No fast forward on recordings?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by beer_geek, Jul 27, 2019.

1. beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    The Genie software updated Thursday. I watched a recording today and now we're not allowed to fast forward during commercials. Are they trying to get more people to drop the service?

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    was it a on demand recording?

3. beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    No. It was a regular recording.

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Are you sure??? check which channel it recorded on

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What was the program and from which channel was it recorded?

6. beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    Love it or List it on HGTV 229.

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    the answer to your question is no they havent done that and your original post just makes it seem like you want an excuse to change service

but i would be willing to bet money your actual recording came from 1229 which is why you cant FFW

8. beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    Most certainly not looking for an excuse to change service. The On Demand recording are 43 minutes without the commercials.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes but often they actually add in commercials and take more than 43 min. The commercials go where the tick marks are on the playbar.

10. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    If they ever actually do that, they are insane. That would be my last straw and i would leave after 15 years of being with them.

11. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Me too.

12. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I reported this as an issue in this thread:

Satellite v. OnDemand

It has been happening intermittently for months, and one of the channels it happens on is 229, the others being 231 and 232. I was able to "prove" it was actually recording an on-demand version of a program my wife watches when I saw the yellow record light on the DVR at a time I knew nothing was scheduled to record. I turned the TV on, and my DirecTV DVR (HR44) was tuned to channel 1231 and recording an episode of Chopped.

The only way I could stop it from happening was to disconnect DirecTV from the internet. It hasn't happened since, and since I never watch anything on demand, I don't care if I don't have an internet connection.

SMK

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Wrong issue. You were recording a on demand recording. He was but didn’t think he was

14. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    No, it's not a different issue. I thought I was recording a regular channel, but the HR44 automatically changed it somehow to an on-demand channel. Did you read that thread???

SMK

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I dont need to I know how On Demand and recordings work

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The TS of this thread said his show was recorded on 229 and he couldn't FF.
    The shows you couldn't FF were from On Demand channels.

So there is a difference.

compnurd likes this.
  17. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I would bet that the TS thought he was recording a show on 229, but that it really recorded from on demand channel 1229. I know now this was happening, but I didn't know it for a long time because I NEVER set up any recording from an on demand channel. I would set up a show to record from the guide channel 229, but that is not what recorded. Instead on some occasions the recording came from 1229, and that was why my wife could not fast forward through commercials on that recording.

SMK

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    That wouldn't surprise me either, but when specifically asked, he said it was channel 229.

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In a thread similar to this one I said I'd never seen any on demand channels appear on my Playlist that I didn't program. I gave this some thought and I have seen those on demand channels appear on my Playlist. And the same thing happened to me, I couldn't use trick-play properly. I've never had that problem with any channel other than on-demand channels. It is disconcerting when it happens but I think it only happens when trying to play a program from on-demand channels. And the Genies do record on-demand channels at times without being told to do so.

Rich

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Beginning to think the Genies are capable of recording on their own. Now my 44 keeps recording Yankee games on channel 105. I can't find channel 105 on my Guide. And the 44 keeps recording the Red Sox games on NESN, a channel I can't pickup.

Rich