not sure what they are exactly called but DirecTV installers/techs use them

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DKM585975, Jul 20, 2018.

1. DKM585975

DKM585975 New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Hello. I am not sure what they are exactly called but DirecTV installers/techs use these to determine 'line of sight' issues with any potential objects like trees, buildings, towers and such ..like a view finder device that has azimuth and such... Please let me know and thank you.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    It's APP -look in Google play store -for Sat finder

3. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Yep. Downloaded mine from the Apple Store a while back. SAToolsDirectTV :)

4. DKM585975

DKM585975 New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Ok... do you know how the App works? Is it like what I call the old style hand held signal strength meters that need to be used with an actual Dish and you hold both the meter and point the dish at the same time? I will look in the App store to 'investigate it' so to speak. ....but I've seen techs who have had a device in their hands and they looked through it to determine any potential blockages of the satellite signal (s) path to the satellite dish's line of sight.. the device kind of looks like a 'view finder'... I hope I clarified this.. Please let me know and thank you.

5. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
  6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The app is the 21st century way of looking for a clear LOS. The better apps use the device camera and GPS to superimpose satellite positions on your camera's view of the sky. Then one can see if the tree 100ft away is tall enough to block the signal as simply as looking at the screen.

The old school inclination tools had a compass to make sure it was pointed accurately. The one my friendly local installer used was set up so if he aimed the compass correctly then looked through the sight he could see the LOS. If he worked too far from home the LOS might be a little off.

It was an estimating tool. If LOS was found the tool was stored and he aimed the dish manually using a professional signal meter. If LOS was not found he did not need to spend any time aiming the dish. No LOS, move on.

The tools remain separate. The app estimates LOS and using a professional signal strength meter comes in to play only after LOS is found.

7. DKM585975

DKM585975 New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Hello, James. I THANK YOU VERY MUCH and to the others who took the time and answered my question(s).. even at times they may not have been worded the best. I apologize for not being very clear at times. Thanks again.

8. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    There are numerous free apps that work, and with an android phone.