NOOB software version question...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by VelcroBP, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VelcroBP

VelcroBP New Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Hey all!
    I'm so glad that I found this forum! In just the past half hour or so that I've spent searching for an answer to my specific problem, I've learned a TON about features and capabilities of my receiver that I was completely unaware of!!

Anyway, I was wondering how to identify/upgrade the software/firmware on my receiver. I want to verify what version I have before bothering you all with my specific problem. Also, I may be able to better narrow my search and come to the solution if it has already been answered on here.

Thanks in advance for all the help this forum provides!

2. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    press menu on the remote...scroll down to parental,favs&setup
    select that then system setup then info & test...
    this is how you identify the software....as far as updates you have
    to wait for DirecTv to roll them out to the general public

3. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    on HR20's you should have 0x1FE
    not sure about h20 or h & hr21's

4. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    nevermind i see you are talking of r15/16's....sorry

5. GTS

GTS Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Press menu
    Select (continue to select) setup until you arrive at the "System Setup" screen. Varies by firmware version.
    Select "info & test". The information page will update and provide the manufacturer 100, 300, 500, original version and latest upgrade.

Latest version depends on which DVR you have. 100 300 500. Look at the sticky threads to determine latest. As these are staggered releases, you may not necessarily have the "latest" release.

If you've had the receiver connected to power for a day or more you likely have the "latest" release available for your machine.

Post your info if you desire more help.

6. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    Or, just hold the info button for ~ 3 seconds to get to that screen. ;)

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As far as updating, it is normally done automatically by DirecTV when they choose to do it. Often times an upgrade on the R15 series is staggered geographically, moving from west to east, and could take several days or even weeks.

You can force an update, but you normally do not need to, and should not, do that. To force an update, start by doing a reset (menu, setup, reset, restart receiver). The unit will shut down and start back up. As soon as you see the first blue welcome / hello screen, push the buttons 0 2 4 6 8 on your remote. Push them in sequence, fairly rapidly, and one time only. Do not push any other buttons. After a delay, you will see a "found new software" screen, and the R15 will download. It will download whether or not the software is new to you, it just takes whatever is in the data stream.

You might also want to take a look at the Cutting Edge forum on this web site. There are opportunities to get test versions of software, but there are also conditions associated. Make sure you understand the conditions and risks before deciding to participate.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.