1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Sound on Commercials

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by robinandtami, Mar 30, 2011.

1. robinandtami

robinandtami Cool Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I'm having the oddest issue on my 722k. I have ONE local channel that is not having any volume during commercials. The commercials for that same channel play fine on my other two high def non-dvr receivers. I did a reset and now get volume on SOME commercials. I then tried to see if it was a specific audio type that wasn't playing. All commercials during the last break were in Dolby digital, but still only every other commercial had any volume. I don't think it is an AVR issue since it doesn't seem to be related to a specific audio type and resetting the sat receiver did at least change the behavior.

Any ideas of things to try before I give up and make the dreaded tech support call?

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    And you're complaining?

I could only dream of the day when commercials would auto-mute.

3. robinandtami

robinandtami Cool Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Haha... Well it's in my wife's entertainment room/kitchen and I think she is annoyed by the sudden silence and just the fact that it isn't working right.

4. brian188

brian188 Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    Now that is a feature I actually wouldn't mind paying for.

5. robinandtami

robinandtami Cool Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Update.... Shortly after the reset... It went back to no sound on ALL commercials fir that one local channel.

6. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    What channel is it (call letters and city)? I'll see if there's any known issues with it.

If you call, and it truly is just the one channel, chances are they'll just put in a report about the issue.

7. robinandtami

robinandtami Cool Member

Oct 23, 2010
    It's WKRG Mobile AL. However... commercials for that channel play just fine on my other two HD receivers (222k's I think.).

Thanks for checking.

8. MattG@DISH Network

Jan 6, 2011
    Nothing on known issue list. Definitely a bit strange that only the 1 TV does it.

Has anything been changed in the Audio setup/dolby digital settings on the receivers?

9. robinandtami

robinandtami Cool Member

Oct 23, 2010

Nothing has been changed in the receivers. If it were a receiver issue I'd think it would occur on more than one channel. It is also odd that the behavior changed for a short time after I reset the 722k, then reverted back to no sound on all commercials for that one channel.

10. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    I have no issues with my 722k and WKRG.. Problem has to be in a setting on your TV or Audio equipment.. As a Dish Retailer in this area I have not seen or heard any issues from this channel from any of my customers.

11. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    RobinAndTami:

If you ever figure out what is causing your problem, please post it. A lot of us would like to enable that "feature".

12. oldanbo

oldanbo Cool Member

May 20, 2004
    The only time i enjoyed the sound on commercials was for the chrysler 300 with Deano singing sway, and the honda accord commercial with the tune from simon & garfunkel, the only livin boy in new york.

Otherwise, I would consider it a gift. :D

13. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    I'll swap you my 722K for yours. No sound on commericials. Priceless!!!:lol::lol::lol:

14. robinandtami

robinandtami Cool Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Well if you know of a receiver setting that can cause audio to fail on ONE channel only... by all means enlighten me. It's all commercials,whether they are broadcast in DD or stereo. I've run at least 5.1 audio in three rooms for the past decade and owned at least ten AVR's during that time and do not know of an AVR setting that could be causing this. I don't run audio through any of my tv's so that's a non starter as well.

15. MattG@DISH Network

Jan 6, 2011
    Still nothing on our channel issue list. Also, I'm out of ideas on what may be causing the problem. I'm starting to think it may be the receiver, but at the same time, I have doubts because it's only the one channel that has the problem.

Would you be willing to bypass the AVR just so we can eliminate that as the culprit?

If that doesn't make a difference, can you send me a phone/account number (in a PM), and I'll report this and see if I can find an answer. Thanks.

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^ Better yet, see if you can find a way to duplicate it across all channels.

That would be a GREAT marketing tool for Dish. :)

17. robinandtami

robinandtami Cool Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I will try to do that one evening this week. Thanks for your help!

18. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    A question nobody else has asked yet: What audio outputs are you using? Is it possible that that one local channel is feeding silence during commercials to their Dolby Digital feed yet has audio on the "analog" feed?

19. robinandtami

robinandtami Cool Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I am using hdmi from the 722k to my avr. The same set up is duplicated on two other systems in my house. Hdmi from the sat box to an avr, except the other two sat boxes are not dvrs's; 222's I think they are. Both of the other systems are getting audio for this channels commercials.

Thanks for trying to help think this through, but I don't think that's it.

20. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Does your AVR accept both DD and PCM and automatically switch between the two digital audio formats?