1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more blissful trust in paperless billing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TerryB, May 30, 2009.

1. TerryB

TerryB AllStar

Feb 26, 2008
    :(
    I happened to catch the Amex bill before the wife got it today and found I have been getting ripped by DTV. Instead of the ~$85/mo bill expected this month was for $150 including Showtime and a service call. This service plan item is on the on line statement about 2 inches below the $5.99/mo for the protection plan. It took about 45 minutes and two levels to get a satisfactory settlement, but I will be checking the statements every month from now on.

I mention the SHOWTIME because it arose from three months free we were to get because of possible outage from hurricane Ike. It turns out the started billing me from Nov 1, the day when the three free months were to start.

:eek2:
    TerryB

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I check every bill every month - paperless or not, and always have. I've caught quite a few mistakes from various providers over the years.

3. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    That is why I am not on paperless or auto payment.

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    This error has nothing to do with paperless... You still need to check your bill.

5. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I always check my bill every month and fond errors now and than, funny that i have found that they never under charged me.,but they always fixed it and sometimes give me a freebie or two.I have auto pay and it is still better than writing checks.

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Very true. I'm always amazed at how may people never check their statements and just pay a bill. Do you not check your credit card and bank statements closely each month to make sure your identity hasn't been stolen and false charges have appeared? But many people still don't.

Anyway, sucks that there was a mistake on your bill, but paperless has nothing to do with the problem. You have learned that you need to check your bills, no matter what. Good luck.

7. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    I order "paperless" bills for all my accounts so I can download them monthly (normally .pdf format) and store them on my computer. Direct TV paperless is aggravating because they can only be PRINTED. Why would I want to use MY printer paper and ink instead of THEM mailing me a bill? So, for years I've been cutting and pasting the information into a WORD document, then it doesn't fit correctly, etc., etc. Takes SOOOO long. Since they are the only website I know that doesn't use a downloadable .pdf format for their paperless bills, it takes me forever to manipulate the information every month for computer storage. And, yes, I've called and written them and they are unresponsive. Now I'm thinking of just calling them and requesting a printed bill every month so when I get it "I" can scan it into my computer in a .pdf format. Would be a thousand times easier than what I'm doing now. Sorry, I digressed a bit from the original topic. lol

8. josetann

josetann Legend

Oct 2, 2006
    Have you tried "printing" directly to a pdf file? Works for me.

9. ebockelman

ebockelman Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    Install one of the PDF printer drivers and just "print" to PDF.

10. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    I trust DirecTV about as much as I trust any big company. I don't trust them at all. You would be an idiot to allow them to auto bill you.

11. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    Auto-billing isn't a problem. Failure to manage you finances by checking every bill carefully (whether paper or online) is the problem. It's a lot easier to get someone to deal with a problem if you can both get online at the same time and see the issue. If you have to deal with paper and phones and their computer, you have a much greater chance that resolution of any problem will get screwed up.

And notice that auto-billing shouldn't be taken as automatically drafting your account -- two different things. Auto-billing to a credit card can be handled -- auto-drafting from your checking account opens all kinds of potential problems.

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    In case someone is not familiar with PDF Print drivers, here is a link to one that is free. And the good news is that it doesn't have pop up advertisements! Link To Free PDF Driver

13. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Paperless billing -- good

Autopay -- bad

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Auto Pay with DirecTV is a big problem. They make an error and charge you an extra $150. You then spend the time to call them and they generally WILL NOT issue a refund to the credit card...instead they will try to refund the mistaken amount with service credits over a number of months. If you try a charge back through your credit card company DirecTV will generally terminate the account and start ETF proceedings.

As for paperless billing there is one issue. The bill you see is the bill as of the date you look at it online...it can be changed. A paper bill gives you a snapshot in time. Does DirecTV change the bills online? I don't know.

15. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    I've caught a few errors in my Online/Paperless Billing, but not as many as there were when I was receiving a paper bill. Every month I was on the phone w/a CSR regarding all kinds of billing errors; got a whole lot better after I went to the online/Paperless. Regardless, chech it.
    Trust no one.......:nono2:

16. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I've been on paperless billing/autopay for a long time. I ALWAYS verify that the bill is correct, and maybe my experience isn't typical, but I've never had a problem.

17. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I have Autopay set up to go to my DirecTV credit card, so I can get the $5/mo credit for a year. I haven't had a problem yet, but I check it online every month to be sure there are no mistakes.

Also, you can check the billing online about 2 days prior to the billing cycle, to be sure you are receiving all your credits.

18. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I deal with Bank Of America almost exclusively for everything related to money, except for my car payment, which I had no choice in the matter and in a year and a few months from now it won't be an issue. But anyway, I log on to my online banking a few times a week and keep an eye like a hawk on four out of five accounts, Checking, Savings, Visa and American Express. I use credit for everything, including a 99 cent pack of gum. I use Visa for every day purchases and all my reoccurring monthly autopay charges go on my MasterCard. Since prices don't really fluctuate by much or often I can give you the exact amount of my MasterCard bill every month down to the penny. Hence why I never bother to check it on a consistent basis. Although this one will be $25 less thanks to my AT&T Wireless Refer a Friend credit. If it's off I'll know as I have email alerts emailed to me when my ebills are paid and all three of my credit cards are paid off in full every month on the date the ebill arrives which is usually the day after the closing date. While I know that's not the smartest thing to do, I do have faith in the companies I deal with, and oddly enough, while I don't have a whole lot of reoccurring charges, most of what I do have are posted near the 17th of the month which is when my MasterCard closes, so even if there was a wrong charge on something I wouldn't see the credit until next billing cycle anyway.

I also have email alerts to notify me of direct deposits. Before I had it, there have been instances where other people I work with have had issues with direct deposit and not getting their money in their account for one reason or another. Every Thursday at around 6 in the morning I get emails confirming the deposit into my accounts.

I also keep an eye on things with Bank Of Americas iPhone app, which I love, but wish you could see credit card transactions instead of just the balance.

19. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I have paperless billing with DIRECTV and auto-bill to a credit card, and have never had a problem.

First, I use Quicken to manage my finances, and have scheduled transactions for my services, including DIRECTV, that automatically appear in my register. Then I use Quicken to download my bank accounts and credit cards daily to Quicken and I match charges to my expectations.

I get an email notification from DIRECTV when my bill is ready, and I use Adobe to print to PDF. DIRECTV keeps the last 3 years of bills online, and I've never noticed line item differences from my PDF copies to prior online bills.

So when I get the new bill I review it compare it to my expectations. On top of this, I go to Recent Activity on my DIRECTV account and copy the information into Excel, where I have a macro reformat the data. I do this because I'm in my 8th month of a $5 12-month deal, so I verify that everything's what is should be.

If I see ANYTHING out of line, I immediately call. I have never had a problem getting a credit on the next bill for a mistake (ex: one time they charged me for the DVR fee when it should have been included in the package price).

I'm very happy with e-statements and auto-billing with DIRECTV. :)

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Exactly. Auto-bill is great. Every month I get more points/perks on my CC.