1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No E! in HD, HBO's more ...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by kryscio23, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1 of 13
    kryscio23

kryscio23 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    I wrote to Customer Service asking about E! in HD and here is what they told me today:

"Thus far, no plans have been announced for us to carry E! in HD."

I also asked about ESPNU in HD ...

"Please be advised at this time we do not carry ESPNU in HD." ... they had no further comment.

I also asked about the HBO/Cinemax HDs that we were supposed to get a year and a half ago and directed them to one of their own press releases. Their response:

"I understand you would also like to see HBO 2 West, HBO 2 East, HBO Family East and West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, and MoreMax in HD. HBO West, Cinemax East and Cinemax West are already available in HD. I apologize for the delay in launching these channels, but we currently do not have the capacity to carry all of these channels in HD. ... I apologize for any frustration this may have caused and appreciate your understanding and patience. We value your opinions about our programming, so I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management, who review every suggestion and inquiry."

And for those of us in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton DMA who are looking for the MY Network (would be nice to have it!!) WQMY, here is their response:

"We have also not come to an agreement with your local My Network TV."

Frustrating is the key word, indeed.

2. Dec 6, 2008 #2 of 13
    donkeylips

donkeylips Legend

Jul 16, 2008
    Really old news are the key words.

3. Dec 6, 2008 #3 of 13
    kryscio23

kryscio23 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Well at least I don't have Donkeylips :lol: :p

4. Dec 6, 2008 #4 of 13
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    1) Why are you listening to anything a CSR says? They don't know anything.

2) There have been very large threads on this recently. ;)

5. Dec 7, 2008 #5 of 13
    myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Well, we don't even have MNTV available here in Harrisburg (only on a digital subchannel).

6. Dec 7, 2008 #6 of 13
    Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008

Your experience is pretty common. CSR's know very little, and will tell you nothing. Speaking with a brick wall will yield more useful information than speaking with a DirecTV CSR.

And as for the company living up to its press releases ..... lol, you must be kidding. Lately, their press releases have become more marketing tools and hype than valid, factual information. The Undisputed Leader is fading, IMO.

Jeff

7. Dec 7, 2008 #7 of 13
    tbpb3

tbpb3 Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    IF You want to be frustrated, just look at Verizon Fios tv line-up.
    The Leader in HD

8. Dec 7, 2008 #8 of 13
    QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    While this seems like the standard CSR "no comment" about new channels, I do find it interesting that they said they don't have the capacity for the HBOs/Cinemaxes, but did not say that for ESPNU or E! This might be a clue about how D* intends to use the HD capacity they have left before D12.

Of course, since the OP seems to have requested every HBO and Cinemax in existence, which it was already pretty clear D* didn't have capacity for, it doesn't completely rule out HBO additions.

9. Dec 7, 2008 #9 of 13
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Really? You may want to reconsider that, since FIOS isn't even available to most people in the country.

In any event, CSRs don't know very much more than what they can say on the phone (though a good number of them know more than they let on but also know what they can say and when).

In short, hang around here and pay attention mid-week every week. Local PBS HD affiliates and a few others are beginning to be rolled out, and Directv 10/11 have room for 12 - 17 new national HD channels which are likely to be rolled out as well in the coming weeks.

And unlike FIOS, they will be available to nearly everyone in the country when they do. :)

10. donkeylips

donkeylips Legend

Jul 16, 2008
    I dont find anything a CSR says to be interesting. The only conclusion I would draw from any CSR comments is that they dont have a clue what they're talking about :)

11. Jared701

Jared701 Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    You realize this isn't nearly true right? There is a large portion of the population who live in condos/apartments. Many of those do not have view of the southern sky and there can be line of sight issues for others too in addition to people in condos/apartments. A large portion or a majority would be better statements as I'm pretty sure there's at least 10% of the country which could not get D* due to something stopping LOS.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I'd say he's completely right....

You say your guess is 10% of the country can't get Directv... Well, that means nearly the whole country can.. where as I'd say that less than 10% of the country can actually get FIOS..

AND...

Not all current Fios subs get the same programing because they are in different markets, and it takes time for them to roll out channels across all their networks...

ALL current Directv customers will get new HD channels when they get turned on, regardless of what market they are in...

I can easily say that there are a lot more people that can't physically get FIOS than there are people who physically can't get DIrectv or Dish...

13. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Haha your right, how is a csr going to know what channels are going to be added...you learn more on dbstalk than anywhere else.