No Voom Gloom & Doom Here - good install and high user satisfaction

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by Nick, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Color me a happy camper! :grin:

I've posted some of this elsewhere, but I wanted to put up a thread with some good news instead of some of the gloom and doom Voom posts. If you are still thinking about Voom, consider this. The Zero up front deal is slated to end July 5. Whether it will be extended again remains to be seen. The install is @ no charge, and the receiver is $9.50/m, which will be billed along with the monthly subscription fee. My first bill was $39.90 +$9.50 +$2.40 sales tax for a total monthly of $51.80, which is on CC autopay.

I had a good installer, "Bill", an independent contractor working for Cable Innovations out of Savannah. After the initial install on 6/1, he came back 6/14 to reconfigure my 'dish tree' so all three dishes (110/119+61.5 for E* and 61.5 for V*) could reside on my single 6' pole, He put in a new 100'+ outside run for Voom plus, at my request, two additional 100'+ runs of RG6 for my two Dish receivers. When he finished, he cleaned up and left everything neat and well secured. He invited me to call him directly if I had any problems.

As far as performance goes, Voom's channels, both HD and SD are coming in very well now. I judge Voom's SD to be slightly better than Dish on both a 7200 Dishplayer and the 811 HD receiver. Initially, it took a little less than a week to get all the s/w upgrades (receiver off at night), and for the initial pixelization problem to go away. SS is in the high 80s and all channels are 5/5 with no more pixing. The Motorola IRD seems to be stable. After two weeks, I can honestly say I'm happy with Voom, especially after they introduced three new HD channels since my install. Adding Voom's 25 HD channels to Dish's meager five (plus SHO-HD and HBO-HD finally gives me a decent selection from which to choose.

In summary, I'm pleased with Voom overall and I'm getting just what I expected. It can only get better from here on out, and I am confident it will. If you're on the fence, go ahead and jump in. Do your research if you haven't already and you'll have a pretty good idea what the programming is going to be like and if it will suit your needs.

2. zubinh

zubinh Mentor

Jun 10, 2004
    OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AM I Dreaming??? Did you just say your install went fine and youre happy with Voom??

WOW. I didnt think I would ever see the day.

Gotta Hand it to you though. It took alot of guts to sign on with Voom after reading all those "gloom and doom" posts.

I'm not that brave. Switching from Dish to Direct in 3 weeks.

3. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Riiiiiight!

Actually, although I have plenty, no guts were required. When one considers that for every complainer there are 99 satisfied customers who never bother to post, the odds of success and satisfaction were overwhelmingly in my favor. My experience thus far with Voom has proved that I was right. What were you thinking when you said "I'm not that brave?" What on earth is it about a $0 up-front, no commitment deal that's to be "brave" about, anyway? Voom is a win-win no risk freebie deal. You don't have to be brave to jump on that, but if it's HD you want, it would be stupid NOT to sign up for the Voom offer.

Since you posted your fears in the Voom forum, can we assume that it's Hi Def you want? If so, you are cunningly astute to go for DirectTV's extensive HD line-up to replace DishNetwork's extensive HD line-up. :rolleyes: I'll be watching over 30 HD channels while you are wearing out your thumb trying to find something to watch in HD on a handful of D* channels.

Obviously you like to play it safe. Remember, even the lowly turtle never gets anywhere until he sticks his neck out. :grin:

Cya! :)

4. zubinh

zubinh Mentor

Jun 10, 2004

5. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    Zubinh, It's not as bad what people say it is. Some people expect more than what is worth $39.95.

Most people have good installs, it is only the ones that have had bad ones who post messages. My install took place 4 days after ordering.

Rain fade isn't that bad. We had a storm yesterday and it went out for a few minutes. On a severly overcast day the signal is still in the 90s.

It's not all 50's and 60's movies over and over again. There are 70's, 80's and 90's movies too. Last night there was a 1994 and another one from 1997.

A software upgrade that is due out in a couple weeks will help with OTA problems.

So the service is missing channels like USA, Sci-Fi, and Lifetime. It isn't a big deal because you will find you don't watch SD channels any more. Other than MSNBC I haven't watched the SD channels

6. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "1. weeks of frustration trying to get my Dish back?" I have no idea what this has to do with Voom.
    "2. The wife will moan and groan about no Lifetime" I think this is the true reason you haven't already subscribed to Voom.
    "3. No DVR" For this you deprive yourself of up to 35 and more HD channels? BTW, I still use my Dish DVR, and will consider the new Voom DVR when it becomes available
    "4. Spotty OTA Reception" That depends on your location, which you have omitted from your profile. I'm some 60 miles away from the nearest network broadcasters, so I get my locals from E*.
    "5. Watching the same old 50's and 60's movies over and over again." This is a misconception on your part. First, many of the films shown were released in the '70s, '80s and '90s. On a given day, they don't repeat, they alternate. That's 20 different films each day. On subsequent day Voom tosses in a few different movies. As Voom acquires more movie rights, the offerings will continue to improve-and, as you say, "all in glorious HD".
    "6. Cant watch Voom if theres a cloud in the sky." This is patently false. I've experienced heavy clouds with no LoS, and even during rain, the LoS is comparable to E*, and like both D* and E*, is typically short-lived.

You obviously have chosen to ignore the positive posts and comments, such mine, and have focused on the negative complainers. Once again, most who are happy with Voom don't bother to post. You believe what you choose to believe. Frankly, I hope Scott is right, but he is well known for his - shall I say - overly-enthusiastic predictions. I suggest you not hold your breath for 10 or 15 HD channels on D* within the next 12 months.

Even then, you will be missing the all the unique HD Voom programming, such as HD concerts and HD travel and much more that is only available from Voom.
    I understand that your better-half wants her Lifetime movies, and that's the real reason you can't get Voom, but what I don't understand why you feel compelled to toss out a lot of other bogus reasons simply to justify your decision?

The future of HD is really in the hands of those of us who want more HD programming. If, everytime there is a new HD alternative such as Voom made available to us, we complain that it's not 'this' or it's not 'that' and we fail to support it, then the message to the industry is that there aren't enough people who really want HD to justify the trouble and expense. Keep in mind that HD is not mandated by the FCC, only digital in SD.

I recall a comment you made in your first post, when you said "I'm not brave enough..." Apparently not. :shrug:

7. zubinh

zubinh Mentor

Jun 10, 2004

Your response was very well written Nick. And I'm going to be about as honest as I can here.

1. The wife not having Lifetime is not a big deal because I strongly believe Voom will enhance their SD line up soon.

2. I could care less about Voom's proprietary channels. IMHO theres no substance to any of em. I will admit though that in my book Vooms biggest strength is its ability to carry starz HD, TMC HD and Encore HD - which D* and E* do not carry.

3. Lastly, the negative posts about voom concerning nightmare installs, hour long waits on customer svc, OTA issues and PQ issues are too many for me too ignore. The risk of this happening to me and going thru the Headache of for only 3 channels (Ok 4 with Playboyhd) is not worth it. I do not want to switch again.

For me, I'll take the safer more "reliable" route with an HD Tivo and hope that D* adds some HD soon.

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I hope so too, for that may light a fire under Charlie's ass.

...and on the other points, my friend, we agree to disagree. I shall enjoy my 30+ channels of HD programming and sincerely hope that you catch up with me sooner than later.