1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Whole home on HR44-500 with new GUI

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bajanjack, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Once I got the new GUI, I can’t get recordings from other DVR’s like I did before. All DVR’s show “”sharing on”and “deletion on,” and all DVR’s show up as networked. Whole Home shows as authorized. In the “playlist share settings” I selected “all locations.” I’ve done soft resets of all dvr’s. I did a system check and all showed as ok. The only thing that’s changed is the GUI. Prior to the new GUI, the yellow button allowed me to show either my local playlist or all the playlists. I don’t see any option on this either. I spent an hour on the phone with directv and they couldn’t figure it out. They said they’ve not received other calls. I’ve got a directv tech coming tomorrow. I’m an experienced user and just don’t get it. Help!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Shut the whole system down (power removed). Then boot things up one at a time, allowing each to come fully up to live tv before starting the next. That should do the job. A bit more drastic than your individual soft resets. I'm not sure if there is a way to filter all/local playlist any longer - they are moving in the direction of your only having one playlist, the local Genie, with nothing else but clients. Whole Home is under settings, then you have the options of share playlist, name location, manage clients, external devices, video bridge, and TV remote sync. So whole home is still fully supported.

3. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Thank you- I will try what you suggested.

4. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Hey Carl- I tried your suggestion and it did not work. I appreciate your help. I do now see where I have the option to view my local playlist or all programs through the “playlist share settings.” The directv tech is coming today. I hope he can get my whole home working.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What Carl wrote should have worked if the MRV is set up correctly. But you still should have seen at least one or two of your HRs. Do the HR24s see each other, and/or the 34?

Rich

6. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Rich- I just had a DIRECTV tech here who could not fix it either. Sorry- my equipment was an old listing- I updated it I have 3 HR24s in addition to the HR44. The HR24s all see each other in whole home. The 3 HR24s show up as “networked” on my HR44 whole Home menu, but they don’t share their playlists with the HR44.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do you know if you have a SWM 16 switch ? If yes, are the HR24s on one side and the genie on the other side ?

8. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Jimmie- yes- to all. As I had mentioned Whole Home worked fine on the HR44 before the GUI change.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well, I have no more ideas. I've never seen anything like this. Nothing happened but the arrival of the new GUI and immediately after that arrival the 44 stopped working with MRV? Is that correct? No cabling changes, no hardware changes...just the GUI? Geez. One more question: Can you watch content from a 24 on another 24, does your MRV work absolutely correctly except for the 44?

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I didn't read this post before I posted #9, it answers my questions. Now I'm thinking you're gonna end up with another Genii that will replace your 44. If there were no cabling changes or hardware changes what else can they do except get the 44 replaced? Could the update that sent the new GUI to you have corrupted the 44? Yes. Updates have historically adversely affected HRs in many ways. This seems like a new problem but what else could it be? Of course it could be a bad SWM16, but why would that fail? What would cause that?

Puzzling...

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A thought: Can you move the 44 to a location now used by a 24 and then put the 24 in the place the 44 occupied? Just to see what happens with MRV? I know you won't want the 44 replaced. If the 24 has the same problem the 44 now has...well, we'd have a better idea what's going on.

Rich

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think he would have to disconnect 2 of the 24s because they are all on one side of the SWM16. The Genie and 1 HR24 would be 7 tuners.

13. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Jimmie and Rich- I really appreciate you trying to help. The Directv tech who was here on Saturday was very frustrated and asked that I give him until Monday to try and fix this. I’m holding off on my feedback to Directv to give him a chance, as he asked. All 3 HR24s work fine with the whole home. What is strange, as I mentioned, is that all the HR24s show up on the HR44 menu as networked for Whole Home. I made sure to select “all locations”as well on the HR44.

jimmie57 likes this.
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If it worked correctly before he got the GUI it should work now.

Rich

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Hold the phone, which software version are you on? This is a bug (rare one but it is there in the new GUI) and you can’t fix it by doing anything but two things... waiting for a new firmware version that appears to have finally fixed it (it took a long time but it’s coming) or doing a full reset of your machine (wipe out everything including playlist series manager everything) so I’d say wait it out, I’d guess you’ll get the update pretty soon..

I had this issue myself.. it’s very very rare... don’t bother wasting your time with swapping the unit... or another truck roll...

Rich likes this.
  16. AndyPopely

AndyPopely New Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I have a HR24 and a HR44 connected via the the Whole Home facility. Before the new HR44 firmware was installed I was able to see the playlist recordings that were on the other DVR in both directions. When the new firware was installed on the HR44 I could see the HR44's recordings on the HR24 but I was not able to see the HR24's recordings on the HR44.

To fix it Directv installed the old firmware on the HR44. I then used the Playlist Options Menu on the HR44 to change the playlist to show ALL recordings instead of LOCAL recordings. The next night the new firmware was reinstalled on the HR44 and now on the HR44 I can see the recordings on both the HR24 and the HR44.

Rich likes this.
  17. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    You win the prize! The Directv tech just left for the second time. After trying everything under the sun, he spoke with a high level tech-they rolled back the software version to the old GUI and whole home worked! As you said it’s clearly the software I have-1037 that is the culprit. I ended up spending hours between telephone calls and having to carve out two 4 hour time windows for the tech visit. This all could have been avoided by the advice inkahauts gave. Thx to all of you who tried to help- I appreciate it.

18. Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007

Actually it could have all been avoided if Directv was not using clients as beta testers...

19. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    You’re absolutely right- but what’s even worse is that they had no knowledge of the loss of whole home with software version 1037. That includes not only the CSR’s, but the techs sent out as well.

20. CMoore515

CMoore515 New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Can confirm that SW version 1040 acts like this as well... Annoying.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018