1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomad Transcode Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by The Merg, Jun 5, 2012.

1. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Is there a way to tell the Nomad to transcode a show or a series, but not have it download to a device?

Here's the situation that I am in... I want the Nomad to have a series routinely transcoded to have the most recent episodes, but I don't want them taking up space on my device unless I want it to. Basically, the night before I head out of town, I want to download my transcoded shows to my iPads.

To me, it appears that if I select a show via my iPad it will automatically transcode it and download it. The same if I pick a show via my PC; it will automatically download it ot my PC, which is not what I want.

- Merg

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If you don't launch the iPad app, you'll have what you want. But there may be drawbacks to that "solution"! :nono2:

If it were me, I'd set the transcode via my laptop, then delete in Finder or Explorer the files (if room on same was a concern, which it isn't for me). Then they'll be ready to d/l to the 'Pad when you want.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    In my limited experience so far, it seems that when I select the auto download feature on the iPad, it will start to transcode. I can exit out of the app and the process will continue on the nomad but won't D/L to the iPad.

The next time I open the nomad app, I'm asked if I want to D/L those episodes I selected. I simply select the 'No' button or close the dialog box and no download occurs. Later, I can download when I want to.

This is the only way I've discovered so far.

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As the others have said, no there isn't a way to do that right now. It is something I have been asking for since the Nomad was released. I want them to seperate the transcode and transfer functions so you can set up some things to just transcode automatically without transferring to anything, and you can also set it up to transfer automatically if you want.

I also would like them to add a function to automatically transcode everything that is recorded, but I'm not sure if they'll ever do that. I have a 250GB USB drive hooked up to my Nomad, so I want it to automatically transcode everything so all I have to do when I'm getting ready to go on a trip is tell grab whatever device I'm taking with me and transfer over whatever I want to take with me, no waiting on stuff to trancode. For now I accomplish this by having my desktop PC run the Nomad app 24/7 and I have all my recordings set up to automatically transcode and transfer to it. This takes up a decent amount of space on my hard drive, and puts unnecessary wear and tear on the hard drive, but it's the only way to accomplish what I want right now.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Okay. So when you say Exit the app, do you mean you just switch to another app or go back to the Home screen OR do you close the app out via the App Switcher?

- Merg

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That may be what I need to do. It will probably just be the easiest way to do it.

- Merg

7. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Switching to another app or exiting to the home screen both have the same behavior. Either way, the app won't download the shows to the iPad. It acts like the DIRECTV app for iPad in that there's no background process and the app logs in each time you open or switch back to it.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Got it. Hadn't used it that much that I really noticed it worked the same way as the iPad app.

- Merg