1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Local Channels from central to most all of western Virginia?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by MAVERICK007, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAVERICK007

MAVERICK007 Legend

Aug 29, 2006
    There are no D*TV local channels offered in most of central and western Virginia! This includes the cities of Charlottesville(UVA), Staunton and Harrisonburg. However, Dish Network has offered 3 of 4 local Charlottesville affiliates for over a year.
    Is there any where I can check to see if locals are on the horizon for our area? :beatdeadhorse:

2. MAVERICK007

MAVERICK007 Legend

Aug 29, 2006
    Yes, I have written directly to the General Manager's of the local affiliates with only very general responses. No commitments or hard info.

3. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Probably not the answer you want, but these are VERY small DMA's. They rank in the 180's.

I suggest you "move" into either Roanoke or Richmond DMA's. By "move", I mean call D* and tell them you moved and give them an address located in the DMA of your choice. The go online and stop paper statements.

You should be in the spotbeams for either one.

4. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    D* is likely to give you your locals...as soon as ALL the HD moves off the 119 and 110 sat.

When's that? I'd say over a year, but probably less than three.:rolleyes:

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    In the recent filings for the Liberty buyout of DirecTV, a condition of the buyout would be that DirecTV must provide SD locals to all 210 markets by the end of 2008.

So assuming the buyout is approved they are coming. Once they get HD off 110 and 119 they will have a bunch of bandwidth to do just that.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Where did you find this?

I'm dubious about such an idea for a couple of reasons:

1. New Corp and Liberty Media are the ones making the deal for 39% of the DirecTV stock and some RSNs. Other parties will still own 61% of the DirecTV stock. Presumably, the only approval required is from the shareholders of both companies (News Corp shareholders recently approved) and maybe a blessing from the FTC.

2. It probably isn't economically feasible to turn up the smallest markets and gummint regulations wouldn't seem to be holding a gun to their heads. There are doubtless much higher return ways to spend the bandwidth; especially in cases where DNS is an option.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    More details regarding DirecTV's plans to fulfill the News/Hughes LIL commitments:

As part of the previous News Corp FCC proceedings (aka News/Hughes) DirecTV did in fact commit to hitting all DMAs by 2008. As always, the interpretation of "by" a date range is key.

In DirecTV's response filed with the FCC on April 9, 2007, they reaffirm that they intend to provide LIL service to all 210 DMAs, but leave the door open to the idea that it may not come via satellite:
    It will be interesting what measures that they will take to make this happen and whether or not there are penalties for failure to meet the commitment.

My theory is that in order to offer "seamless, integrated local service" would seem to demand that the affected subscribers would be provided with receivers and/or DVRs capable of tuning analog OTA channels if the channels aren't available via satellite. I'm have not idea how they might address "white areas" or whether they would be required to deal with them at all.

If this "offer" to sustain the News/Hughes SD LIL agreement remains, it should be good times for the unserved DMAs (unless they're getting DNS now and want to keep it).

8. rkjg24

rkjg24 Legend

Apr 23, 2007
    I didn't know they were going to move all the HD off of the 119 and 110. That's just going to be great, hearing the griping from the people with anything but the H20 and HR20.

9. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Its been the plan for going on 3 years now. And in addition to the H20/HR20, you will need a new dish as well.:eek2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.