1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No locals doesn't seem legal !@#$%

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Poco Askew, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Poco Askew

Poco Askew AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    Since so many people have difficulty obtaining waivers for distant locals, I assume it must be legal for our local stations to deny us access to HD programming. I contacted the FCC about this but their response was, “we cannot provide legal advice.” Legal or not, it doesn’t seem right that a company can arbitrarily deny us the ability to get HD content. Because I live in a mountainous area an antenna does not work. A dish is my only alternative and neither Dish nor DTV have any info or time line for getting the big four networks here. Any lawyers out there? I'll step down off my soapbox now.

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Actually, I doubt very much that the stations are denying you access to their HD locals. I suspect that the satelllite providers have simply not negotiated a distribution agreement (possibly because of lack of room on their various satellites or simply the size of your market isn't big enough). I also don't have my HD locals (with Dish), even though Directv does provide the same HD Locals to their subs here.

3. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Do a lot of people have the same problem?

The local stations might be persuaded to put in a translator station to serve your area, depending on how many people it would serve. And, they could also be licensed to community associations or local county governments, as well.

Only problem, the licensing may not be available until the 2-17-09 analog cutoff has been acheived.

Write a nice letter to your local stations....better yet, to your local area newspapers, too. It might drum up some support.

4. Poco Askew

Poco Askew AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    Maybe I should restate the issue I have. I agree my local stations would like to provide me with their signal through DTV. What I'm looking for is a conditional waiver to receive the networks from L.A. since I can't pick up the signals via antenna and DTV doesn't offer them.

When I ask for the waivers the stations tell me "No." Their reason is that they have offered the programming to DTV so they won't allow me to have the waiver in hopes I will lobby DTV to provide them. I have asked repeatedly for DTV to pick them up, but without success, so far.

DTV says it's a matter of capacity. They need to provide programming to as many customers as possible and because we are in a rural area, they have to serve the larger markets first. This makes sense to me even though it doesn't help me. At the very least it is a credible excuse.

I'm fine with receiving the network signals from my local stations, but until DTV has the necessary capacity, I feel like (many others) I am a pawn in the business strategies and tactics of my locals. Their decision is completley arbitrary and ultimately punitive to those of us unable to receive their signal. It doesn't seem right for them to be able to deny me the ability to receive HD programming one way or another. I also believe the locals have a much greater chance of changing DTV's decsion to carry their signals than I do.

5. Oct 1, 2007 #5 of 18
    pzieger

pzieger Cool Member

Jun 2, 2007

Forgive me for being vague but I remember reading somewhare about classes of signal strength. You have to be able to receive a certain level of signal to be denied a waiver. You petition for the signal to be read at your location and if the
    signal fails the requirements they have to give you the waiver. You'll have to search for the procedure. I'll try and find the source again.

Pete

6. Oct 3, 2007 #6 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It is worth mentioning that the upcoming mandate for 2009 means that all broadcasting will be digital. It doesn't promise, nor does it even imply, that all broadcasting will be HD. Your local affiliate would be completely in compliance in broadcasting a 4:3 480i signal, as long as it was digital.

What I'm saying is, there's no law saying you gotta have HD.

7. Oct 3, 2007 #7 of 18
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The stations are telling you you can't have a waiver because IN THEIR OPINION you can receive their digital signal OTA. It's got little or nothing to do with their wish to get their signals on DirecTV. The only thing you can do is challenge that opinion. What's your zip code, let's see what the OTA prediction sites say...

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 18
    davewps

davewps New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Here's one: In Palm Springs the local CBS affiliate, KPSP does not have a digital signal on the air; only an analog channel. However the local cable operator (Time Warner Desert Cities), carries KPSP-HD, which appears to be a feed for a digital transmitter that KPSP isn't yet operating. Or maybe licensed to operate.

In any event, KPSP has denied my waiver for HD distant local programming; not only does it deprive me of HD programming on CBS (unless I subscribe to cable), but it is clearly preferential treatment to the cable operator over DIRECTV AND DISH.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 18
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Now THIS is weird. Dish is receiving the West Palm Beach CBS channel in HD, downsizing it to SD and sending it to their subs in SD. West Palm s not an HD city at this time. The picture that we get is a 16x9 that is chopped to 4x3. The CBS logo is cut in half on the lower right corner. Everyone on screen appears to be in closeup mode.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    :welcome_s davewps!

I think that the Coachella Valley is in line to get locals through DIRECTV within the next year, so hopefully a waiver won't be an issue.

11. Poco Askew

Poco Askew AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    My ZIP is 97540. Because of the rural nature of the area this ZIP covers a fairly large geographic area. We live up a valley at 2200 feet between one large and one medium sized mountain (both over 5000 feet).

I used AntennaWeb. It tells me NBC and ABC are a little over 40 miles away and need the largeer antennas. CBS is not listed. Are there other similar resources?

12. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006

The D* HD DNS Qualification web page shows that you live in a Grade A, strong signal area, so the stations would either have to grant you waivers, or you would have to arrange for the signal test.

13. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    The DirecTV CSRs know how to manipulate you. You are their pawn.

It is DirecTV's decision to not carry your local station in HD on their satellite.

14. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Sorry... that isn't entirely true.

DirecTV needs to have a carraige contract in place with the content provider, in order to carry it... if it is not covered by "must-carry" laws. (and even then they have to have a contract in place).

So in a lot of the cases, right now, with HD LiLs not being availble in some markets (Especially one channel, when the others are there)...

Is because the company that holds the rights to the broadcast to that area... are not willing to come to an agreement with DirecTV... or have set things at a point, that DirecTV is not willing to agree to it...

Either way... It is not just "one" entity that is deciding it.

15. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    I know this may already been rehashed but you are in DMA (local service area) 141 which means you are in a smaller DMA (number means you are in a DMA that is the 141st biggested service area). Part of the issue is bandwidth and carry agreements, but D* or E* (I bet is on D* right now because of bandwidth) will start to launch additional satellites so they will able to offer the major 4 local channels. There is hope however if they have gotten DMAs in the 100 range local HD channels that you might see a smaller service area (like Medford-K-falls) will be getting them in the near future. But to your first point it is not illegal to not carry local HD channels.

The rules on distance locals is only for areas that have no local OTA (off air) channels or RVs. If you get an RV you can get a waiver for the account but other than that the FCC has really has come down harder on the waiver process. They are in the process of auditing (from what I have been reading) current distance local accounts and verify if they have the right to get the distance locals. So even if you got the waivers (which is very unlikely) you might not be able to get them long. Sorry my friend. You are in the same boat as a lot of other individuals but the satellite companies are getting there. It is not pretty but it is reality.

16. dbstv

dbstv AllStar

Jul 30, 2002
    Dish does not offer all my locals in HD PBS CW MY couple of Independent Stations they do not carry

Were I now live no locals with OTA antenna

I check it on antennaweb.org nothing for my zip

Only cable in my area has all my locals plus other digital channels I do not thing sat. will ever have space for all these station with the extra digital channel they have piggy backed to their main carrier

17. Poco Askew

Poco Askew AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    At least I've been assured by all the local stations (doesn't mean its true) that DTV does have their permission to send their signals. They say they are waiting just like I am.

Thanks for all the input, guys. Where are you finding the info about my market size and HD DNS qualification? So far AntennaWeb is the only resource that Google pulls up for me.

One last (?) question; Is it true I can request the signal strength to be read at my location and if it is not strong enough, then the locals have to grant me a waiver?

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=103152