1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notre Dame-Stanford in SD on ESPN2 Alt

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by noordam, Nov 28, 2009.

1. noordam

noordam New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Any reason why Notre Dame- Stanford is in unwatchable SD on ESPN2 Alternate instead of HD on ESPN2? Georgia-Georgia Tech is in HD on ABC in the Southeast and ABC/ESPN have been saying all week we would see both games one on ABC and one on ESPN2, which is which depends on the area of the country.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Because ESPN says so:
    [​IMG]

3. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    It's on ABC here.

4. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Because it's on ESPN2 Alternate. DirecTV hasn't dedicated the bandwidth for ESPN2 Alternate to be in HD.

5. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's got nothing to do with Directv's bandwidth. It is in SD where the UGA/Tech game is on ABC because ESPN says so....look at the map I posted.

6. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I am also watching the Notre Dame @ Stanford Game on ESPN Alternate channel 211 because My local ABC is carrying Georgia and Georgia Tech. Why in the HELL can't ABC-ESPN allow us to see the alternate games in HD? WHY WHY WHY? :mad:

7. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    ESPN does not have that much HD unlink space.

8. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I had both games in HD. ND Stan was on ABC HD and UGA GT was on ESPN HD. Nothing on ESPN alt

9. tivoboy

tivoboy Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    It was on ABC in the west, but my question is. Didn't Notre Dame sign some 10 year national contract with NBC?

10. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    It's the home team's TV contract that determines who carries the game. This game was at Stanford.

11. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    so why is the system setup like that so you can be foreced to pay up to $40 to see you team on road or not at all as other team can make it in there area only or do they also need to offer it to the area that the road team is from as well?

12. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Well, usually if it's a non-conference game between two competitive schools, the game will be carried nationally anyhow. You're more likely to get screwed if it's a smaller school in a non-conference game. If it's a conference game, your team pretty much has the same contract as they school they are competing against, so it's more than likely going to be available in your area.

Often times, if a game is locally-produced for the home school, arrangements are made to carry it in the away team's market as well.

The only BCS conference that has big TV problems now (in my mind) is the Big 12. They still have several conference games that aren't carried on TV at all - not even PPV. The SEC was like that as well until this season.

Fortunately for us, most of the channels that have contracts with the various conferences are on DirecTV.

This website has a good explanation of which networks cover college football and which teams they cover.

13. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Here's a pretty simple list.

14. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    My dad's TWC had both games in HD...

15. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I would be interested to know for sure if it is a ESPN HD uplink limitation?? or D* didn't want to drop a HD PPV channel for the length of a ballgame. It should be very similar to the very few part-time RSN HD offerings that exist currently. Hopefully D* can carry both Alternative Channels next year in HD(game only) along with the ESPN Gameplan in HD.

16. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

When I've complained about the collge fb blackout issue a couple of times a few weeks ago, I kept hearing how it is ESPN that has a limitation regarding what they can uplink, or that the game itself was not being broadcast in HD. Yet, when I walked across the street to my neighbors house and see the game that is blacked out on my D*, being broadcast in glorius HD on cable, I knew neither was the case.

I don't know what the issue is, I do know there are maps that D* appears to be following correctly, (why ESPN would black out the alternate game is beyond my comprehension). What I do know, is those same games D* is blacking out (as the maps show they are suppose to) ARE being broadcast in HD on my local cable provider.

17. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    Some Comcast sports net's also shows FSN games in place where they replaced FSN.

18. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    ESPN HD unlink limitation and lack of HD on site likely is why there is no game plan / full court hd. Some ESPN 1 / 2 BB games are in SD.

19. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Not a D* issue...

20. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Every week this same topic comes up. :rolleyes: Just because cable does it, doesn't mean it's right! Directv is following the guidelines set by ESPN/ABC.