1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No "Chuck" this Monday (2/9)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by bobukcat, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1 of 24
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Due to the Presidential Press Conference scheduled for 8:00 PM EST on 2/9 NBC is skipping Chuck all together and I'm bummed. I mean the show was just on a break for a full month and we miss another week after just one episode, that stinks!

:kickbutt:

2. Feb 7, 2009 #2 of 24
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Does stink, I was happy Chuck was finally back. O well, at least next week it will be here with new episodes.

3. Feb 7, 2009 #3 of 24
    IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Is NBC the only network covering it, or is the guide not up to date for other channels?

4. Feb 7, 2009 #4 of 24
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I would think the others would be covering it. It might just be not up to date or they will not show it in the guide (they do not always list president addresses).

5. Feb 7, 2009 #5 of 24
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    ...because, you know, we just HAVE to have all networks covering EVERY speech and press conference. I mean, it would be different if, perhaps, we had some way of communicating the vital information to the masses. It's not like we have channels dedicated to news coverage all day, every day. Or networks that are partially funded by government funds. After all, everyone MUST have a TV and CAN'T miss this. I don't know what happened to all those town crier's we used to have back a couple of hundred years ago. What was it they used to spread the news? Oh yeah - that old invention - "paper", I think they called it. It's kind of like your computer screen only it's thin, flexible and can't refresh - but it's got really good resolution.

You know, maybe we could get gobs and gobs of this "paper" stuff together and digest the news EVERY day. Maybe we could collect it all and put it in a convenient format - maybe even deliver it to people's houses every morning or sell it on streetcorners..

Naahhhh. It'd never work.

6. Feb 7, 2009 #6 of 24
    trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    All the over-the-air networks are indirectly dependent upon the government -- they need local affiliates to broadcast their programming, and the affiliates need a license from the government to be able to broadcast.

One of the requirements to hold a license is a willingness to provide public service, and carrying network news programs (as well as local news programs) is a great way for the affiliates to fulfill that obligation.

When the President speaks, it's news; when the President states in advance that he's going to be saying something important enough that he would like the message to be disseminated live, it's news.

(I also note that there are going to be 30 Mondays out of the year when a new "Chuck" episode is not going to air, and nothing is going to change that. If there weren't a Presidential address this coming Monday, then there would magically be a special episode of "Deal or No Deal" airing on a Monday in March, or something along those lines.)

7. Feb 8, 2009 #7 of 24
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Yes, when the President speaks, it's news - no argument there. But does that mean *everyone* has to cover it? There are innumerable other outlets there. I suspect that the reason NBC is showing the President is because of their ratings. Leno joked that the woman in California who now has 14 kids could double their ratings just by getting her family to watch.

The President's message will be previewed at 6, by the networks at 7, recapped at 11, all over the morning talk shows by 6 the next morning, etc.

You won't be able to miss it, short of going into a cave.

8. Feb 8, 2009 #8 of 24
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Thats the joy of having so many independent networks.

9. Feb 9, 2009 #9 of 24
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    It's not working any longer. Newspapers are in serious trouble. Somehow they figured out it was a better move to give away the updated news on the web and then try to sell the old news the next day.

10. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    It doesn't help directly -- Presidential addresses don't officially show up in the Nielsen ratings because they aren't "sponsored." (Same deal with any other news coverage that doesn't have commercials.)

11. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Yup, somehow "Tonight's State of The Union Address is brought to you with limited commercial interruptions by BMW" just doesn't have a good ring to it......;)

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    All the networks are doing it from 8-9 according to Zap2It other then CBS from 8-8:30. They moved Big Bang to 9:30.

Whatever, like I care if the pres speaks, big deal. I'll watch hockey instead, Rangers/Devils. Should be more entertaining. If there is anything important I'll catch the headline online in the morning.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It will be interesting if anything is said about the DTV Transition.

As for the saturation of the networks, it may have been possible to get the PBS stations to carry the addresses, but I'm thinking they're still a little bent out of shape by the delay and not feeling particularly charitable.

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Ford has had some success doing the limited interruptions thing (the American Dreams episode was awesome) but Dodge proved that it doesn't always work.

15. MasterJ789

MasterJ789 New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Didnt seem to matter when Bush gave speaches. He wasnt on any of the networks yet what he said still managed to be seen by the people that wanted to hear what he said. It is simply the liberal media campaigning for barak.

16. Ice29

Ice29 New Member

Feb 9, 2009

I was wondering how long this thread would go on before someone brought up the "liberal media."

17. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    Ughhh, I was so pissed when I went to watch my recorded CBS Monday night shows and it's all out of order :mad:

Thanks a lot Osama

18. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    There is no requirement that the networks carry the president. I did find a New York Times article from 1988 on how the big 3 networks opted not show the presidents speech on the contras.

This was P-BO's (President Barak Obama) first press confrence to the American people, there was no way the Big 4 were not going to cover it. To mention the liberal media has no place on the forum for one thing secondly The Oval Office only interrupts primetime to get an important message out to the American People. To do otherwise would create a boy who cries wolf mentality among the fickle American people. Also there are already articles about how much revenue the networks lost tonight when money is factored in the network will do with out the president.

P-BO is new and he is news, what is new will become tiresome and old. Americas love affairs with our elected officials are short lived and based on how well we percive them to be doing. I highly doubt we will see the networks give up time during Ameican Idol or CSI.

Primetime interruptions have been and will always be a fact of life.

19. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Agreed, no need to bring politics into it! :nono:

I also agree that interruptions to PT have and will continue to be a fact of life - I was just unhappy they didn't show Chuck and Heroes and skip something else! Selfish perhaps, as I'm sure others wanted to see Medium but they can post for themselves! :lol:

20. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Let me reiterate what I said in a previous message...

Because it didn't air last night, now there's going to be an "extra" new episode of "Chuck" sometime between now and the end of May, probably airing in a week in which there otherwise wouldn't have been one. And that's the best way to look at this.