1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No install today, but....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by soccercoach61, Sep 11, 2009.

1. soccercoach61

soccercoach61 Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    Well, I just had an interesting experience with a DTV installer. They were scheduled to come out this morning and install a SWM lnb dish, 3 HR22/23's and two standard receivers. The guy showed up on time and said he couldn't get a good LOS (live on a golf course bordered by trees). He said there were some really good spots way up on the roof where they could shield the dish from the view of the course (which would make the HOA happy), and it would never have a problem with LOS. BUT, DirecTV would not allow them to physically get off of the ladder and up on the roof to do the install because of OSHA reasons. He said there were some contractors in my area that would do it and he gave me a couple of names and numbers.

Then he paused and said wait a minute, let me call DTV and see what I can do. Went out to the van, made a call, and came back in about 5 minutes later and said can you be here next Wednesday morning. I said no problem, but what's up? He said that DTV would pay to have a contractor come out and do the install for me. I spoke with the DTV rep and confirmed the appointment and what they were going to do.

Never had that happen before...

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sweet. Keep us posted.

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    All he did was reschedule your appointment which will go through his office. So either he's going to let his boss know about the installation and have a sub do it that's not an employee of the HSP or you're going to get the same answer again.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
  5. soccercoach61

soccercoach61 Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    Thanks for the link BattleZone, I guess I'll have to see what happens on Wednesday. The roof where the dish needs to go is about +/- 24' off the ground, and because of the gables, it would probably be an eave mount.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Eave/fascia mounts haven't been allowed for Ka/Ku (aka Slimline) dishes for over a year, so hopefully there's another option.

7. soccercoach61

soccercoach61 Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    Well, there's over 5000 sq ft of roof, so hopefully they can find something. Can they be mounted on the roof surface itself? What about at the top of one of the gables? There are a couple that come off the back and are still low enough they can't be seen from the front of the house.

8. Talos4

Talos4 Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    It has more to do with OSHA regulations than anything else.

In the roofing industry anyhting more than a 4:12 pitch REQUIRES total fall protection gear to be in use while in the roof. Roof height enters as a consideration, it's more roof slope than height.

Some companies will spend the time and money to properly train and outfit their employee's, others not so much.

Compliance in a Can cost upwards of $125-200 each. Add in OSHA training and you have about $500-1000 invested into each employee. Add a 40' ladder which really needs two people to properly set and carry safely and the cost can add up.

9. soccercoach61

soccercoach61 Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    This is definitely a steeper pitch that 4/12.... more like 14/12 up on the main roof

you can see from this pic the clearance in the trees (on a golf course):
    [​IMG]

side view:
    [​IMG]

it's about 26'-28' to the top of the gable in this pic:
    [​IMG]

here's the other side view of the same gable
    [​IMG]

Just below the chimney is where the installer said they should put the dish, what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,
    Chuck

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Without knowing which direction is which, it's hard to say.

11. soccercoach61

soccercoach61 Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    I guess that would help... the back of the house faces Southwest... the dish would clear the trees and have an unobstructed view of the sky. I really meant can it be installed on the flat surface of the roof below the chimney, and would that be a suitable spot.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I wouldn't put it there, because in a couple of years, that palm tree will block it and make it impossible to access.

13. soccercoach61

soccercoach61 Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    Thanks BattleZone.. the picture is a little deceptive, that palm is an ornamental and is fully mature. It's about 12-15' below the chimney. My iPhone camera seems like it's distorting the side pictures for some reason...

Anyhow, if it were not for the palm, would an installer think that is an acceptable location (assuming clear LOS)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I could do it, depending on exactly what my ladder access is. That roof is too steep to be climbing on, especially at that height, especially when carrying 28 lbs of unwieldy satellite dish, so I'd need to be able to work from the ladder.

15. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    As long as the ladder is tall enough to reach the gutter, shouldn't be a problem. That's a pretty steep roof, but the intersecting roofs just below the chimney will make it a piece of cake to walk up.

Installing the dish would be a piece of cake, running the lines may be an issue.

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yup,

Only place for the lines is behind the downspouts. Clear quick ties...get the dish on the same wall as the e meter and any interior cable prewire drop.

Joe

17. soccercoach61

soccercoach61 Legend

Sep 24, 2006

You were exactly right... they sent another local D* installer out and I got the same answer. I'll give the guy credit, he did try to find a spot on the lower roof (off the ladder) and couldn't.

I've got a home theater installation company coming out on Friday with the equipment needed to get up on the big roof and see what's up.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll keep you posted....

18. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    Its to bad DTV dosent think its installers can make the judgment on wether or not to climb on a roof.Asphalt or wood shingles are easy to work on as long as it’s dry. It doesn’t take a lot of training to make it safe to climb almost any roof. A good extension ladder and roof (hook) ladder and at times a safety harness. I’ve been climbing roofs for antennas and dishes for 20yrs with never and incident. Accidents do happen however and OSHA rules and insurance costs must have made it impossible to get your average DTV tech qualified to step on a roof. Taking the time to put safety first is sometimes lost with inexperienced people, so a no climbing on a roof policy may have been the answer to DTV. Your Install looks a little harder than normal but not impossible. That’s why there are companies like the one you found (and the one I work for) are around.

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Actually, they do in most cases.

You hit on the main issues: training, safety equipment, and insurance costs. Since DirecTV wants to offer "free installation", there's no money to pay techs to go to safety training, equip them with roof safety equipment, or pay for the extra insurance. A contractor may be able to do it, but it would be custom work, and most customers aren't willing to pay, especially due to all of the "free install" marketing, even if they're willing to pay a home theater company 5 times the amount.

Keep in mind that satellite installers have a very high turn-over, so any additional training and equipment means a big increase in up-front costs, and with rates being cut to the bone and a dozen ways to get charged back, there's just not enough money in it to offer more advanced installs in-house.

20. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island

I think that it's more of an HSP rule than a DirecTV rule. With all the trees here on Long Island, I'd be willing to bet that at least 33% of all dishes are located on a spot that required the installer to climb on a roof.

My roof has a 12/12 pitch and by dish is mounted very close to the peak. I've never had a DirecTV technician say anything about having to climb the roof.