no sound on SD channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lacubs, Dec 31, 2020.

1. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i got a HR34, and yesterday i turn to a SD channel and it had no sound , then i went another and it had no sound either , i had my brother change the HDMI cord and the same thing , anyone know of this problem?
    thanks

2. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Well first of all, my condolences to you for suffering with a HR34 as that is one of the worst receivers mfr’d and issued by DirecTV. Get a replacement Genie for that and you will be amazed!

This may be a coincedence but last night when my wife went to bed, she came down 15 minutes later complaining of no sound but picture on our HR24 connected to our Vizio SV47XVT on all channels including HD. Changing channels, playing programs off playlist didn’t help. This has NEVER happened before with any receiver since I subbed starting in 1998.

I changed to the OTA input and sound was fine on all channels. I then went back to DirecTV input on TV, unplugged, plugged in both ends of HDMI cable and no change- no sound.

I ended up rebooting the receiver and sound came back on everything- all inputs and channels- no problems and still works fine tonight. I hope this was an anomaly and not a persistent bug that re-occurs. I figured it was a 10 year old receiver starting to have a HDMI port in the beginning stages of failure, but I’m not really sure. :worried:

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. Jan 1, 2021 #3 of 10
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I challenge that assertion offer the THR22 as one example of several.

4. Jan 1, 2021 #4 of 10
    lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    thanks , i will try reboot later

5. Jan 1, 2021 #5 of 10
    codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Go ahead, I had it for 4 years starting with the Beta in 2010 and my mom has had it for the last 6. It’s got a 2TB drive in it and is still way faster than a HR34, and regular HR22 which I also still have one of. She loves it as it has the TiVo interface which she has been on since the original DirecTiVo’s in the early 2000’s.

Rich likes this.
  6. Jan 2, 2021 #6 of 10
    lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    the reboot fix the problem , thanks guys

studechip and codespy like this.
  7. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    got a small problem my power went out last Thursday and went mine system rebooted and the Icons for each shows never came back , so i did a manual reboot last night and no lcons show up yet, i know a few years ago back i ran into this problem and my icons disappear for like few months , do you know if anyone heard of this ?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    for start, you must wait for a couple days

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Wait 24 hours. After that if the icons haven't returned perform a CLEARMYBOX. That will clear the guide data database.

10. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    thanks i will try CLEARMYBOX in a few days