1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"No tolls" route planner?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Sep 24, 2018.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Is there one? I'd like to go from Washington DC to Kittery Maine, but I think I paid like $40 to $50 in tolls each way the last time. I don't remember for sure, because there are now more tolls that are collected in one direction only. If I kill under two hours doing it, I have a high mileage car and enough free time on my hands that I might give it a shot.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Waze reportedly can be set to Avoid Toll Roads.

And it is a free app.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I went with Google Maps. I had never explored its menu before.

It got me a toll free route that adds about 30 miles and about an hour to an hour and ten minutes to my roughly 500 mile, all day journey. For those easterners who know the Washington - Boston corridor, when I get to Baltimore, I will now loop it to the "left" and take I-83 north instead of I-95, then keep my eyes peeled for half a dozen road changes that will, of course, be well marked (famous last words) and most critically, I bypass the NYC area tolls by taking the Cross County Parkway and Huchinson River Parkway, which puts me onto Connecticut Route 15 when I otherwise would be taking I-95 and I-91.

I see that I can also skip the relatively inexpensive stretch of the Mass Pike, AKA I-90, by taking a State Route 20, and the last toll that I can avoid, by bypassing the Hampton Toll on I-95, I will probably choose to pay, because that toll is two bucks, but the bypass on Route 1 can be a pain in the butt.

Thanks for the tip, trh!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    My daughter has me using Waze for the last several years (now owned by Google). If you don't mind using data, you run Waze while driving and it keeps you up-to-date on road conditions, weather (fog, hail, flood and ice), red light cameras, traffic, accidents, Hazards on the road (object, construction, pothole, and roadkill) stopped vehicles and police locations. It is updated by users (passengers hopefully). And like all navigation apps, if you take a detour, it automatically recalculates a new router. Quite handy.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The GPS I use in my car has that feature (avoid toll roads). I tried to use it to go from Northern Indiana to Toronto a few years back and it considered all of the toll bridges to Canada as toll roads. It tried to change a 8 hour trip into 20 hours to find a toll free border crossing in northern NY. The Google Maps version online allows "partial toll roads" for the bridge to Canada.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    SOmetimes it's cheaper to pay the toll than to take a route to avoid it.... :) and sometimes it's not.

Was your GPS a Garmin ? both my Nuvi 2597 and my new DriveSmart51 have that as a routing feature..

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Tom Tom.

9. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    It's fairly easy to avoid toll roads in California. I can go from LA to either SF or San Diego without paying any tolls and without a significant drive time delay. I can't avoid the higher gas prices, though.