1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Rangers Kings Game for Me

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by MrBill64, Oct 7, 2011.

1. MrBill64

MrBill64 DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 3, 2006
    No Ranger game in HD on either Versus or MSG for me. No Ranger game in SD on Versus or MSG for me. The problem is I live in an area with more than one "local" team. My main local team is Buffalo. My secondary teams are the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils. My understanding is when Buffalo is playing a home game (Europe is home today for Buffalo) I am blacked out of my secondary teams on MSG. But here comes the double whammy. Since the Rangers are also one of my local teams I am blacked out on Versus because MSG has the "local" rights.

This has happened for years, yes years. Happens all the time when the NHL network covers Rangers games when Buffalo is playing a home game at the same time. Having CI makes no difference. I understand blackout rules are put in place to protect the local broadcast rights. This just makes no sense when the dozen or so times this happens every year. If MSG chooses not to televise the Ranger game to me why not let Versus?

Puzzled once again in upstate NY.

2. mulliniks

mulliniks Cool Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I, too, have Premier and Center Ice (upgraded to Premier a few days ago because I thought--silly me--that might get me Rangers games on MSG in HD, but it only got me preseason games in HD) but can't get the Rangers-Kings game on MSG or Versus. I can't get the HD feed of the Sabres game, either, but I think that's a different issue, since NHL, MSG or both are nice enough to give me the SD feed on Center Ice. I'm in Bruins territory (MSG isn't one of my RSNs, hence the upgrade to Premier in order to get MSG), but I guess I'm in the outer ring of the Rangers' territory, too. So, when Rangers games are on Center Ice, I'm still one of the select few who can't get the HD feed and, as a result, have to watch the terrible (the video, not the announcers) SD feed. But that's a different issue than what's happening today with the Rangers-Kings game. I can't figure out what purpose the blacked out Versus broadcast serves. It's not practical to buy tickets to the Rangers game (it's in Sweden). Even if the game were in NYC, I'm not driving 3 hours to go to the game just because I can't watch it on TV. I particularly enjoyed the conversation I had with a CSR about an hour ago during which I was asked to check my local channels for the Rangers game. Then I was read the schedule of Center Ice games for today, which also served no point. But I've had the same conversation enough to realize it wouldn't make any sense to lose my temper with DirecTV. It's an MSG-NHL problem.

3. MrBill64

MrBill64 DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 3, 2006
    At least you can watch the Ranger game in SD. I can't even get the SD feed on any channel! The NHL/MSG feels it serves a purpose to keep me from watching the game. MSG is my local RSN and I subscribe to CI. Yep, must be some business model I missed in college.

4. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    Spoke with MSG. They are not happy at the incorrect blackouts and would like for the league to fix them. Today's event happens too often throughout the year. It is the perfect storm event for Rangers, Devils and Isles in the outer ring markets when the Sabres are home and Versus and NHL Network are in the mix.

technical side- two blackout zones for NYC teams outside of NYC DMA. When Sabres are home, NYC teams are restricted to NYC DMA. If you have Center Ice and live in an outer ring, then you can see the NYC team on Center Ice in SD only on MSG (the first screw up) or HD on opposing tv if available. If Versus or NHL Network is showing the game, then you get totally screwed. It is removed from Center ICe and the black out is for inner and outer ring on the national outlet. In the end, only upstate NY and portions of PA and Conn get blacked out of the game. In NYC, they see it on MSG or MSG+. The rest of the country views it on the national outlet. NHL league cannot grasp this issue or figure a solution.

5. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    My best try...

Mr. Bettman,

I beg a few seconds of your time to fix an issue that has bedeviled executives at MSG and NHL over the past several years. There are two erroneous blackout issues in upstate NY that deprive 7 or so DMA's from receiving games of importance and of course positive ratings. This keeps occurring due to some communication gap between several players at both organizations. I have been in contact with MSG over the past year and they did get the NHL to fix it once, but no permanent solution has been found. The issues are:

1) The aforementioned DMA's do not receive games when Buffalo is home and either the Devils, Rangers or Isles play on Versus( non-exclusive) or NHL Network. There is an unintended glitch due to Center Ice not carrying the games and MSG only being able to show the games in the NYC DMA. A reverse mirror of blackouts needs to be placed on NHL Network and Versus to allow these markets with high interest in the games to be able to view them. The irony is that these markets are outer ring and allowed to see a preponderance of the NYC teams. The NHL is starving themselves of much needed audience.

2) The second one is a contractual issues that is crazy. When MSG and NHL came to terms on HD broadcasts it left a hole in upstate NY. On days in which MSG can only show a NY team in the NYC DMA, the HD version is blocked from the outer ring on Center Ice. Therefore, the entire country can see the HD version on MSG except the outer ring of MSG even when purchasing Center Ice.

I would be thrilled to talk to someone at the NHL about this issue. As I have said, I have had productive and positive conversations with MSG. I am just a fan who would love to see your product and happened to fit into your target audience of household income and education.

I look forward to hearing from you.

6. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    Excellent communication to the tiny commissioner. But don't expect a reply.