right now? YouTube TV and Hulu Live, neither of which has cable or satellite to give them the power to cut better deals. So what gives?

I say smart folks cutting good deals trump having millions of captive subscribers on dying platforms whose numbers dwindle daily. And I don't think anyone is going to give Sony any awards for their business sense over the past 2+ decades, as psvue joins a host of other products on the Sony junk heap.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    According to the Dish 3rd quarter results, Sling gained 214,000 subs while Dish lost 66,000 subs. That suggests to me there wasn't a lot of movement from the Dish base to Sling, with most of the gains coming from outside.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is a disconnect between the lowest cost to the provider and the lowest price to the customer. Much of it depends on the amount of loss the provider is willing to endure.

DISH satellite had 416k gross added customers in 3Q 2019 - the best gross adds since 3Q 2017 (402k) and every quarter until 4Q 2016. More people left than signed up, but the gross adds (a number DIRECTV no longer reports) is a decent number.

4. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    My guess is that Google is in this for the long haul with YTTV. Whatever their losses are currently with YTTV it is probably a rounding error on their balance sheet. They are honestly pretty smart at monetizing the data they collect so I’m sure that factors into the equation for them as well.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    PSVue didn’t own content and wasn’t tied to a studio or channel.....

You tube can loss lead for twenty years and not care cause they can sell info about you and make that back...

Hulu is owned by Disney and NBC. And previously other networks too. They can discount the product to themselves or lose money on the venture because at the end of the day they aren’t actually losing money since it’s coming back to them no matter how you slice it up.

Sling is truly the only one on its own that’s been successful so far that I see. A couple others are wading in but we will see who’s left in a few years.

mjwagner likes this.
  6. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    YoutubeTV and Hulu Live are good examples of 2 different cost advantages.

Hulu, with majority ownership lying with Disney, can control its content costs. FOX, ESPN, ABC, and everything else in the Disney broadcasting family is a cost they can directly control. They can also drive mutually beneficial agreements with other content owners/distributors like Comcast/Universal and ATT/WarnerMedia. (Comcast gets favorable pricing on Disney properties as long as they don't jack up the pricing for Universal licensing in return) Hulu outsources all of their CDN distribution to third party companies though, so that is a cost they don't control as tightly.

YoutubeTV doesn't have the same control over content, although networks already have existing partnerships with regular Youtube to promote shows, movies, and other content. The cost advantage YoutubeTV has is that the CDN infrastructure necessary to run live TV already exists and is fully paid for by regular Youtube. The marginal cost to deliver YTTV in addition to standard Youtube video streams almost rounds to zero, and it gives them more opportunities to start to inject more advertisements from their well-established video ad marketplace.

Sony Entertainment had to source the content without being in a position to strike reciprocity agreements, and they outsourced 100% of their content distribution to 3rd party companies so they had no control over those costs.

techguy88 and mjwagner like this.
  7. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Maybe it's not as tightly controlled internally, but it's likely to cost less to outsource than to do internally. I'm sure Disney has looked into both costs and profitably of running their own CDN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Google always impresses me.

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The people I know that have actually cut the cord because of financial constraints all seem to use Sling. Sadie's other grandmother had to drop cable simply because she couldn't afford it. Got Sling and loves it.

Rich

10. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    AT&T loses another 1.2 million TV subscribers as DirecTV keeps tanking

11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Sling’s biggest fault is no locals at all IMO. Other than that it is cheap and has a good selection of channels. I used Sling Blue and found it had all 9 of the cable channels I wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never heard that about the locals. Is that a regional thing? I'll have to ask Sadie when she comes back.

Rich

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Not regional, SlingTV just doesn’t do broadcast channels. Keeps the cost down quite a bit doing so.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Didn't know that. Always thought it was a straight cable replacement service.

Rich

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Actually it is a nice few skinny bundle service, none including locals. Dish has even allowed for no locals with their satellite subscriptions these days. Good move on their part IMO since it allows those that can get OTA without paying for it and allows for a reduced rate if you choose to do so.

16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    You can read about the locals here

Live TV Streaming | Sling TV

Rich likes this.
  17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That actually seems rational. Good for Dish. Wish they had YES.

Rich

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    LOL! You and your sports!!

If I tune into either a baseball game or the golf channel I always ensure the recliner is fully reclined so I can get a good nap! Used to be just golf that was so slow, but these days baseball and football are right there too!

19. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Yeah I Gave up on Baseball in the 1980's and Since the DVR was created -I only watch Football games Recorded & FF thru everything and can watch the entire game as played in 1 hour :)

For the Super bowl -I will record the 4K Game and I am recording the SB HD game as Backup -Just in case -However the Thursday Night 4K Football Games did very well :) SO I'll be watching it at 10 pm instead of 6:30 -For me FF-Skipping Half time is a real blessing

Rich likes this.
  20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's what makes the HRs so great for watching sports. With remote securely in hand you skip thru the commercials and all the talk and only watch the plays. Hard to fall asleep when you're that busy. Baseball games have far too many things going on that aren't related to the action. Football games on an HR are even shorter.

Rich

TheRatPatrol likes this.