1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Carolina May Ban Tesla Sales To Prevent “Unfair Competition

Discussion in 'The OT' started by yosoyellobo, May 24, 2013.

1. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Online purchases.

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    This is just the latest bit of insanity proposed by the NC Senate. Also of late: construction of toll lanes on Interstate 77 north of Charlotte to Huntersville (existing lanes remain free), legislation to force the city of Charlotte to turn over Charlotte Douglas airport to a yet to be named airport authority (although it is one of the top airports in the country), approval of construction of a toll road that allegedly will create jobs (discounted by numerous consultants), elimination of state income tax in favor of increased sales taxes (hurting poor and middle income taxpayers), cuts in state funding for schools and more. Lobbyists have lots of power over state government here, as do legislators from rural areas.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    This is an attempt to restrain free trade -- nothing new, but clearly against the spirit of common commercial law.

Wikipedia has this to say on the subject:

If such a bill intended to restrain free trade were to pass into law in NC,what's next, banning Amazon.com from selling toasters, wine or widgets online to North Carolinians? It would make as much sense then, to ban car dealers from selling cars online.

:rolleyes:

6. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I could see it now. Tesla being smuggle into North Carolina in exchange for cartons of cigarette.:)

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This almost sounds like the fight Henry Ford had with the Association of Licensed Automobile Manufacturers. Guess who won that one?

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    This bill is Nothing but protectionism for car dealers...

9. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    If people had GOOD experiences at car dealerships, this wouldn't be an issue.

My experiences have been from "bad" (things just being priced a lot higher for service), to "worse" (trying to bully me into over a thousand dollars of needless repairs of things that weren't broken) to "criminal" (refusing to service an 1-year-old, $25K+ under-warranty car because they couldn't figure out what was wrong - even writing a snail-mail letter asking if we could "just part friends")

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That happened to me at a Cadillac dealership. I had just bought a Pontiac G6 for my wife with a "new style" sun roof that rattled continuously. After about 10 attempts to fix the rattle, I was told by the service manager that they would no longer work on that problem. Car had less than 10K miles on it. Told him my lawyer would be in touch with him and he laughed at me. Asked me if I even knew a lawyer. While all this was going on, the salesman I buy my Caddies from was having a fit. He thought I'd never buy a car from them again.

Long story short, the service manager was contacted by my lawyer the next day and I ended up with a new car, one without that hideous sun roof. Soon after that, Cadillac pulled the dealership's Caddie franchise and now they sell KIAs.

Now, what would I do if I bought a Tesla and had a problem similar to what I went thru with the G6? I've never seen a Tesla dealership, who services them?

Rich

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You should bring it to our place - ex-NUMA plant, in Fremont, CA :).

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Tesla has service centers around the country. I believe that they are putting a valet service into place at no charge where they come to you with a loaner Model S Performance (top of the line sedan) or a roadster, and they take your car to the service center.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Long trip for a tow truck. :rolling:

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That sounds like they've thought everything thru.

Rich

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just sign for "VP Service" at AAA :)

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    When base price is $62k, after a $7k tax credit, and all-electric not being mainstream, they pretty much have to.

17. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    For the record, my car had an engine problem where I'd lose all "get up and go" and get 12MPG - barely any acceleration (a Chevette could beat me off the line when this happened) and it would be very jarring to keep slamming back and forth form 'normal' to this 'crippled' performance.

Turns out that the wires that were the data leads to the car's engine computer were too close to the exhaust manifold and had MELTED. The resulting confusion, from the point of the engine computer, had the engine going into a "safe mode" that was only designed to keep you running long enough to get to the dealership. IN my case, it was intermittent - except when I was coming back from a trip and had to drive from Virginia to New Hampshire in "safe mode". UGH!

The dealership in Manchester crawled in, out and around my car to figure out what was wrong. The one near my home in Nashua couldn't be bothered since the car computer couldn't tell them the problem via diagnostic code.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I usually take my car to an accredited auto mechanic who is a friend of mine. If the car is under warranty, he tells me what is wrong and I take it to the dealer. Try to find a state accredited mechanic in a dealership. I haven't been able to. What's really sad about my Pontiac is that the dealership was primarily a Cadillac dealer that also sold Pontiacs. Wouldn't you think a Caddie dealer would employ top notch mechanics?

Rich

19. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Remember that as a result of the recent recession and near collapse of the Detroit auto manufacturers, many reputable dealerships had their franchises revoked. This had nothing to do with the quality of their sales or service departments.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, if Tesla sales aren't banned, they may just get more money from registration. There also is a bill in NC to add a $50 surcharge for hybrid registration, and $100 for full electric.