Nomad USB Flash Drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by litzdog911, Oct 10, 2011.

1. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    My Nomad's been up and running since last Friday and working fine. But I'm quickly filling its internal storage. So I bought a SanDisk Cruzer 32GB USB Flash Drive today and connected it to my Nomad, after powering it down of course. Upon powering up the Nomad the Flash Drive's light started blinking. Now, an hour later, the USB Flash Drive's light is still blinking and the Nomad PC Client has not yet reflected any additional storage capacity.

How long should it take for the USB Flash Drive to be formatted and appear as added capacity in the Nomad software?

Did I do this correctly? Is there some setup or reset step I missed?

Thanks!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Press the reset button for 30 seconds. You should not lose programming. Also, if the flash drive has any software on it, or a second partition, anything that is nonstandard, it will not work

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I have a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer flash drive. It has special software (SecureAccess) on it that automatically boots when you plug it in and requires a password. I wonder if that is stopping your drive from working in your Nomad?

4. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I pulled it out of the SanDisk package and connected directly to the Nomad. Do these Flash Drives have other software on them out-of-the-box?

I'll try the 30-sec reset.

Should any messages pop up on the Nomad software client on my PC about "formatting" the USB drive?

5. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Maybe. So I should delete all of its files with my PC before connecting to the Nomad?

6. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Ah wait ....
    After my PC client software was running for several minutes a message popped that said an external storage device had been detected and asking if I wanted to format it, cautioning that all data on it would be erased. Of course I said "yes". Keeping fingers crossed.

7. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    OK. That was fast. Now shows 48GB available. Excellent!

I guess I just wasn't being patient enough and should have left the client software running a bit longer while it figured out that a USB drive had been connected.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If that doesn't work, here are 3 ways to properly remove the software from the Drive: removing-u3-launchpad

9. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Thanks trh! It works now. I just wasn't being patient enough for the client software to recognize the drive and ask me to format it.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Glad it worked out. My Nomad is due tomorrow. So I'm paying attention to all these posts.

11. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    Good info on your experience. I guess between the initial / first time boot up of the Nomad where it updates the firmware and the insertion of a USB flash drive the mantra should be "be patience with Nomad".

;)

12. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Thanks for the information everyone; patiently awaiting the arrival of the Nomad :)