No Upgrade from HR34 if I don't have 4k?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by andjuan, Jul 21, 2017.

1. andjuan

andjuan New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    I made my annual call to DirecTV last night to see if I could get a deal on Sunday Ticket, but I also wanted to get my equipment upgraded. My current setup consists of a HR34, a HR24, and H21. I also have the protection plan. During the call I also mentioned that my HR24 currently has a hard drive error and asked what I could do in terms of replacement and upgrades. The rep said they could replace my H21 and HR24 with wireless units (assuming Genie minis, but he didn't flat out say that), but he could do nothing for the HR34. I mentioned that I wasn't a fan of the HR34 (slow, missing some of the newer features of the HR44/54, etc.). I asked if I could get that upgraded to an HR44 or HR54 as well. He said that he could not give me an HR44 since it was "not an upgrade". And that he couldn't send me a HR54 since that was a 4k box and would not work with my 1080p set. He told me that Genie 2 is releasing in the second week of August and to call back and ask for that. Based on what I've read none of this information sounds right to me. Did I just get a rep who either didn't know what he was talking about or unwilling to help? Could it have been because I said cancel to get to retentions to talk about my Sunday Ticket?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Your rep either wasn't willing to help, or they are taking a harder line on replacing your HR24 with another unit.

Call back and try another rep to get your HR24 replaced. Don't let them talk you into a mini; you lose 2 tuners for recordings.

Also, the HR54 will work w/o 4K. Some have gotten it w/o 4K, but I'm not sure if their system will allow that selection w/o 4K. Doesn't mean an installer won't swap out the 34 with a 54; depends on what they have on their truck.

Last year they were replacing the 34 with a 44 if you called. But now there is a 'fix' that solves the problems of the 34, so they are not doing it. Maybe if your 34 'died', you could get a 44 (or 54).

Call another CSR.

3. andjuan

andjuan New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Are the minis that bad? Is the only thing I'm losing the 2 tuners? Is there a cost savings from HR24 to Mini?

Also, he seemed fine with replacing the HR24. But not the HR34, which is what was strangest to me.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, you only lose the tuners. Right now, with the 34, 21 and 24, you have 9 tuners. With only the 34 and two minis, you'd have 5. Depends on how much watching/recording you do.

The monthly price will still be the same going from the 21 or 24 to a mini.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Two other notes: Don't go wireless unless you must. Wired is more reliable and since you already have the wires in place, keep those.

The reason you can't 'upgrade' your 34 is their computer system considers the 34 to be the same as the 44. And their system only allows the 54 for 4K installs. Having said that, if your 34 'died' and you were to get a replacement, you'd get a 44. And if it was a tech doing the install at your house, you could get a 54. Depends on what is on their truck. There are a number of people here with 54s and no 4K.

6. andjuan

andjuan New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    So you suggest I just get the HR24 replaced with another and wait for my HR34 to die? It is annoying that they consider it the same since they literally just emailed me about using some of the new iPad app features that are only available on the HR44 and above.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    well, there's died, and then there's 'died'. They wouldn't even bother tying to turn it on, they'll just check the access card and move on.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What he's suggesting is you tell the CSR your 34 won't come on. Ethically, morally wrong, but I think the CSRs tell people untruths constantly and D* deserves what they get from subs. Call Retention and talk to them, I've always had good luck with them.

Rich

trh likes this.
  9. andjuan

andjuan New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Yes. I understood the implication.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That and when they have you go through troubleshooting steps that you know won't do any good. "Plug it in in another room" etc.

Rich likes this.
  11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yup. Just call and say your HR34 is dead as a door nail Then poof. A HR44 or 54 will arrive in the mail

12. rccoleman

rccoleman AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    And they won't even want the HR34 back. At least, that was my experience when they replaced my HR34 with an HR44 because I had a separate GenieGo.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep ....

Years ago about the only way to get rid of the HR34 even if it "died" was to do something (in fact anything for that matter, even if it was unrelated to the HR34 specifically) to generate a service call. And when they arrive you complain bitterly about the performance of the -34) Then hope the tech. had an HR44 or -54 on his truck to swap it out with.

Otherwise DIRECTV would simply send out another (usually reconditioned) HR34 as a drop-ship.

Today however, thankfully DIRECTV is no longer drop-shipping HR34. So if it "dies" just get DIRECTV to send out a replacement which will be an HR44 or -54. Whatever is in the warehouse ...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk