1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Locals in SD only HD

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by dbrakob, Sep 17, 2009.

1. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    I'm in the service and stationed in Oregon and the wife in Florida. SHe just moved and took our 722 with her. She gets Tampa locals in HD but not in SD. SHe has checked everywhere in the different guides and spent an hour on the phone with Dish this morning doing hard resets, soft resets, etc. She doesn't recall if they sent her a "hit" but she seemed to think they did something like that. The tech told her he was sending out a new DVR to replace that one but obviously I am trying to avoid that to save recordings and with the new TV season starting this week/next week. My experience in troubleshooting the 722 is limited but this does not sound like a DVR problem but some kind of Dish satellite problem getting the SD channels to us.

Anybody else have any ideas? Here everyone else is hoping for locals in HD and I need them in SD.

2. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I would presume that the tech csr would have had her check this. Did she push the guide button more than once and switch it to HD only instead of All Subscribed?

3. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Have her hit menu 6 1 3, and see what satellites are listed in box g.

4. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    yes she has been thru all the guides (all, subsribe, hd) and none of them show the SD counterpart.

The eastern arc satellites show up in box g.

5. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    Ok, that's why she's only getting the HD version of the locals. In most, if not all EA markets, If there's an HD version of the channel, the SD version is not broadcast on the EA satellites because all receivers in those installs would get the HD version, so no need for the SD one. Now if she's not getting any SD locals at all, not even the ones without an HD counter-part, there's something else going on.

6. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    Puck -

Yes we get all the locals in HD so you are saying even with the new box we won't get SD counterparts? Since I won't be joining her in Florida for 2 months we are trying to tape several broadcast shows (Lost, House, etc) in SD so we do not run out of room on the DVR.

7. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    That's the short of it. On the EA satellites only the HD version gets broadcast if there is one (for locals). I can't say that's true for every market, but I'm pretty sure it is, and I know its true for Tampa.

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    SD for Tampa is on 110 satellite HD is on 61.5, may need a wing dish for 110 to get SD locals.

Installer should have put in a D500 for 110, 119 and a D300 for 61.5.

9. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    No, installer did correct install. That's how pretty much all if not all of the EA markets are.

10. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    You may want to call explain whats going with Dish, so some CSR roulette, and try to get the External Hard drive activated for free. Have you wife record the shows, and then archive them off to the EHD, you will never regret getting a EHD for your system.

11. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Technically Tampa should not be Eastern Arc. Those markets that are Eastern Arc have there HD Major channels on SD minor channels on satellites on the satellites that make up the Eastern Arc . If they don't Customer's and station can file suit for not carrying these minor channels.

12. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Ditto GrumpyBear's comments! We don't know how we ever lived without the EHD. And it's so easy to use - this would be a perfect solution for your situation!

13. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    Already have 2 EHDs full of stuff. Not interested in having a collection of EHDs. After talking with another Dish rep yesterday who did not know the answer and asked his supervisor who did not know anyway was told to "try" the new 722 and see if I get SD locals.

Pretty much know now (thanks DBStalk) that my option is to get another dish pointed at 110. Habing two dishes on the roof is an option but not preferred. Maybe I will go for that 3rd EHD after all. Sure takes up less room and less of an eyesore.

If I decided to go the 110 route someone mentioned a wing dish. Is this an attachment on the current dish or just another seperate one next to it?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

14. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    If you're referring to the non-major networks (aka not the big 4) as minor channels, those are on the eastern arc satellites in Tampa. The only locals he isn't getting in SD are ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, which he gets in HD.

15. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    Separate dish with a line from it to the LNB input on the 1000.4 LNB

16. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    thanks puck.

17. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    Any time.

18. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Perhaps the new satellite launched yesterday will allow Dish to move the SD locals for these mixed EA cities to an EA satellite instead of a WA satellite.

19. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    My guess would be possible, but not probable.

20. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    By the way, thank you for your service and thank you to your wife for being a great support system for you!

!pride