1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Previous Channel In New Guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rwmol, Feb 14, 2012.

1. rwmol

rwmol Cool Member

Jun 28, 2011
    What happened to the Previous Channel function when the Guide is open? This was a great feature. The rest of the new GUI is much better IMHO

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The "Prev" button on your remote works regardless of what screen you're on.

3. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Hmmmm....I thought I tried that the other day and it no longer worked, but I was messing around so much, I might have just thought it didn't work in my frustration over losing all the trick play functions while in PIG.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It doesn't work when you first bring a unit out of standby, or after a reboot, because there's no previous channel. However if you change the channel from the one it's on when it comes out of standby prev will start working.

It also works to get you out of a recording and take you back to live tv on the channel you were watching before you started your recording.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or the other way around.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I have them as long as their are previous channels that have been tuned to since the unit was last used and not off(in standby)...

7. rwmol

rwmol Cool Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Example: I'm watching a program, I go to the Guide, scroll to another channel and select enter. Watch that program for a moment, then gring up the Guide again and press the Previous button. All I get is a "clunk". No previous channel. This function used to work before this new GUI.

Thanks

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If I'm reading your post correctly...the previous button will not work with the guide up on the screen...it may have worked with the previous GUI. Honestly, if I wanted to switch to the previous channel I was on, I wouldn't have brought the guide up 1st then press previous, I would have just hit previous to save the extra useless keystroke.

9. rwmol

rwmol Cool Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Correct, but read on.

The purpose of the Previous button is for those of us who don't have a command of every channels number. The only channels I have put to my lame brain is MSNBC (356) and TCM (256). Number sequences obviously.

That said, here's the purpose. Be patient. Example: I'm watching a movie on FXHD (248, I think). A commercial comes on and I want to see what on CSPAN1 and CSPAN2 but if nothing good return to the movie. With the prior GUI, I could open the Guide, page down to CSPAN1 and select it. Then open the Guide, press the previous button to bring the movie back up in the preview screen (This keeps the movie as my previous channel). The Guide will still be on the page displaying CPAN1. Then scroll down to CSPAN2. Select it for a quick look. Then simply hit the previous button to return to the movie. this procedure can no longer be done with the new GUI. Seams complicated, Huh?:confused: Not really.

The idea was to be able to quickly preview "multiple" programs without loosing your original channel.

Again, that said, my post might very well be mute. I could simply press Info and go to last 4. It's Been fun expressing my frustrations with the change, though.

RM

10. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    Hey RM,
    I expressed your exact frustration in another thread about a week back an no one responded. Guess they weren't onto the quick trick we use(d). My hope is that DTV fixes this problem in their next iteration of the new GUI. After all, whats the PREV button for? Seems like they are killing a lot of remote button functions lately.

11. yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    I guess that is so you can avoid it at all cost :nono2:

12. rwmol

rwmol Cool Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Sorry I missed your thread. I searched and couldn't find anything similar. This issue may seem small but, frustrating none the less.

I'm assuming you only watch FOX. I watch both. After all, if a judge only listened to one side of a case, can he/she really make an educated decision?

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    A good idea is to stay away from launching any political comments, e.g. any channels thought to be Left, Right, Center or Fringe...:grin:

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The problem is related to the overall fact that DIRECTV, for reasons unknown, has chosen to disable all trick play functionality of the video running in the PIG when the guide is up in the more recent versions of the HD-GUI.

Believe me many (me included :mad:) are angry about its removal while others don't mind it so much. See the long thread (one of many posted on this issue actually) here for instance.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=201827

15. rwmol

rwmol Cool Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks Laxguy

I gave a lot of thought to my reply before posting it for that reason. I go to great lengths to not express my politcal opinion on any forum. I do try to stay neutral.

Thanks for posting thread

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Oh, I know this one...its on FOX!!:lol:

17. sd72667

sd72667 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    I am pissed about not being able to use "previous channel button" while I am on the guide screen. This is an outrage. I have been used to this feature for years. I still am in the habit of hitting the button, only to get that stupid error "clonk" noise.