Non-networked receiver sets recordings from ipad

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Jish, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Jish

Jish AllStar

Jul 27, 2007
    I have 4 DVR receivers (1 HR20-700 & 3 HR24-500). 3 are home networked, the HR20 & 2 HR24's. I rarely set recordings from my iPad (so this may have been possible long ago but just noticed it). When I clicked on the show I wanted to record in the guide on the iPad, I was given the choice of scheduling it to any of the 4 DVRs including the one not networked, so I picked it just to see what would happen. To my surprise that DVR has the program listed in the To Do List and also in the guide there is the orange record symbol. I confirmed on the info screen in settings that it is not connected to the Internet, how is it doing this?

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why do you think one of the HR24s is not networked? All HR24s have DECA built in.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Unless the iPad app is simply setting up the remote recording via the satellite which capabilty has been around for many years.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't think it uses the Internet, it comes down via satellite. Which from one way of looking at it is kind of cool. From your phone or tablet you're directly causing a command to come down to your DVR from a satellite 22,000 miles up in space.

5. Jish

Jish AllStar

Jul 27, 2007
    Because it isn't. There is no Ethernet cable going into it like all the others (DVR is in the attic and never ran the Ethernet up there). I even ran the network setup from settings to see if I was missing something, it couldn't find Internet and therefore wouldn't proceed.

6. Jish

Jish AllStar

Jul 27, 2007
    I thought that too, and if so, it is cool!

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    First... If you are on your home network and the iPad can see the DVR it'll schedule it over the network I believe. However if you are out of home or the DVR is not connected the way it works is the iPad is connected to DIRECTV servers and they send a signal down to the DVR via sat so that it is set.

Second do you have two coax lines for sat running to all your DVRs or do you have swim? Because if you have swim you can use a deca on your HR20 and a bbdeca at some Other point in your system and then all DVRs will have internet even the one in the attic.

8. Jish

Jish AllStar

Jul 27, 2007
    Two coax going to 2 of them and 1 coax going to the other 2, the attic only has 1 - no swim on any, b band converters on all of them.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct, only with the iPad app, if the app is on the same network as the DVR the command is via LAN. If the app is out of home, the command is send via sat. iPhone app uses sat all the time. Not sure about Android.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Ouch. Only one tuner on two of your DVRs? I'd update to swim if for no other reason than to get all tuners on all DVRs going. You'd also be able to get internet on all and Whole Home Service on all easily too.

Heck I'd see if they wouldn't upgrade your HR20 to a genie and get it all changed for free.

2 people like this.
  11. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    What inkahauts said.

Dealing with DirecTV "customer service" is alway a crapshoot (some don't know, some don't care), but a customer in good standing ought to be able to get what inkahauts suggested at no cost other than a new 2 year commitment.

Changing from the HR20 to a HR44/54 (DO NOT ACCEPT a HR34!!!) and adding SWM (either a SWM16 switch or a SWM13 LNB) would result in a much better system than what you have now.

1 person likes this.