1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more simultaneous HDMI and Component?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GLM441, Mar 19, 2013.

1. GLM441

GLM441 New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    I have my component feeding a remote tv and HDMI feeding main tv. Now the remote tv picture is flashing. It does this with regular (TBS, HGTV, ect) and premium (HBO, Cinimax). Has directv disabled this setup? Is there a workaround?

2. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    i have had cables fail and show this symptom in the past.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    There have been many posts about trying to do HDMI and component at the same time being an issue for channels such as HBO, Cinemax, Startz, Showtime, etc. This is because of HDCP over the HDMI connection. When the TV hooked up to the HDMI output is turned off it no longer completes the HDCP handshake, so the DirecTV receiver locks down all outputs because it thinks you might be trying to copy the content. When this happens it usually displays a pop-up telling you to switch to component though.

In your case this doesn't seem to be the problem, since the flashing hasn't been mentioned before and it has never been an issue on channels such as TBS, HGTV, etc. (I just mentioned the first part in case others find this thread through the search function because of the issues I mentioned above). Either this is a new problem, or there is an issue with your setup.

We need more information. Does this remote TV have the same issue on other inputs? What if you hook up a different device to the same component inputs? Can you move the remote TV into the same room as the DirecTV receiver and try a shorter component cable between it and the DirecTV receiver. Can you try the component outputs hooked up to the same TV as the HDMI ouputs (using a shorter set of cables). We need to narrow down the problem to see if it is the TV, the component run between rooms, or the DirecTV receiver.

4. GLM441

GLM441 New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    I checked the problem on another tv, same problem. I had the problem with HBO blanking/flashing on the remote TV when the main TV is turned off. I used the powered HDMI splitter workaround. Further checking found the same problem as before, when the main TV is turned off the remote flashes. Now it does it with HBO ect & TBS. I wasn't able to get behind the TV (major PITA) but sounds like my powered splitter is bad. Anyone have problems with the Monoprice 1X2 Mini HDMI® Splitter w/ 3D support.

5. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    It sounds like the HDMI splitter may be defective. Either exchange it or try another brand. I've been using this one (http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Powere...63806819&sr=8-1&keywords=sewell+hdmi+splitter) for over a year with a DirecTV HD DVR without issue.

6. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I had this problem with programs on Showtime, had to unplug the HDMI cable on the main TV to get the remote/component output to work again.