1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more HD for older sets without HDMI?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Redlinetire, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 6, 2007 #1 of 26
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Interesting note over at EngadgetHD about how providers may start forcing customers to use an HDMI connection for HD signals so that the copy protection software will work - basically forcing those of us with older HDTVs to upgrade:

"Now it appears that the door may be opened in 2008 by providers who might require that you use HDMI with HDCP or watch your HD on your older HD set at 480p"
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/12/06/will-2008-be-the-year-for-selectable-output-control/

You can bet I'd drop DirecTV pretty fast if they did this! :nono2:

2. Dec 6, 2007 #2 of 26
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    What does Directv have to do with it? If it happens, it will be cable, OTA, Satellite, everywhere. I can not see Directv unilaterally implementing this.

3. Dec 6, 2007 #3 of 26
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Really? Over the air? How exactly....?

4. Dec 6, 2007 #4 of 26
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    My thought exactly.

5. Dec 6, 2007 #5 of 26
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    This sentence was interesting...

"According to Scott Greczkowski from SatelliteGuys.us, DISH Network has recently started instructing their installers to use HDMI and that if the customer's HDTV doesn't support HDCP, that they shouldn't use HDMI at all -- better to be downconverted, then to not be seen at all."

6. Dec 6, 2007 #6 of 26
    trekologer

trekologer Legend

Jun 30, 2007
    If you have the HD OTA tuner intergreated into the HDTV then it would probablly not have problems should this be turned on. Otherwise, if you need something else to receive/decode the HD signal (external tuner, set top box, receiver, cable box, etc) then you will only be allowed to display 480p.

The reason for this is that the insane copyright industry wants to make sure that you can't watch their precious content unless they can control how you watch it. Does that suck? Yes it does. Especially when you consider that if you can watch or hear it, you can record it.

This is all coming from an industry that is bat**** crazy about protecting their own copyrights but doesn't matter if they violate others'.

Here's a hint to electronics manufacturers: if you want to make a bundle of money, simply build a set top box that can have these "protections" turned off and then leak how to do it. Your sales will go through the roof and you can blame it on an diagnostic mode that no one was suposed to know about.

7. Dec 6, 2007 #7 of 26
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    If it should come to the point of forcing viewers to HDMI, I'll probably just give up TV watching...:)

8. Dec 6, 2007 #8 of 26
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    'tis true, but I suspect that we're a long ways from this happening ..

9. Dec 6, 2007 #9 of 26
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Well their posting says it's expected in 2008 so it's not that far off (if it's true).

And as tonyd79 pointed out, supposedly Dish is already directing to HDMI or nothing...

I wouldn't mind be 'forced' to upgrade so much if they still made HD CRTs.

Sigh...I think I'm getting too old for this crap. :lol:

10. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    I am not buying the blurb, it's complete BS. I can't see forcing those with older HD sets to be screwed over. Just b/c Dish is having installers use HDMI, doesn't mean those without HDMI are screwed. HDMI would be the preferred method of install on all HD installs. 1 wire and done. Saves the installer time messing around with cables. How it means that those without HDMI are SOL next year is beyond me. Grasping at straws IMO.

11. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Whoa, the article actually got the story right and seemingly everyone here misread it.

The article says it's either HDMI w/HDCP or no HDMI at all. That doesn't exclude component. It's all dumb, but the people who control the DRM are more concerned about un-encrypted HDMI/DVI than about component. This can already be seen in how it is not allowed to even upconvert a DVD past 480p over unencrypted HDMI.

So those who have to worry are really those who have computer monitors w/non-HDCP HDMI/DVI ports. The rest of us can use HDMI or component.

The broadcast flag is dead, so this wouldn't apply to OTA content (presumably even if delivered by satellite), but the cable channels (who are not regulated in this way by the FCC) can do whatever the heck they want. It wil amost certainly be PPV (including VOD PPV) that puts any of these restrictions in place first.

12. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Well,
    Just had a brand new Vip722 installed on today, and no mention at ALL from the dish installer, about a HDMI cable at all, my TV has HDMI, I use Component, and optical cable, and he just used what I had already. I had the cables, plugged into my Denon AV Reciever.

13. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Not that it's directly related to this article, but many upconverting DVD and HD-DVD players will ONLY output HD over HDMI. If you connect via component, you are limited to 480P output. It may be true for Blu-Ray players as well, but I do not know for sure.

14. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players will play HD movies over component at 1080i. They will not upconvert SD DVD's to 1080i over component.

15. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    ^Yep, One of my HD-DVD players is connected to an old Mitsu 65" RP. No HDMI, but component works great for HD-DVD's at 1080i. Regular DVD's only play at 480p and are not upconverted.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know that there are any current plans to implement HDCP on DIRECTV receivers. Not to mention, there is no real viable consumer-level HD recording device for the family room yet.

I do know that the DIRECTV installers I've talked to say HDMI is their first choice for a hookup, it's easier and the customer is happier with one cable.

17. MIMOTech

MIMOTech Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    For those that have older tv with VGA/DVI or Component inputs there are converters that will take the HDMI and convert it to VGA/DVI or component and includs full HDCP compliance and will get full resolution. I am currently using such a device on an older 30 inch CRT HDTV that only supports VGA/RGB and component, with no issues. In fact there was a nice improvement in resolution by using the HDMI output of the H20, instead of the component output.

18. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    Can you show me an HDMI to component converter that will pass a 1080i signal via an upconvert DVD player?

19. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I've been expecting that the HT receiver mfg's will be implementing this. All of my stuff runs to my receiver. The only thing that plugs into my TV is the component cable output from the receiver. It is quite logical that the HDMI\HDCP can be implemented in the receiver, making the TV irrelevant to the equation.

20. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I know jack about the specs and what not, but I love HDMI, less freaking wires!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.