No More AM21s?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by susanandmark, Oct 17, 2015.

1. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    My parents live in an area where they're in one major metro's DMA, but are actually physically closer to a smaller city with its own broadcasting area. Anyway, they've always got the networks from DirecTV from the major metro, but also used an AM21 to also get the channels from the other city. Anyway, my dad went to watch something on it last night and noticed it was not working. I walked him through the troubleshooting steps (restarting receiver, trying to redo initial antenna set-up) and nothing helped. Anyway, I just assumed the AM21 had gone bad, which has happened before, and told him I'd get a new one and install it for him during the holidays.

Well, went to order one this morning from Solid Signal, as I have successfully in the past, and the only available options are $150! Did a web search and they seem to be selling used units on eBay for $100+. What's going on?

Last time I purchased a few years back, I think they were $50-$60. I know DirecTV hasn't been sending them out for a while, but they were still available, last I knew.

Anyone know what's going on?

2. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    What is a AM21. I think it is a OTA Antenna.
    If it is, why is it going thru a receiver ?
    Easiest way would be to connect it to the COAX Jack on the TV.
    Then just toggle the (2) in-puts. Satellite and Antenna
    Eliminates all the extra steps.

3. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    The AM21 allows you to record over-the-air content on a DVR and, more importantly in this case for my folks, access it all in one screen/input. I was just curious if anyone knew why they're suddenly unavailable or selling at 3x the original price. This usually indicates a change in DirecTV hardware.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Quite likely that they're not being manufactured any more. I don't think they ever really sold very many.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    But prohibits you from recording....

6. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    Where do you get a AM21 ?
    How do you connect it to a DirecTV DVR ? What IN-PUT ?

7. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
  8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    There was just a thread on this the other day where people were still able to get them from DirecTV (many were getting them for free). You have to call in and get the CSR to look in some strange page that they don't normally look at in order to find it. Many people were actually receiving an AM22 which was a previously unheard of model that looks to have been originally made for the latin american market (the instructions are in spanish). Do a search on AM22 and you can likely find the thread.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    It's really a confusing situation right now....

1) The AM21 has indeed been officially discontinued from manufacture and distribution by DIRECTV, yet some CSRs are still able to dig them up by consulting certain detailed parts and accessories lists.

2) Of the CSRs that can locate it, some are giving it away for free. I had a CSR just recently who found it, but said he would have to charge $50.00.

3) There has been a suggestion it is replaced by the "AM22" which is virtually indentical to the AM21, but with a dull black metal case instead of glossy black. Yet the one example of an "AM22P-700" posted had a date of manufacturer of 2011??? :confused:

EDIT: AM22 model# corrected.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I believe the am22 is the am21n. That's my guess anyway.

11. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
  12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's actually labelled as AM22P-700, from what one person got.

One thing to keep in mind on these, when connected to a Genie, you can only record two things at once OTA (of course you can still record 3 other things over sat), and it doesn't allow you to record 7 things :)

Also, the age old issue of no scanning, and the channel/subchannel must be in the database. If the channel ID exceeds 65535, it cannot be added to the database.

13. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    Ended my service with DTV a few weeks ago and have an AM21 sitting in my garage. I thought I paid for it free and clear but wasn't sure. Guess I'll post it up to ebay Sunday morning and see what it will go for. I used it quite a bit here in the Orlando area. Nice complement to the DTV channels.

14. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    so what options are there for those of us who will need OTA when we upgrade our receivers?

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    AM21s are always owned. They are fairly "dumb" no activation or access card.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No actual clarity yet from DIRECTV (AT&T) on this issue as strange at that may seem.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    While there aren't a large number of people using AM21 or H20/HR20 for OTA, there are enough that they would definitely have to make some sort of announcement well in advance if they planned on discontinuing it. So I wouldn't worry about buying one today and having it be worthless a month later. Worst case it would be worthless in a couple years.

If they are planning on replacing the AM21 with a brand new model they won't announce anything. We'll find out the same way we always do about new Directv hardware, there will be a rumor thread here or at satelliteguys.

18. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Not willing to pay 3x the cost for the same product, so at this point I'll play wait and see, and figure out what to tell my folks after I see if anything new pops up in the next month or so. I know that he, and both my siblings, all of them in different areas of the country, have DirecTV and everyone but me has the AM21. (We can't get any OTA here.) How much it's used is another story, but the initial impetus was to get it for the sub channels not offered by DirecTV, after having been used to having OTA on board with HR20s. Know my sister-in-law was pretty insistent on it to keep the PBS sub channel, which plays the kids shows 24-7, but that was pre-Netflix, and when her kids were smaller, so not sure how necessary it is anymore.

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe there is a power difference for newer receivers, matte black and signal strength doesn't go to 100 (but is identical in use).

But now we have this AM22P, which really doesn't look different either.