1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number of Clouds with SWM16

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by pgricks, May 31, 2010.

1. pgricks

pgricks New Member

May 31, 2010
    Does a SWM16 create one or two clouds when properly connected to DECA where 12 tuners are involved? Do the individual ports get combined?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    My understanding is that the SWM16 internally connects the two for DECA communications.

3. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I can verify that it creates one cloud between the two possible ports. I have 6 tuners on the one port and as of now 2 on the others (going to expand soon) on the other. (don't have my sig updated either). If you want to stop that I THINK you could us a Band Stop Filter somehow to stop it from crossing but I think someone else will have to chime in on how that would work. Not exactly sure.

My question with the SWM16 is when looking at SWM signal levels there are still only 9 total channels and not 16 (or 17). I am assuming that for each leg they're showing just the 9 total for that leg and not the total of the SWM 16 as a whole.

4. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    That's because to the receivers a SWM16 is really two separate SWM8s.

5. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You are correct, as SWM is currently implemented any one box will only see 8 channels (9 if you count control) The only thing a SWM16 can do that 2 SWM8's cant is bridging of the DECA cloud (and an easier install)

6. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    And given that SWM (+DECA/MoCA) uses all available bandwidth, the 'current implementation' is not likely to change for the foreseeable future. :)

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Both output legs of the SWiM 16 are cross connected for DECA (not for SWiM), so anything attached to either output leg will talk to another via the DECA networking.

Each Output leg will only support 8 SWiM tuners, though. Look at the back of your DVR/Receiver and it will say either SWM 2 or SWM 1 .. Add all of these for each receiver and as long as you don't exceed 8, you can attach to the same output leg using a SWiM Splitter.

Once you're over 8 (and up to 16), you can use the second output leg.

The Broadband DECA does not count against the SWiM number at all. And you can support a total of 16 DECAs (that does include the broadband DECA).

Summary
    SWiM - 16 tuners (8 tuners max per output)
    DECA - 16 devices (each DVR/receivers/DECA counts as one device) across either output