Now that you've had it a week...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - H2x Discussion (private)' started by Stuart Sweet, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The new H21 software is a pretty major jump, as you can see by the new functionality. Please take a closer look and try our all the features that you can, and report here on your likes and dislikes.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No issues after one week. The new H21 software is much more like the HR20/HR21 software. Overall, I think that's good. But the performance seems to have suffered somewhat, especially things like channel surfing and Guide scrolling.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    After my "brick", I've got my new receiver waiting for......

4. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It would be nice to have the ability to view signal strength to get my antenna adjusted to the best. However, other than that it works great. It will be a while before I can get it networked so I haven't been able to test that functionality.

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Working great here so far and as I mentioned for the first time in months I didn't have to run guided setup after the update or a reboot. So big steps forward there.

On the downside is performance has suffered, especially in terms of guide speed and just the UI overall.

6. bearmur

bearmur Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    We need signal meter fixed. Maybe add network services. The Music, photos & more works like HR20-700. Channel changing slow sometimes. Blank screens seem better, the Audio problem needs to be fixed. Maybe add MRV and miscellaneous options.

7. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd like even more feedback, if possible. Please go into as much detail as you can.

8. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Once the problems that I have reported in the issue thread are fixed I think this will be a great update for the H21.

The AM21 is working well except the signal meter is not working.

I am connected to network but not to the internet and media share is not working yet. Once that does it will be a great addition to the H21.

The updated GUI to make it a lot closer to the HR2x's is great.

I just wish there was away to make On Demand work on the H21. At least for SD programming. If there was away to make it work like the "Netflix Player" that would be great.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Where's buffer" [beef]? ;)

10. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    A quick thank you to the person at DirecTV that decided to slip a kind letter in with my AM21. I can't say I ever gotten anything like that and it was a nice touch.

After a stressful week, I FINALLY had a chance to get everything hooked up. Again, an apology to those folks at DirecTV. :) I moved my H21 today from my shop to my master bedroom to make sure it gets as much use as possible. I've only had everything hooked up for a few hours now.

I need to have a little more time with it but I concure with a comment made earlier about the responsiveness of the box. Guide scrolling and channel change response time seems to have taken a performance hit.

11. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Like the others said responses time had dropped would be nice though i know some work if the software was based for the H series and not HR series

It would be nice if the load times would be returned to the way a non-dvr unit loads and also seems IR sensitivity also dropped

The GUI is good makes easier transition from HD-DVR to HD receiver

Signal meter would also be nice to compare against my Tv tuner card in my pc which my receiver is close to and the AM21 seems to be performing better than it

Im still having network issues with the receiver locking up when connected to the network after a few days

Apart from above listed the receiver & tuner are performing flawlessly

12. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    To me it breaks into two pieces:

Adding OTA tuner (original purpose) - although there were a few quirks such as signal meters and my original issue with my zip code being recognized, the general support for the AM21 on the H21 was a definite success. I sincerely hope this capability is extended to the -100 as well (don't know why it wouldn't). In the first release, I have a functional unit that I could live with (if I had to) since the issues are relatively minor. Since I have a need of HD OTA for the fundamental OTA HD this has been very pleasant start to the field test. The tuner sensitivity has been excellent (as with the AM21 on my HR21-700) and I can not really find much fault in the tuner segment other than the minor issues listed above.

Extending the function of the software - this was a bit of a surprise to me. It was also very welcome. Other than a few "labeling" issues (left over from HR code I think), the ability to get network connectivity and be able to use Music playback from Media Share was a very positive step (supporting my personal hope for where the H2X box should be headed). The similarity of the UI to the HR series is a plus making the transition from one box to the other is a definite plus. I am hoping that this is a indication that the H21 will be more included in the Media Share and MRV functions as these develop further.

As an aside, the "push" method for CE update was a positive (I hadn't had prior experience with this update method).

13. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I have posted that it seems this is based on the HR21 code base not the H21. I assume that means that all the HD receivers will eventually be on this code base. The CE certainly looks a lot like an HR21 without the recording capabilities. It seems to be slower in general than the NR for the H21- maybe this is the HR21 connection coming through.
    Other than the reported obvious bugs I haven't had any issues at all with this CE (but I am not using networking). The AM21 is (as expected) the same as my HR21 AM21 (with the same software bugs, which I will try to report on this week).

14. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    texasbrit, you may be on to something. I've kinda noticed the same thing myself.

15. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Has anyone gone through, menu by menu, and documented the similarities and differences?

16. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I have to echo what was said above. Great IDEA to push it out to only those on the trial. I was pleasantly surprised at the new features and haven't had time to play with them much since I hadn't planned on the network features.

Right now the AM21 is doing a super job and held signal spectacularly during a recent rain storm. Sometimes on the HR20s I will get signal loss but the AM21 seems to have a superior ATSC tuner.

Others have noted the channel changing issues and thats probably the biggest bug right now since I use native and every time ya change formats screen goes all grey and paints a funky channel banner that I can not capture in a photo.

If I could recommend one change is to make it the same black finish of the H21, the width is ok since I stack the H21 on the AM21 however probably would be great if dimensions were the same width and depth wise.

17. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have a question to try to get my head on straight. I thought that "Network Services" were required to be able to submit a diagnostic report (I may be wrong as my recollections of some of the specifics of what drove what during the initial Media Sharing intro on the HR21). I'm asking because when I go to the double button push to get to Report, I see the Sort Playlist option also. This was the reason for my comment about building from the HR code base as I don't think a Sort Playlist option makes sense in a receiver that doesn't record). However I don't see any of the other Network Services items in the Network or Info & Test screens. Since the report works and, at the least, the Music sharing works from Media Share, I thought this would imply that some vestige of Network Services must be running. Am I just confused??

Thanks in advance

18. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Network Services is just Widgets and Fortunes right now. Everything else related to the network interface was already active before we got it. Has anyone tried to poke their eye on the H21 to see if Newtwork Services would activate? I don't have network to my H21 location, but may try to see if the menu item comes up tonight.

19. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I am under the impression that network services are enabled for things like daily fortune or widgets. To send a diag report seems to only require a network connection same for Media Sharing. The good news is that since the H21 has access to the network that once we have MRV that the H21 looks like it should be able to view media from and HR.

20. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    POKEEYENOW no workie yet from test I just tried. Also to send diag report need to do menu info on panel versus on latest HR CE having it a non hidden menu option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.