1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Possible to Own?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mobilelawyer, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Mentor

Aug 16, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    I bought a 20-700 and a new 5lnb dish from an ebay Directv dealer, but when I called to ask about activating the new unit, I was told by Directv the new dvr would have to be leased, and that I could not own it, but since I was an "Alist" customer, I could activate it without having to re-up for another two years. I would, however, have to talk to another customer rep to do that, and when I was connected, they wouldn't even let me do that!

The rationale, I am told, is that the 20-700's are sold at a subsidized price. Well, I paid 2X the Best Buy price to own the damn thing! I got the seller to take back the dish and the dvr. So be it. I just don't want to re-up for another two year committment with a company that has not met my expectations for the past two years, and sold me a non- subsidized 10-250 that has been a constant headache since the software updates started. Maybe I should have asked for my money back on the 10-250!

Is it or is it not possible to own a 20-700? I thought it was, based on what some say they have been able to negotiate. I think I could live with that concept if they would not make me re-up!

At any rate, I got so angry, I cancelled, effective 8-21.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    You can buy a HR20 from DIRECTV. I think it is $800. If you lease a unit from DIRECTV you will have to sign a 2 year contract. I am not sure if you have to sign a 2 year contract if you buy it from them. If you are having problems with your HR10-250 you should be able to have them replace it for $19.95 shipping. They will probably send you a refurbished unit and they will make you sign a 2 year contract but it will only cost you $19.95.

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    As Bmore stated, it has been my understanding that if you pay full price, at least directly from D*, then you own the box. I do not believe there is a way to get out of the 2 year commit either way however. Whether it's leased or owned, that 2 year commit is hard to shake loose.

4. rirwin1983

rirwin1983 Legend

Dec 11, 2005
    The full list price to buy outright is 749.99 All you'd need to do is produce a reciept showing u paid full price from a d* retailer, which is easy to create ;). Not that im advocating that, just giving u a option.

5. FlyBono24

FlyBono24 Godfather

Jan 2, 2007
    If you "purchased" the HR20 at Best Buy, is there a way that D* can reimburse you somehow?

6. TooManyToys

TooManyToys Cool Member

Aug 4, 2007
    What is the advantage of buying vs leasing?

7. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    No sales tax on $4.99 month. You can do want you want with the receiver.

8. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    Depends if you qualify based on account history.

9. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    None that I can think of.

I had 2 boxes in the house before I got the HR20. One was just a regular receiver, the other one was a DIRECTV/TiVo HDVR2. I bought the HR20 at circuitcity for $300. I sold the HDVR2 to some guy at work. The bill used to say - mirroring fee $4.99 for the 2nd box in the house before I got the HR20. The first bill after the HR20 didn't have the mirroring fee of $4.99, it said - lease fee $4.99.

No difference in monthly charges.

If my leased HR20 breaks DIRECTV will more than likely replace it for free or $19.99 shipping fee. If it were an owned HR20 they'd more than likely say - You're on your own[ed] to BUY another HR20. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.