1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO PIXELATION

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by perryville, May 23, 2009.

1. perryville

perryville Mentor

Apr 22, 2009
    So here's the thing with my 722, I have a great view - my satellite strength is very strong (64) and I have L618 software. I am getting green lights on satellites 77 72 and 61.5. I primarily use my SD TV w/ SD Channels - I only use HD for sports in my theater.

A lot of the programs I record are choppy. Sort of like a scratched CD. I know what pixelation is like and this is NOT pixelation I tried rebooting, I doubt it's signal strength related as we havent had any bad thunderstorms of late, but a lot of my DVR recordings are choppy, I rarely notice it on live TV. I just got the dish a month ago and still have like 45 days left on warranty from the install as well as the DISH protection plan. I hate foreign tech service reps - I'm hoping somebody on here is more knowledgeable and has had similar problems and can give me some tips/fixes.

Thanks for your help!

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    What type of of DVR do you have? What is the number of timers/timer events/ and dish passes do you have? What channels are you seeing the choppyiness on? Need to know more about your set up.

3. perryville

perryville Mentor

Apr 22, 2009
    Ron,

I am seeing the choppiness on HBO/Showtime/Cinemax. I have a 722 - I think i mentioned a great number of details in the OP.

I have 11 passes right now, and the occasional movie which I try to record at night while I'm sleeping. I'm very angry about this because the wife will sit down to watch something and when the recording doesnt work i hear it - loudly!

Any thoughts?

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While I'm beginning to hate saying this here, I have this problem also with both my 722 and 612, along with the other problems I've noted as a "me too" - audio dropout, freezing, and pixelation. And this problem occurs intermittently on premium, cable, and local (satellite feed) channels. The choppy thing started when Echostar half-a$$ed "fixed" the ViP622/722 audio dropout with L6.XX releases.

Since I have these problems in both my 722 and 612, and they didn't go away when my switch was replaced and reports of these problems are starting to appear on the 722k threads here, I'm sure it's caused by the foil helmet I wear, not Dish's system of data compression. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know.... :beatdeadhorse:

5. perryville

perryville Mentor

Apr 22, 2009
    so for all those fact finders out there. Last night I was watching superbad on one of the premium channels. Then around 11 I flipped over to the NBA game to watch the last 5 minutes. I was recording superbad on TV1 watching the NBA on TV2. When I went back to watch the movie - it was all choppy. When I was watching it I didn't have a single problem, but the DVR playback was choppy as all hell. I'm calling DISH tomorrow because it doesn't seem to have much to do with the feed and more to do with my equipment.

I'm suprised at the lack of response here. Any posts in the general discussion forums seem to generate TONS of responses.

6. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    I think the lack of responses are because most of us are not seeing the problem. At least I don't see it on my DVRs. Like you, I suspect it is something wrong with your equipment and not a wide spread issue.

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The lack of response is because there is a whole sticky thread titled ViP622/ViP722 - Report L6.18 Stuttering/lip Sync issues here. And there are lots of examples on other threads like these:
    I did not start seeing it until the L6.XX releases. I have had two 722's during this period, both of which have it. I also have a 612 that has it. As I say, it may be hardware, it may be the foil helmet I wear, or it may be Dish's system of data compression.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    By the way, this video problem which we see here frequently called "studder", though not exactly the same, is similar to this description:
    And like the audio dropout problem (that remains after "the fix"), in watching five hours of recorded TV in an evening it will normally appear maybe three or four times for a second. Like the audio dropout, my wife and I don't always notice it at the same time. It is generally at worst a minor annoyance. I don't complain to Dish more than once about minor annoyances. And I doubt that most people even "see" it unless you were to specifically ask them.

Since many here swear that they never get it, I have to assume it's my foil helmet since it has occurred on two 722's and a 612, did not occur prior to L6.XX and was not fixed by the switch replacement.:sure: