1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NON-Viiv Media Server Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    So if you don't have Viiv support on your PC, I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of using Windows Media Player vs. Twonky vs ??? TIA. /s

2. SPACECASE

SPACECASE Legend

Mar 11, 2007
    I use WMP11 and have no problems at all. I originally thought I would not use the media player feature much but I have found that it is so much easier to hit a few buttons on the remote and crank up the sound system than it was to find CDs and put them in. I now fire it up when I am working in other parts of the house, before it just wasn't worth the hassel.

3. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I was using WMP and TVersity prior to my Viiv PC. Not really much of a difference from what I remember.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I use WMP11 and have not had a problem at all. I use it all the time and it works great. I have it up and running on all 3 of my HR20's.

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Thanks, guys. Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like WMP is the way to go, since I've already got it installed. /s

6. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    I purchased TwonkyMedia because I couldn't get WMP11 to see the HR20, but no problems with Twonky. Then after my HR20 was updated to a new version, WMP is able to see the HR20 now. Guess I won't need to renew my Twonky subscription. :)

7. PlanetBill

PlanetBill Icon

May 8, 2006
    I just enabled media sharing via WMP11 on my new non viiv pc today. Painless. Worked like it did on the old pc. Ripped a couple Cd's, told it where my picture are. Done.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    A Twonky license doesn't expire and is good for any future 4.x versions. When they go to version 5, however....

9. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Since the 0x16? releases, WinXP and WMP-11 works beautifully for playing music/pictures. Prior to those releases, I was having horrible drop out/disconnect issues and had basically given up using the Media Server functions of the HR-20.

Now, I use those functions nearly every day. I use my Laptop with wireless/WAP with the HR20 plugged into a network switch...static IP...works really well. Hope it keeps working!

10. code4code5

code4code5 Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    I found that with WMP, I had too much music to share and it wouldn't play anything. TVersity works great.

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    When you say too much music, does TVersity let you organize large collections better than WMP? /s

12. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    There has been limitation talk on when the music library is very large, the media server will not seem to work and music will not play. There has not been a hard core number put to the limitation, but do be aware that a limit is in place. It is possible the photo library could have the same issue and no one has reported a problem yet.

I use nero since I already had it. I could not get WMP to work and see the HR20. I have used Twonky and Tversity and found Twonky to work better in my environment.

13. jmschnur

jmschnur Icon

Aug 30, 2006
    TVersity works well

14. Mojo_Ryzen

Mojo_Ryzen Mentor

Jun 7, 2007
    I have a *very* large digital photo library - literally a hundred folders with thousands of photos. They're organized, on a large partition (Drive G) on my PC, by the dates I took the photos, e.g. 2007_06_13. When I first hooked up the Linksys WGA54G, everything seemed to go smoothly. HR20 networking and internet both test ok. WMP11 found an unknown device, which I allowed sharing to. The HR20 included the "Music & Photos" menu. I was able to see my computer "shared as" folder. I tried to access my photos and nothing happened. Later, the "Music & Photos" menu appeared intermittently, then disappeared completely. I haven't had time to play with it, but I think the HR20/WMP11 "media overload" might be my problem. I'll try TVersity, possibly tonight, and report back. Thanks for the post, Spanky_Partain!

p.s. I already have Nero 7 Suite installed on my PC. I didn't think of using it to share to HR20. Know any tips/instructions for this?

15. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    As a matter of fact I do, follow this link to a Word Document on how to set up nero 7 media sharing....

16. mganga

mganga Godfather

Dec 4, 2006
    just the name "twonky" should be enough to make you steer clear...

17. Mojo_Ryzen

Mojo_Ryzen Mentor

Jun 7, 2007
    Thanks again, Mark. When I got up to step 10, "Select Start Server and select Devices. The HR20 will show up," only a windows/nero device showed up, not an "HR20." I chose it, then went donstairs to check the HR20 and didn't have a "Music & Photos" menu option. I kinda gave up. Then, twent minutes later, my wife told me a message appeared on the TV screen stating the computer "had been logged off." I didn't get any message on the PC though. I'll try TVersity tonight, but it sounds like I have an underlying problem unrelated to the Windows software applications.

I do not use Windows default "My Pictures" or "My Music" folders. I wonder if that's the root cause of my problem. I'll also try an experiment placing and sharing some sample media files there.

18. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    Interesting, I thought I read that the TwonkyMedia license was only good for a year. If not, then that will be a plus being able to keep that around.

19. Mojo_Ryzen

Mojo_Ryzen Mentor

Jun 7, 2007
    I kinda tainted my experiment. I went right to TVision instead of trying small folders first. I installed and ran TVision, then shared my large-folder-size mp3 and photo media. My computer showed up on the HR20 menu and I Selected it.

The delay was long, over 10 minutes, then I got a message on the TV screen stating my computer logged off. My PC's screen saver was disabled. Should I expect a long delay after selecting my computer?

I next made two small folders on my PCs "G" drive and placed three photo files in one and three mp3s in another. I repeated the menu selection on the HR20. Again there was a long delay, then the PC logged off again. Has anyone seen a similar problem? A solution would be nice. I'd rather not waste any more time on this. TIA.

20. Mojo_Ryzen

Mojo_Ryzen Mentor

Jun 7, 2007
    I had some success using a different PC. I used my laptop and shared a small group of media files. My wireless speed is limited by the WGA54G running WEP encryption. My picture files are 6 megapixels and can be over 2MB each in size. My mp3s are all high bit rate files. The mp3s played choppie, making them unlistenable. The pictures played a slideshow that was very slow. This feature seems like just another gimmick, unless wired ethernet or 802.11-N improves throughput. I'm done. I'm not going to step on the quality of my photo and music files to use it. Thanks again for the tips! This is a very cool site!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.