1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No HD Receive Facility in my DMA - Bad News for Me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dduitsman, May 7, 2008.

1. dduitsman

dduitsman Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    Northern...
    I am trying to determine if my DMA is likely to get HD LIL's when the additional capacilty of sat D11 comes online.

Based on the extra capacity from D11 - it seems possible...

But according to the D* info page here, my DMA (Rockford IL #139) does not yet have an HD Receive Facility.

That would appear to be bad news regarding my LIL's going HD soon - right?

Or can an HD receive facility be setup in short order.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

dd

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    First, that list isn't accurate, as it shows my DMA (Little Rock,AR) as SD only. I have confirmed with local station engineers that we are on the short list for HD locals on D11.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the SD locals on Directv now, are actually the stations HD feed, with the sides cropped off, which means the infrastructure is there already. I'm not sure how it gets from the receive site to the uplink site, but I wouldn't think it would take long.

My concern would be the 50 or 60 DMAs larger than Rockford, that are also waiting.

I installed a nice OTA system, since we rely heavily on TV during tornado warnings here, and that's the MAIN time the sat signal goes out. Need OTA to be able to keep an eye on the radar and know when to hit the bathtub with the pets and pillows.

You are in a great OTA spot...you should be able to get Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, and Quad Cities with a good yagi and amp...lots more that Directv will ever provide you.

3. dduitsman

dduitsman Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    Northern...
    There are some 59 larger DMA's also waiting for HD locals - however this post and other posts in the same thread seem to indicate that, with D11, there should be enough bandwidth for my HD locals.

(That particular post is talking about D12 bandwidth as well - which we won't see for a while; but if I read the thread correctly my DMA could be included once D11 is lit up.)

So your post is encouraging to me - that the lack of an HD Receive Facility may not necessarily mean "no HD soon". Because it doesn't mean that for Little Rock.

Regards,
    dd