No signal when changing channels by typing in numbers

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BqWUDUDj, Sep 19, 2014.

1. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    Often when I choose a channel by typing in numbers on the remote ("2" "0" "5", for instance) the receiver immediately gives me the "No signal" error page that shows up when there's, say, a big storm in the area. Hitting the up or down button and then switching back brings up the channel fine.

I started to notice this a week or so ago. It doesn't happen every time (a few times a day) and I've seen it on a few channels.

Is something in the receiver starting to die or maybe some equipment up on the roof? I'll call it into dish but I'd also like to have an idea what is broken.

2. andreab@DISH Network

andreab@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jun 25, 2014
    Colorado
    I had that issue with mine at one point. Try these steps and then try to change the channel as normal.
    Press and hold the TV mode button, all four mode buttons should light up. Press the STAR (*) button, the TV mode button should light up. Using the number enter 00. The TV mode button should light up. Press the POUND (#) button. The TV mode button should flash three times. Press the SAT mode button. The SAT mode button should light up.

3. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    I'm not at home to test this right now. But you suspect the remote needs reprogramming? The receiver does repeat the digits after I type them -- I press "2", "2" shows up on the TV, I press "0", "0" shows up...

It's been years since I got the remote control to work with all my equipment so I'm a little hesitant to reprogram that and risk messing it up, unless I know there's a good reward for doing so.

4. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    What equipment do you have? Model #s, age, what signal strength do you have from the satellite? Is there specific channels that it is happening on.

5. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    VIP 722 activated in 2008. It definitely happens on channel 205 and it happened when I switched to 105 last night using the guide.
    Will post strength numbers this evening.

6. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    The four satellites are showing green on System Info page one. Status message says LNB Error, check Details and Details page has a dozen 12-12-11 errors, eight for today, four yesterday. The most recent 12-12-11 happened around the time I noticed the problem this evening. LNB Drift Detected is also shown.

7. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    From the little information provided it looks like a LNB replacement is in your future. If you don't have it add the protection plan.

8. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    Thanks. The guy's coming tomorrow.

9. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    The problem happened while tech was in house, LNB for dish with national channels was replaced. The problem (12-12-11) did occur again twice afterwards around 10pm that night but hasn't happened since.

10. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    I had a similar problem.........tech replaced, the lnb, fittings on cables, cable.......finally replaced the receiver (722) & everything was ok