Notorious

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Huuge Hefner, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    No thread, which might be explained by the poor ratings. No one is interested in this show.

Until today, I had only read reviews, and noted the poor ratings. It is also the first fall show to get its order cut, which is a death sentence.

And the reviewers hate it. Just HATE it. They consider it a Shondaland wannabe, and granted, it does feel much like her work, especially Scandal. Rotten Tomatoes viewers like it (75%) but critics rate it at 25% and 'top critics', whatever they might be, rate it at 13%. It would be a miracle if it had a second season, and could easily end in a Saturday night or summer burnoff.

And I really expected to hate it. I am not a fan of the lead actor, either. Those who actually read my posts know I am hard on shows that i feel are less than stellar.

But it is stellar. I cant find anything wrong with it at all. It is compelling, slick, and engaging. Well written, acted, and produced. And it does not suffer from the tendency lately of trying to generate dramatic tension by adding really busy orchestration to the sound track. There must be a real epidemic of carpal tunnel syndrome among string musicians in LA (OK, they're all digital samples, not real strings) because those guys are sawing on those violins and cellos as fast as their little hands can fly. I've never heard as many frantic string sections under a TV drama as I have this fall. And that is usually an indication of flopsweat and a lack of confidence in their product being any good without something, something, to gin up the action, even if artificially.

But not here. The soundtrack is terrific on this show. Jeez, everything is terrific here. I don't get it. It won't go down in history as a favorite of mine or anyone else's, but if Shonda is the comparison, it seems better than a full 2/3rds of what she puts on ABC.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Funny. I like the lead actress a lot. And he's been ok in the other shows he's been in. But I just found it to gossipy and dumbed it after two episodes. To tmz ish I guess for me.

3. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I enjoy it as well. I really like Piper Perabo and I've always liked the lead actor as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    i'm warming up to him. There is actually a scene where he cries in front of her in the pilot, that was done very skillfully. It's subtle, and meaningful, and fleshes him out. He is an evolved, 21st century man. If you are not paying close attention, you may not even realize that happened.

That is probably the last thing we might have expected from this confident, macho character, who for the first time in the episode presented his real self to her rather than all of the subterfuge they normally use with each other, which showed that he is really confident enough to show his real nature without any concerns about that.

But it worked, and it worked brilliantly. He is a good actor.

I always liked PP in Covert Affairs, a show that I am still sorry is not on anymore.

1 person likes this.
  5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    You and me both on Covert Affairs! Looked
    forward to that every summer!
    I also enjoyed the episode where the news lady shared her past as well. That was very touching, and went a long way to explain her behavior.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'll hate to see this one go. As others, I'm a Piper Perabo fan!

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was gonna start a thread about this show. We really liked it. We tried Conviction last night and got thru half an episode and dumped it. That was disappointing. ABC does have some good shows. We've always enjoyed Scandal. "Smelly Melly" :rolling: cracks me up!

Rich

8. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Here are a couple of facts. I still like this show, but...

Notorious was a distant second in its time period the night it premiered. It lost half of its lead-in audience. The show that beat it, Chicago Med (probably a real turkey) held on to its entire lead-in audience. Notorious premiered at a 1.2 (some say 1.1) and dropped a tenth each week until the order was cut from 13 to 10, four episodes later, on 10-25.

That order cut came from its net, of course, ABC. But the ABC promo for the third ep at the end of the second ep (which barely broke a 1.0) included an 80-point bright red bold font proclaiming that it was the NUMBER ONE #1 NEW SHOW. And this was echoed proudly by the overpaid announcer.

So according to ABC, their show that debuted to lackluster ratings, sank every week after that, and had its order cut three episodes later, was the NUMBER ONE #1 NEW SHOW.

Except that it actually ranked 12th out of 19 new shows, and it was ABC's fourth-ranked new show, with Designated Survivor having well over three times the ratings. And it would be lucky for a third of new shows to even make the full season hoping for a renewal, so it would be likely that the top 6 new shows might have a shot, while the bottom 11, ranked 7th through 19th, probably have no shot at all.

Those are the facts. Here is another fact, which is that Notorious is NOT even close to being the NUMBER ONE #1 NEW SHOW, unless they are counting the show that was number one on only their network in that single time period, which is a statement that can be made about every single show on television.

So who can you trust?

In a banner political year, it has become commonplace to have outright lies constantly. Except that everything I have mentioned here is not a lie, and is the truth.

But here is one more true fact. Apparently you can't believe a single word ABC says.

It's enough to make me want to stop watching linear TV networks all together.

9. bobl

bobl Legend

Jan 17, 2004
    While I get your rant about this, and I believe being a marketer is equivalent to being a liar, I believe they weren't technically lying because they said it was the number one new show "on Thursday". At least that's my recollection. If you make the criteria specific enough, any show could technically be number one.