1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now I see why people are frustrated with DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by PSXBatou, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    I signed up with the NFL package with free HD for life, we don't watch a whole lot of TV so I wanted to lower from premier to another plan. I was offered Select which I asked at least a half dozen times if my Free HD would carry over. I was assured it would and all was well.. Then I got my bill. I understand the prorated charges for the switch in plans, but I noticed the HD Access Fee. I called DirecTV and was told that Select was no eligible for the HD rate I was given when I signed up.. Fine.. put me to Choice Extra. Well I notice my account didnt change from Select to Choice Extra so I called again.

Apparently once they moved me to Select I lost and am no longer eligible for the HD Access promotion. Nor would they give me even the 2 years free I see some have gotten here. They said they would give me a $120 one time credit, but honestly thats still making me pay for their employee lying to me about switching plans and being able to keep my Free HD.

At this point, I will try to call customer retention again, but I think I am to the point where I will pay the $280 ETF and move over to Dish. I love DirecTV, the clarity of their HD as well as the programming suits me and my family just fine, however I feel completely lied to given the situation. Besides that If I went to Dish I could get free HD again, and eventually would recoup the cost of the ETF. Basically I figure it would be $280 - $130 credit the account would have on it leaving me with $150 as an ETF. After 15 months with Dish I would have recouped the money.

I am willing to try any other suggestions from folks here, I am not adverse to keeping DirecTV if they are willing to give me what was promised when I signed up. I feel like DirecTV's lack of customer service as well as being unwilling to right a wrong that their own employee caused is bad business, not to mention horrible customer service.

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    They won't let you use the credit for an ECF.

3. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    Yea, I'm on with them now. Bleh.. Honestly at this point I am rather ticked with their lack of customer service.

4. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Try an old installer trick,

Just call back and start over. You will get another person. Disavow any changes in your original deal. Get them to reinstate your billing as it was. Start over on the web site. You are entitled to understand what you are buying. CSRs just make this stuff up and or are tired, confused and not current on the weekly deals.

Joe

5. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    Well, apparently "the credit is the best they can offer", this after talking to a person in retention, then their manager.

This is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, customer service at its worst.

What do you mean by start over on the website?

The part that frustrates me the most is I was basically lied to by one of their employees, now rather than making it better and restoring my account they are telling me even if they move my account to Choice Extra the HD option is no longer available for my account. They basically said take the $120 credit and call back in a year to see if we can give you another offer, which in this situation is not reasonable in my opinion.

As much as I like DirecTV as far as programming and HD Quality I am very close to just eating the $360 (was higher than I thought) and moving to Dish, I am very frustrated with the lack of customer service DirecTV has shown me.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I understand that the CSR you talked to was mistaken, but honestly what's the big deal.

They have you a $120 credit (HD free for a year). Next year there might not even be a charge for HD and if there is you might be able to get HD free then (with auto bill pay).

It sucks when a CSR is uninformed (which is different than lying, BTW), but in the grand scheme of things it's not really worth the hassle you're putting yourself through.

You're willing to switch providers because a CSR didn't understand a policy??

7. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    More the principle, they honestly as a company should make right what their employee screwed up. I just don't think its good customer service to do what they are doing, the right thing would be to reinstate my account how it was on the offer that I signed up for.

That said I see what you're saying, it just bugs me that they are not willing to correct what their employee did. I understand mistakes happen and people can be misinformed, we are all human after all. However I think its the companies job to correct what their employee did, and in this case while they made some concessions they really didn't fix what they broke.

I was given 3 months Showtime on the last call, that with the $130 credit I will at least sit on this until my credit disappears. I don't really have a lot of tolerance for poor customer service, thats one of the main reasons I left Comcast and moved to DirecTV.

8. prospect60

prospect60 Legend

Aug 26, 2006
  9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    About the start over....

For years as a DirecTV contract installer I had to interact with their call centers to activate customer equipment. Occasionally (rarely) there would be some problem with customer records. In those instances I would just hang up, wait, and call back to start over with another CSR (Customer Service Representative). Most of the time a new person would hear the same situation and come up with a different solution. I would wait for a solution that allowed activation that day, hour and minute.

Customers can go to the DirecTV web site..DirecTV.com and try the same thing...no guarantee...give it a shot. Verify your record and start over. Any questions, re read 1984.

Joe

10. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    How do you know the CSR wasn't lying? That is an assumption on your part. And yes, losing what you were promised is a big deal.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Logic.

What would be her motive? What benefit? Would have been just as easy for the CSR to say "you need to stick with your current package or lose the free HD", or "you'll lose free HD with that pacakge, but you can go down to XXX and still keep it".

You'll find that the use of logic is beneficial in many aspects of life. Give it a try.

12. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    I did just that! I posted my email below.

I don't think a CSR has a reason to lie, however I agree that losing what I was promised is a big deal to me.

Here is the email I sent to her I also CC'd 'mike.white@directv.com' and 'eafilipiak@directv.com' (an alternate email for Ellen I had found in Google.), I included my phone and my acct number at the end (obviously not posting that here). I'll update you all if I hear anything. I don't have a lot of faith that anyone will respond to me, but figured it was worth a shot.

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    This Is One Of The Best Post I Have Ever Seen On DBSTALK.COM about CSRs!!! :hurah:

Joe You Are A RIOT!!!

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Dont feel bad. I was told by two CSRs that I would continue getting my "Free HD for two years" if I dropped to Select.

I got an email yesterday telling me I needed CHOICE or above.

I called to discuss this, and the CSR told me the email was wrong, and everything on my account was in order to continue getting Free HD.

My bill will be drafted on the 30th. If there is a HD fee on it, then things will start getting ugly.

15. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    I think most people that have had D* for a while know to not believe anything a CSR tells them. Just start by paying full price for whatever services you want, and if you can get some credits along the way... great. Just be glad if you're not getting overcharged. Does it suck that a company can't get all it's employees on the same page? Yes. But it is what it is.

16. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    Update: I just got a call from the office of the president Mike White, and while it wasn't him of course the agent on the line "speaking on his behalf" was able to reinstate my HD for life. They moved my package to choice extra as well as reinstated my auto-pay, which I never had an issue with to begin with.

It took some nudging and prodding, but DirecTV came through and fixed the problem that they caused.

As an added bonus they let me keep the credit that they had applied on my account, something I never would have expected!

I haven't heard from Ellen, after this I doubt I will, but using the mike.white@directv.com email seemed to do the trick for me, hopefully this thread can help out someone else that is having CS issues with DirecTV.

Thanks to all that gave me suggestions and listened to me rant!

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Please .. do not use mike.white@directv.com .. The proper path is ellen.filipiak@directv.com .. While sending a note directly to the CEO may make you feel better, it actually delays the process of resolving your problem.

BTW, Ellen runs "The Office of the President" response team.

18. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    So you're saying the VP of customer relations is who "really" deals with customers? :lol:

19. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    Either way they solved this issue pretty fast. Apparently with the NFL package I signed up with my minimum package was the "ultimate" for free HD, so well.. I went this far so I just upped it to that in order to be in compliance with the terms of my agreement with DirecTV. Now my bill is about $12 more than what I was paying with Select, but I get a hell of a lot more programming than I did with Select. Plus I still have $110 of the original $130 they gave me last night over the phone, which was very generous of them to let me keep it.

I appreciated how fast DirecTV fixed this issue for me, as well as going so far as to let me keep the credit they issued to me previously.

To counter what you said about emailing Mike White. The person on the phone said my email was assigned to anther agent, but she had received my email from Mike White so she reassigned it to herself and contacted me this morning.

I think DirecTV should empower their CSR's to do more for customers rather than having to go through other methods to correct an issue that they caused. I am very happy that they took the time to call me and fix the problem, it demonstrates that they do at least care about retaining a customer and fixing a problem that they caused.

20. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    No, what DIRECTV should do is empower the frontline CSRs to get you to the person that can resolve the issue. DIRECTV won't, and shouldn't, empower their frontline CSRs to do whatever is necessary to appease the customer. That is above their pay grade.

I am glad your issue was resolved, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.