1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No D* for me

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by agreer, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 4, 2007 #1 of 53
    agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    The installer just left...I cxant get D* because I dont have LOS without going outside my balcony...and because he said that the dish I would be getting, the AT9 would be wider than the one meter limit.

Is there ANY way that I could get D MP4 HD without the damnd dish? I just want Sunday ticket, but I cant get the dish, I cant get ATT fiber here, my only other option is Comcast, and I will not do that again...

I REALLY want D* hd and Sunday Ticket...surely D* has some kind of fallback for renters without LOS or big dish authorization...

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 53
    agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    Is there any companies that wire apartment complexes that I could get to start cold calling the management?

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 53
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Your line of sight may be a problem, but I would surely have my doubts as the installer doesn't know what he is talking about regarding dish size. It is only about 32 3/4" at its widest point. Ask for a supervisor to come out and evaluate your install.

4. Aug 4, 2007 #4 of 53
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    The AT9 is not wider than 1 meter. Do you not get any SAT's from the balcony itself. As mentioned above, getting a supervisor involved sometimes help.

5. Aug 4, 2007 #5 of 53
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Sorry to hear that you are not able to have the 5 LNB dish mounted. But if you want the new MPEG4 HD channels you will need to have a 5 LNB. Also the MPEG2 HD channels that you are able to receive right now with a 3 LNB dish will be move to MPEG4 at some point probably within a year of the new HD channels starting and you will need the 5 LNB dish to receive them.

As far as NFL Sunday Ticket goes you can receive that with any dish. With a 3 LNB dish and the NFL Super Fan package you will be able to receive the games that are offered in HD on Sunday Ticket this season but they will be moved to MPEG4 next season and you will need a 5 LNB dish.

6. Aug 4, 2007 #6 of 53
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    As HDTV pointed out... the AT9/ATU dishes are NOT larger then 1 meter. They are within the FCC guidelines

7. Aug 4, 2007 #7 of 53
    HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    Sounds like the installer may not have wanted to put any more effort into it.

8. Aug 4, 2007 #8 of 53
    DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Also, you can get Sunday Ticket SD with the old 18 X 18 circular dish.

But I agree with everyone else on the 1 meter HD dish issue.

9. Aug 4, 2007 #9 of 53
    agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    He said that is was 44 inches wide,I doubted it but didnt question it.

when I grilled him for ANY option, he said that there was nothing that could be done and i was out of luck...apperantly Directv doesnt give a darn about young customers with disposable incomes who happen to live in apartments...If they cared about apt dwellers, they would have devised a compact works-through-walls solution like Sirius and XM.

10. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    I have a big HDTV, I wouldnt pay $5 for ST SD

11. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    Dont know, the whole visit was 4 minutes and all he brought in was his clip board.

12. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    I would call your local install company he was from and ask to have another installer come out or even better a supervisor. To me it sounds like he just did not feel like doing the job.

13. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005

Well, if you think you can get LOS, then call D* back, and explain the situation. Be polite and calm. You'll get much further. However, if you simply don't have LOS to the SATS because you're facing say North, then nothing is going to help short of putting it on the roof. Which, my guess, management ain't allowin' that.

D* does care, but it's not all in D*'s hands.

14. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

+1 Unfortunately there have been too many reports of lack of enthusiasm by installers. I thought they were paid by the job.

15. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    agreer, you seem to flip-flopping between two problems.

LOS and/or the dish size.

If its LOS, then size doesn't matter (sorry couldn't resist the pun). But if size does matter and you have a landlord problem, then here's the FCC facts and law summary on the matter. Again the dish is less than the law limits.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Now regarding the XM and Sirius comparison, the way they do this is because each one has placed over a thousand land based repeaters in major metros. They are selectively placed and certainly not everywhere.

Things to consider.
    1. An audio repeater system is very inexpensive vs. a video system with hundreds of channels taking up thousands times more bandwidth.
    2. There aren't any land based channels available to duplicate the five different satellites bandwidth needs. Spectrum doesn't exist.
    3. Both Sirius and XM have never made a dime of profit. They are in deep trouble and asking the FCC to bail them out by letting them merge. Economically their fixed costs are killing them. At least the TV satellite providers are better off.

Good luck with what you end up doing.

16. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    They are but I also think they get paid something even if they go out and cannot do the job because LOS or something like that. I am not 100% sure about that I kind of remember talking to a installer about that a few years ago. Maybe RobetE could let us know.

17. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    I just called D* installation support and asked for a 2nd guy and the guy on the phone said "no, if the first guy couldnt do it, the second guy won't either." and asked if I just wanted to close my account and get a refund...I said yes and proceeded to express my displeasure at the fact that a company like Directv can't overcome this kind of an issue...If we treated a customer that way in my line of work, we would be prepping resumes if you know what I mean.

18. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
  19. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    Not good enough because it doesnt exist now: If D cant deliver the content to everyone who wants it, they should not be allowed to have exclusives on OOM sports... That is pretty much how my letters to my congress people3 are going to start...

NFL ST is as much of a monopoly abuse as MS and IE in the early 90s...the NFL is a monopoly and should be treated as such

20. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Like mentioned earier, if LOS is the issue, everything for an immediate solution is moot. I still would persue the supervisor issue, I know you said you tried. Call and ask for retention, I am not one to be pushy, but in this case I would certainly get another opinion. Try a local installer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.