1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure where to post; HDMI Switch...what's good?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by Rockywwf, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT
    I'm sure this is not the right forum to post this but there are a lot of educated users in here so I'll take a shot.

I have a Sony plasma with only 1 HDMI port. Need to pick up a 4 or 5 port that will work on my HR20, Xbox 360, Sony upconvert DVD and my PS3. I have been doing some research but still not sure what to buy.

I obviously want superior picture and sound quality; small size; working auto-sensing or a wireless remote; and lastly I don't want to pay over $150 if possible.

All the ones I looked at last night were ~$75 to $130. Some got good reviews from various sites.

So basically I seek the experts and/or experienced users who may own one of these devices.

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated!!! :)

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
  3. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT
  4. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT

Read your thread but still would like to get some answers on my situation...particularly having the HR20, Playstation3 and the Xbox 360. I've heard that some switches were having issues with the PS3 unless they are on a certain port and also heard about both audio and video issues with the HR20 on certain switches.

Still :confused:

5. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I would go with the Monoprice 5x1, works great on my setup:
    HR20-100, HR20-700, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray. I have had a Xbox 360 hooked up to it and it worked. I have heard from some people the PS3 only likes port #5... so... plug the PS3 in to port #5 and everything else in to the other ports. :)

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Rocky: I go along with most of the other guys in the aforementioned thread. Monoprice has a line of switches that are very good. One caveat: I had purchased a Monoprice 4 channel HDMI switcher and tried using it with my Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player, which is known to be fussy about HDMI with the earlier firmware releases. I had it set up using 6 foot standard grade HDMI cables, and would lose the HDMI handshake -- not a good thing. If I'd used 22 gauge premium Monoprice cables, preferably 3 foot, I probably would not have had the problem. Instead, I returned the switch box (received full refund but had to pay my own shiping) and am using component video from my HD TiVo instead of HDMI. The HD DVD player works fine using a 6 foot HDMI cable to the TV.

Note: I don't use or recommend Monster cables. They are grossly overpriced.
    I recommend the following Monoprice cables: 3 ft -- Product ID #2283 or 6 ft. -- Product ID #2219
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style=

7. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT

Thanks for the feedback and I have purchased the 5 port from Monoprice. You can't beat the price and the customer reviews were outstanding!

I also purchase the HDMI recommended above from Monoprice! Thanks all!!!

:D

8. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    I ordered a 2x1 manual hami switch and two 3' hami cables a month ago and mine works perfect: cables $3.91 each and the switcher $18.48 + $7.50 s/h from monoprice.com. thats the cheapest place you will get them. the switcher is 5"x4"x1"

9. gsa1

gsa1 Cool Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I had this same switch, and it worked great!...Then I made the mistake of looking at upcoming products from mono. They are about to release a 4X2 switch that is hdmi 1.3 and auto-sensing (prioritizing). Imagine the possibilites with 2 outputs...lol