1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Authorized To Record This Event???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ty12james, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ty12james

ty12james New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    The last 2 nights I have tried to record an NBA game on ch 668 FSNorthHD (my local FSN channel). Both nights a message has come up saying "Your receiver is not authorized to record this event". I watched the game both nights, just couldn't record. Called DirecTV last night and they said that for some games the network (FSN) has the right to block games from being recorded due to copyright laws. Last nights game being one of them. DirecTV said it has nothing to do with it as they just air the event. I have never had a problem with this before or any other sporting event. One of my friends said they had no problem recording the game last night on FSN, but they have Comcast cable. Anyone else had this problem?

2. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    That is unusual if it is true I hope its just D having a accident but if its true then that is a suprise.

3. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    I assume you were able to pause, rewind, etc?

4. ty12james

ty12james New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    never tried to pause or rewind

5. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Interesting. As DVR penetration passes the 70% threshold (it's about 40% today) I see the same with TV spots. You won't be able to FF through them.

6. OCMike

OCMike Cool Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I had the exact same thing happen to me last week during a Laker game (FSWestHD - my local sports channel). Talked to customer support for about 30 minutes and tried a number of different things (including rebooting the HR21-700) and nothing worked. I was able to pause, FF, RW, etc. but everytime I tried to record I would get the message you described. The channel was also "greyed out" in the guide (which has never happened before.)

The next day, I noticed the channel appeared normally in the guide (i.e. not "greyed out") and was able to record on it normally. I've since recorded Laker games without any issue.

I was hoping it was just a strange, isolated, blip...but now not so sure.

Thanks,
    Mike

7. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Weird I hope this isnt a pernament policy with the DVRs and sportes events.

8. ty12james

ty12james New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    My channel was also "greyed out" in the guide. It has never been like that before.

Earlier yesterday I was able to record on the channel, but it was just a show not a game.

9. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Its probably D asleep at the wheel again. Let us know if your able to record other T Wolves games ok.

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Phone line or ethernet connection plugged in?

11. afulkerson

afulkerson MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

Jan 14, 2007
    I had the same problem with my FSN in Detroit. I was able to get it to record by going to the Directv site and reauthorizing the DVR. It was still grayed out but I was able to record it.

The next day the channel was not grayed out in channels I receive.

12. drhart416

drhart416 Mentor

May 14, 2010
    It's happening with the Yes Network on my HR23-700.

13. murry27409

murry27409 Member

Oct 16, 2007
    YES, Ch 631, HR22-100, HR20-100
    I noticed this a couple of days ago. Greyed out in the morning, but when I came home, it was no longer greyed out, and I had done nothing to try to fix it. However, the next morning and today, it has been greyed out again. No issues for now as the next event I have scheduled to record is Yankees hot stove next week.

14. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    If it ever happens again, you can try setting up a manual recording for that channel and time. That's not convenient, but usually works.

15. murry27409

murry27409 Member

Oct 16, 2007
    UPDATE:

I was wrong about the next scheduled recording of yankees hot stove; it was last night (11/11). I tuned to & attempted to record the 10:30 airing. I was able to pause, rewind, etc, but was not allowed to record: "You are not authorized to receive this CH".
    The HR22-100 did record the 1AM showing, and I was able to playback the recording even though CH 631 was still greyed out. This morning, the CH was no longer greyed out.
    I have done nothing, waiting to see if this would clear up on its own.

Additionally, I noticed that my other 2 RSN's, MSG (Ch 634) and SNY (Ch 639) have been unaffected.

16. drhart416

drhart416 Mentor

May 14, 2010
    Ya mine straightened itself out overnight as well.

17. MikeGadget

MikeGadget Cool Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Interesting find here

I'm getting the same message on my dvr for bruins tonight.
    Can watch live but can't record on NESN 628
    I had stopped the dvr trying to record on center ice 771-1 because that doesn't usually work.

Not a subscriber to NHL center ice but the dvr picked up game on 771-1. Low and behold when I go back to 771-1 I can watch the game and record it from there !

18. DKD22

DKD22 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Had the same problem with the NBA channel (216) last week. It turns out that they were running a free promotion that allows non-subscribers to view but not record. That promotion is apparently going on for the first month of the season. Since I wasn't subscribed to the NBA channel, I couldn’t record.

This kind of surprised me, since I have NBA League Pass and assumed that included the NBA channel, particularly since they regularly move games from the League Pass channels to the NBA channel. So, to get all NBA games, you actually need both League Pass and the Choice XTRA package, which includes 216.

I can’t find any mention of this in the League Pass promotional materials or anywhere else, for that matter. There’s considerable discussion of blackout rules, but that’s not what’s going on here.

This doesn’t really affect me, since I was actually supposed to be getting Choice XTRA but my account was screwed up. Once that was fixed I was able to both view and record on 216.

However, I’m amazed that paying for NBA League Pass doesn’t actually get the NBA channel, and that they yank games off the NBA channels (which League Pass covers) and put them on non-covered station 216 with virtually no notice. Seems vaguely fraudulent to me, particularly since 216 features the NBA League Pass logo.

19. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    NBA TV is included with LP it says right here on D* website: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/nba

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It takes awhile for the Guide to Update itself with the correct information even though the DVR knows it is allowed to View or Record the Channel. Mine cleared up the next day and the Greyed Out Condition went away.