1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Sem, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Sem

Sem New Member

Jan 31, 2013
    I recently had dtv hook up a dvr that wouldn't get a signal on tuner two. Finally after 3 different techs couldn't get it fixed the fourth said it was a line of sight issue and there was nothing that could be done and there was nowhere else around the house that would work either.

So I took it upon myself to cut some trees and move the dish about 100 ft up a hill where I could get some signal. After setting a pole and mounting the dish and running the coax all I can get is no signal. Searching for signal and
    0% the signal meter.

Is it to far of a coax run? I have no other options than to move the dish back to its original spot but would really like this to work. As it is now in its original spot the signal is around 82 but the sattellite I need for locals and tunner two won't pick up a signal at all?

Any thoughts

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    100 ft is a little far, but back to the original issue. A LOS issue would affect both tuners, not just one. What type of setup did you have, do you know? Was it a swm type? How many cables went to the dvr?

3. Sem

Sem New Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Two cables went to the dvr, both came from the dish(as well as a few other ways they tried to hook it up). It's a 18x20 dish. It's a sd dvr that has yet to work. They changed the lnb tried two different receivers and still nothing. My regular receivers still work in all three rooms but no locals or dvr. So I moved the dish and I get 0% signal. I realize there would be some signal loss with that run but 0%!!

I really want this to work, would love to have the dvr and the locals. I'm thinking its the coax or the connectors are wrong. Used rg6 and compression connectors

4. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    The standard? DVR has two tuner inputs to which you can connect two satellite in cables. If you are receiving a signal on tuner one, when checking signal strengths, then you shoud be able to swap the input cables. If you don't have a signal on tuner one after the swap, then you have a problem between the dish and the end of the second cable. It could be a bad connector, broken cable, bad multiswitch, etc. You have not provided enough information about the receiver and the dish type to allow us to help much.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    LOS has nothing to do with Tuner 2 not working!

6. Sem

Sem New Member

Jan 31, 2013
    It's a 18x20 oval dish with 3 lnb's and 4 outputs. Not sure what the dvr is ill have to check when I get home. They hooked it up two lines off multiswitch, two lines from dish, one line off switch and one off dish, none of these worked all had a no signal from tunner 2. Even when you switch the two cables it still has no signal from tunner two.

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You should be able to run 2 coax from LNB directly to the two inputs - If you get signal on Tuner 1 and same coax connected to tuner 2 has no signal, I'd say tuner 2 is toast.

But it has nothing to do with LOS as long as you're getting good signal on Tuner 1!

In the complete installation you need 4 coax to the multiswitch.

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    JUST CALL THE MAN!! aunt B :lol:

9. Sem

Sem New Member

Jan 31, 2013
    The receiver is a r16-500. It's suppose to be a sd dvr. I guess it is.

I did call the man. They have been here 4 times. They suck.

They tried 2 different receivers and two lnb's with the same result.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You may have had an alignment issue when you tried moving the dish. Alignment is a pretty finicky procedure, you have to be right on.

As to the 100 feet, you should be able to go that far. But the longer the run, the more important it is to use solid center conductor coax (as opposed to copper clad steel). The problem has to do with voltage drop over distance, and solid copper has less loss in that regard.

As others have noted, you need two coax from the dish to the R16. Once hooked up, if one tuner works and one does not work, swap the two coax on the back of the R16 and see if the problem moves to the other tuner, or stays on the original tuner. If it stays on the original tuner, the problem is with the R16 itself. If the problem moves to the other tuner, then the problem is either LNB, coax, or connector related.

If you are using a multiswitch (you mentioned that somewhere along the way), then you need 4 coax from dish to multiswitch, and two coax from multiwitch to the R16. Same thing though, if one tuner is working and one is not, the troubleshooting goes back to what you would do if the runs were straight from the dish. Swap them and see if the problem moves to the other tuner or stays on the original tuner.

11. Sem

Sem New Member

Jan 31, 2013
    There are only two cables going to the multi switch and four comming out with one goin to a regular receiver another going to a regular receiver and two going to the dvr

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Okay. That means you are only using the 101 satellite off that dish and not all 3 that it can see. Your satellite setup should be for the 18" round dish and not the 18x20 oval.

Also make sure the two coax from the dish are going into the correct 2 ports on the multiswitch (if it has more than 2 input ports). The 2 you want are the ones that do not say anything about a 22KHz tone (13V and 18V no tone).