1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No install for you..............

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by serial lurker, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serial lurker

serial lurker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    ok - I just finished with a real dud installer who declared " must make hole in your roof ....you won't get a signal unless put hole in roof"

um sir I have a dish mounted now - see its right there on my roof. (it is mounted on a 2 foot pole on my roof

"No good - I don't have the tools for that type installation" ' was his response.

I could tell he had his head up his ass from the beginning when he wanted to know what the "white " cable was.

My garage is now a den and even though I have a line in there he couldn't add a second one - IMPOSSIBLE he say.

Same thing with the bedroom - IMPOSSIBLE he says

So I have had D since 1996 and now I cant get a signal with the new dish? Nice!!

Calling D next

2. bigref

bigref Legend

Sep 11, 2007
    Yea, call D* ask for retention and tell them what happened.

I have had service very few times. In the past it was my AV store that did all the installs
    What has happened , or has it always been this way with the installers. I found out last time the guys were out that Mastec was no longer serving Baltimore. Took me 5 times to get my Slimline mounted to a pool. In the end, I had the guy leave the pole. I put the pole in the ground and just had them install the dish. Found this site and then bought an acutrac and did the tweaks myself, with LOTS of help from this site.

3. serial lurker

serial lurker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    I'd never heard of "mastec" til now but that's the company that was going to do the installation. I really am not having much luck with D* and sure am frustrated.

I just knew from the minute he walked in my house that he was clueless. THe guy who did my 2nd install just kicked ass - even hooked up outside connections and left me tons of cable so we could watch sports outside with a fire pit.

Anyway I have wasted a day off of work for nothing - suX

4. serial lurker

serial lurker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    D* gave me $120 credit + 3 months free showtime for the "missed" appointment.

Rescheduled for next Friday.

Now I get home and they want to change til Monday which I can't do.

This is getting agravating

5. Annihilator31

Annihilator31 Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    I worked in Richmond, VA for Mastec as a contractor and I'll tell ya that there in-house guys don't know much. Their training consists of a one day ride along and a half a day in the classroom, then it's out the door they go. Now, part of the problem is that they try to hire good people but no one applies, so they hire whatever they can get. When they do get a good technician, they will work him or her to death and when that person gets burned out, they quit. It happens all over the states, in some places more than others. To top it off I am making the same amount per job now as I was seven years ago when I started this, plus now the demands are higher and companies like Mastec and Premier want us to give away more and more stuff at the technicians expense.

Free basic standard installation means the standard installation is basic, thats 's why it's FREE!

6. serial lurker

serial lurker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    I 'm in Mechanicsville Virginia . My tech who did my last install was better than great. He was outstanding and professional. He exceeded my expectations at every turn

So how do I get a good tech from Mastec?

Can I pay another company ? - How much does it cost? Its not a complicated install - i additional line to the garage / den and ideally an extra one in my bedroom. Both easily accesible.

7. bigref

bigref Legend

Sep 11, 2007

I would rather pay someone then have the "Free Install"

The problem is D* makes it difficult to just "get the stuff" When I got my 1st h20 the installer came out with the "new dish" and the receiver. I didn't have the correct pole for the 5LNB dish. I told him thats OK , I have my locals OTA, leave the receiver and come back next week with a sleeve to put over the pole. I will sign that I got everything today. He wasn't going to leave the H20 until I got nasty. Told me he would be back Monday afternoon and gave me his cell. Called him, told me he was still coming out, then stopped answering the phone.

Long story short, got my money back from AX and 6 months later got another H20 and the new dish.

What a pain

8. serial lurker

serial lurker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    Round two was today - and again "no install for you"

First guy never climbed on my roof - he just called his supervisor. While waiting for the supervisor we talked about my setup and he began questioning how many lines could go into the multi switch - it was not a confidence building moment.

Anyway the supervisor says that the mount I have now won't work as the new dish weighs 50 lbs as opposed to 6 lbs. Fair enough

Additionally there is no line of site; its a miracle you get a signal now - you won;t have one within a year. Sorry and good bye.

So it appears that divine intervention is going to let me watch the St Louis Rams go 0 - 16 this year and then I fully expect to lose all satellite reception.

Any suggestions?

9. 248 F1

248 F1 Legend

Sep 22, 2007
    AU9S
    To be used to pick up high definition local channel programming from DIRECTV
    • Slim Profile makes this dish aestheticly pleasing for areas with Home Owners Assocciation
    • The windload of this dish is too much for standard tripods, we only recommend Heavy Duty Satellite Tripods
    • Dish size: 22.5 in. x 32.5 in.
    • Includes the Azimuth/Elevation mount
    • Four outputs carrying satellite signal from all Five satellites in the sky
    • Heavy duty j-mount with 2" outer diameter mast opening
    • Capable of receiving DIRECTV satellite signals on the Ku band (101°, 110°, 119°) and Ka band (99°, 103°)
    • LNB arm with LNBS attached extends 23.5" from the dish surface area
    Weight: 25 lbs (including J-mount mast, dish surface, LNBs, arm and pole attachment)

New installer or DIY.

10. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    And how, I wonder, did he determine this? Obviously you have LOS now. If you are physically able to get behind your current dish, the LOS is at least 20 degrees above the apparent point at which the dish is pointing. If you currently have a 3 LNB dish, the Slimline will be pointed about 10 degrees further to your left looking from behind it, and will encompass an arc of about 25 degrees starting just about at it's new pointing position and then on around to the right. If you have a round dish, no adjustment is necessary as to where it's pointing, and the same arc, skewed to the right would apply.

If you currently use a 3 LNB (101/110/119) dish and have signals on all 3 satellites in the 80's and 90's, you're virtually certain to receive all the signals you should on the Slimline. If this is the case, I'd call D* back and tell them these facts and make them send a different company. Where the trees are going to be a year from now is not the installer's primary concern. You can jump off that bridge when you come to it.

A round dish would be another matter, as you would need to cover that 20 degrees to the right of where your round dish is pointing, and you may in fact not have LOS in that direction. You could actually probably live without being able to receive the 119 at all, but no ordinary installers are going to want to fool with you, because they use it to set the tilt. It can certainly be pointed precisely without receiving the 119, however, by someone who knows what they're doing.

Also, please see the dishpointer.com website and enter your exact location for a lot of helpful information. You will be requesting info for the 99 and 119 satellites, to cover the entire arc. In addition, you may still have time to Use Sun or Moon to Choose the Best Place for Your Satellite Dish. If your day(s) have passed, you may still be close enough to use this handy method.

I gather a pole mount is out of the question, because of trees, but that's your best option , if you can do it.

11. serial lurker

serial lurker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    In fairness I have to admit my present set up is unusual - see the attached pictures.

I tried to trees blocking the LOS in perspective in the 2nd picture

Attached Files:

12. 248 F1

248 F1 Legend

Sep 22, 2007
    Difficult to tell from that angle. Why not have that taller tree topped?

13. 585960

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    looks to me that the dish could have been lower, than on the peak. If the dish was more to the left on the roof (lower) it would have been in the valley of the trees to either side of the house. Genious!!

14. serial lurker

serial lurker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    I'm taking charge and getting all of em topped this week - $350

I love D*

15. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    From looking at the picture, I am certain the guy who installed my 5LNB would not have done it with that tree there.

They don't want people calling and complaining a year or so from now when they lose signal. Many would try to get out of their contract, or at the very least, they might have to relocate the dish. (Not that you would do that, but that is the fear.)

The install company in this area makes really sure there are no LOS problems, now or in the forseeable future.

16. chopperjc

chopperjc Godfather

Oct 2, 2006
    http://www.mastec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=75

These are some senior guys at Mastec in VA, I know some of the guys in Florida. I do not know anyone in VA but I would call one or all. I have found after a phone call I get a good installer. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.