No sound on ABC recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by annenoe, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1 of 25
    annenoe

annenoe Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Tried a search but couldn't find anything...

Not sure what I need to do to track the problem down. I'm getting sound if I watch live but all recordings are silent - and only on ABC.

Can anyone give me some advice as to what I should be doing to try to figure out where the problem is?

thanks

2. Mar 2, 2009 #2 of 25
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    Via satellite or OTA.

Which DVR, the HR10 or HR20?

Is audio going through the Yamaha, or directly to the TV?

You're saying if you are watching "live" on the DVR in question you have sound, but if you push record then watch it later you have no sound?

What happens if you are watching live with sound and you rewind the buffer and watch, does the sound vanish?

phox

3. Mar 2, 2009 #3 of 25
    annenoe

annenoe Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Ok - let me try to answer a few questions.

This is via satellite and on the DirecTV DVR (HR20). I backup important recordings on my HR10-250, but that's via OTA.

So, just did the following. TV has been on ABC and has sound. Backed up and had sound all the way back (where progress line is green). Then hit record, then played back recording and it has sound (where progress line is orange). But this mornings recording of GMA has no sound. And it recorded by itself, i.e., we were not watching ABC this morning when it recorded.

Sound goes through the Yamaha. And all other recordings are fine.

Ideas?

4. Mar 3, 2009 #4 of 25
    annenoe

annenoe Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    anyone?

5. guyac

guyac New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I too have the same sound problem described above with ABC, WJLA-Wash DC. I have a HR20-700 with the latest software update. And it only occurs on the HD channel. I have no audio problems with the SD version of the channel.

I can pause a program and continue to watch it without any problems, I can hit the record button once a show has begun and watch it later with no issues. The only time I lose audio if it's a programmed/scheduled recording.

I've done a reset on the receiver, I've reset by unplugging, I've done a menu reset, I've unscrewed the coax and done resets. I've changed audio settings from DD to PCM. I've called customer service and they had no clue. They did document the issue and elevate it up to their engineers, not sure if it will get the priority it needs.

We've had to record everything on the SD ABC channel so we don't miss Lost or Scrubs and numerous other programs.

Also, this only happens on this channel and no other HD or SD channel.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for you time

guyac

6. digitalfreak

digitalfreak Legend

Nov 29, 2006
    Don't know if it's the same issue, but I had issues with no sound on my recording of Desperate Housewives last Sunday. Problem was on both my HR20 and Media Center ATSC tuner, so it's not DirecTV.

7. bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    OTA recording of CBS CSI last thursday...no sound. This is not a satellite station, and yes latest FW update.

8. spnkzss

spnkzss New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I had an issue with the new SouthPark the other night. No sound in commercials or the show. Only one so far that I've had problems with.

9. GX624

GX624 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    For me, no audio on programmed recordings on NBC. All other channels fine. HR20-700

10. alexstjo

alexstjo New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    I am having the same problem with ONLY NBC.

11. kbcrowe

kbcrowe Mentor

May 22, 2006
    Same here, ABC only. These DVRs are absolute POS.

12. SirvonRohr

SirvonRohr New Member

Mar 30, 2009
    I am having problems with CBS.No sound while watching in Dolby digital. It works fine with all the other channels. I have tried, tos, hdmi and coaxial. It works just fine without DD on.

13. alexstjo

alexstjo New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    how do you turn the DD off on these units?

14. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    it's in the setup menu..

15. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    I have no sound out of Fox HD. Not on recordings, not live.

HR 20-700.

I've turned Dolby on and off, tried optical and HDMI feeds and analog red-white. No sound.

16. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I have not had anything with absolutely no sound lately, but we have had a recent rash of recordings with sound that drops out for 10 seconds to a minute or so. I think it is connected to my CBS affiliate, but can;t be sure. At any rate, I hardly even had issues of this duration prior to a month or so ago. I think that is about the time of the latest SW rev. Seems like most of these were also toward the end of a show, usually the place where they switch some things in the background due to local insertions coming up. Not sure if it has anything to do with it. The last time, I also noticed that we did have full DD as all the lights were lit on the incoming signal, just with no sound, so it could be just a broadcast issue and unrelated to teh HR20.

17. jbrychka

jbrychka New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    I have sound through DD all the time but I can only get analog sound with NBC. I use the analog outputs with the Sling Box. I have had this issue for over a year.

18. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
  19. Shades94

Shades94 Cool Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I have the same sound issues on the local Raleigh area CBS station. It drops out for 10-20 seconds toward the end of a show, then it's fine after that. This just started in the last month or so.

20. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, WRAL is having some issue that are apparently connected to something that CBS nation is doing when they insert their local ID, where the sound drops out of Dolby Digital then comes back. Maybe this is related. Whatever, it is darn frustrating.