1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia Shield

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Rich, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Couple days ago I had a problem with an Apple TV box and returned it. Bought a Nvidia Shield. I've wanted to try one for...years. Now they do 4K. How different is the Shield from an ATV? Well, the NS is faster, much faster. The remote is very responsive. No touch pad. Only five buttons and a "volume slide" on the NS remote as opposed to an ATV remote's 8 buttons and touchpad.

The ATV remote does more and I miss the touchpad. Not being able to access iTunes is a problem with the NS. The NS remote is much more responsive and I really like the volume slide. The NS remote is a bit larger and feels better in my hand. Merge the two remotes, use the best features of each and you would have a helluva remote.

I gotta go with the ATV remote, it just does more. They both could be better. My son says the Shield is built with gaming in mind more than anything else and its remote is a reflection of that.

The user interface of the Shield: Not nearly as good as an ATV or a Fire TV device on the apps. Seems to be using outdated apps for Amazon and NF. The UI on the ATVs is much better on the various apps. The NS doesn't seem to have as many apps as the ATVs and FTVs, again built with gaming in mind. The way the remote handles NF content is good, but switch to Amazon and it's just hard to get around in that app.

I don't see any differences in PQ between the two boxes, I do see a slightly different picture when using an FTV box but it's minor. I have been using the NS for a couple days and have had no problems, the ATVs should be so stable (my FTVs are really stable).

The Nvidia Shield was very easy to activate, much easier than an ATV. I really see little wrong with the NS, it's a fine streaming box. It just isn't an Apple TV. I'm gonna return it in a couple days, I have another ATV ordered.

Rich

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I have one for about 2 years I love it.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Looking forward to the game tomorrow? I have to think the Pats win. Did you see today's news? Sounds like Eli wants nothing to do with mentoring whichever QB they draft. If they draft a QB. The way Manning looked this year...they better draft a QB. I know he was running for his life most of the time.

One question comes to mind: Have you tried a 4K Apple TV box?

Rich

4. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    So not like Eli we will see what happens. Never tried APTV 4K

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you were Eli would you be pleased with the way he was treated at the end of the season?

You really have to have both boxes to compare them properly. I haven't got anything bad to say about the NS, just have to say I like the ATVs better for a couple reasons. Better UIs on comparable apps. If you've never tried an ATV remote you will never believe this: The remotes on the newer ATVs are better than the NS remote. Yeah, the NS remote is much quicker but then I got bogged down by the UIs of the few apps NS has available and how hard it is to navigate thru them. The Amazon app was the worst I saw on the NS and the Amazon app on the ATVs is really good, surprisingly easy to use.

Simply put, what I saw was a superb device hampered by poor software. Sound familiar (think Genie)?

But, as I've said, if I never had an ATV I'd be thrilled with the NS. I'm spoiled.

Rich