NWCN

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1 of 23
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Odd, NWCN has been removed from Dish. I wonder why? It is still available FTA on my big dish. I do not know if it streams or not. Anyone know what is going on?

2. Mar 1, 2016 #2 of 23
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Never heard of NWCN until now, and I suppose I wouldn't since it is a regional channel. I did a quick look around and according to the NWCN's own channel listings there is no mention of DISH, as expected from your post, but DirecTV is listed but the channel is not, so maybe it's gone from both DISH and DirecTV. Yet, on the NWCN About page they say, "the network is also carried by DISH Network, a major satellite company", so that hasn't been updated.

After almost daily, sometimes multiple posts per day made in February on Facebook, posts suddenly stop on February 22nd. And, at no time since the beginning of the year where they went these many days without posting. One place I did find regarding NWCN being removed from DISH was the monthly Uplink Activity thread HERE at DBSTalk.

Probably more will be revealed in due time.

3. Mar 1, 2016 #3 of 23
    PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    It kind of looks to me like maybe NWCN is in the process of switching from Dish to DirecTV. Dish has been removed from their "channel listings" page and DirecTV has been added, with an "x" for the channel number. NWCN was never carried on DirecTV before, so there must be a reason for adding it to the list.

This is only speculation on my part and I have no inside info.

4. Mar 1, 2016 #4 of 23
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, the channel is regional covering parts of the NW. Funny, the channel is FTA, plus on about every cable system. Northwest Cable News. owned by Tegna owner of KING-KGW-KREM and other stations.

5. Mar 1, 2016 #5 of 23
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Does the "LOCAL" info channel that replaced it according to the uplink report say anything?

6. Mar 1, 2016 #6 of 23
    Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    TEGNA, the owners of this channel may had shut down NWCN, this was one of the regional cable channels they got from the buyout of Belo years ago before Gannett split up the print media side and the TV side with TEGNA being the TV side's new name.

They did shut down TXCN last year. So it's possible they shut NWCN down too.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

7. Mar 1, 2016 #7 of 23
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    NWCN is alive on G14 on my big dish. Dish has dropped a lot of channels through the years that are still operating. Mostly PI channels like UoW, UC, etc. I have e mailed NWCN to see what they say, but I have not heard back as yet. I even tried calling them and the line has been busy all day. I have an idea a lot of viewers are unhappy. NWCN was always there in between local newscasts. There are in most markets on cable and Dish (before now). So a lot viewers there.

8. Mar 1, 2016 #8 of 23
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I got a hold of NWCN and they said that Dish dropped them. Why, she did not know. But they have been flooded with calls all day and NWCN is working to get back on Dish. So hopefully something will be worked out.

9. Mar 1, 2016 #9 of 23
    CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    thanks for the update mwdxer

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I am hoping it gets returned soon. Glad to help.

11. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    I think NWCS was on Dish Network in only a few markets. In Medford, Oregon it was never available on Dish.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have no idea why NWCN has not been available in all NW markets as it is on cable in all.. I tried calling both NWCN and KING TV today to see if there was any updates, but both were constantly busy. The gal at KING told me that they are flooded with calls.

Patrick

13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    the the NWCN Facebook page, someone things that NWCN may be gone for sometime, but he did not say why. I have no idea if there is any dispute.

14. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    The slate DISH put up on the NWCN channel reads: "NWCN programming has been removed from DISH per a mutual decision between the two parties". None of the usual dispute invective. It seems strange they would say that if it was just another contract renewal that involved a rate increase.

1 person likes this.
  15. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    When Dish dropped KVOS a year ago for a time, I found out that KVOS just did not renew their contract with Dish. After several calls, they caught that and then got it done. Something slipped through the cracks. The same message was on the screen for KVOS as it is for NWCN now.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How the heck does a station just forget they have an expiring contract?

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The "mutual agreement" made years ago when the carriage was last renewed. The carriage contract had an expiration date. The contract expired. Perhaps both sides were waiting for the other to call or contact info had changed at the station.

18. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I finally got a call back from someone at NWCN today. It is the same song & dance. Why is it Dish dropped them, the agreement between money once again. They are at an impasse and neither side is moving, so again we as consumers are the losers. NWCN just wants the same amount they are being paid for KING, which apparently Dish does not want to pay. I guess they feel their all news channel is not worth the same like carrying a network. They probably have a good point, especially NWCN being regional. Now if NWCN would drop their price, we may get it back sooner. I asked why NWCN is only on in certain NW markets. I guess Comcast is the part owner and they do the rights for cable, but satellite is different and some cable markets do not want the competition. The same reason it is not on the Roku. So we wait and see "if" the two sides can come to some agreement, but NWCN is not an NBC station, so we may or may not get it back. At least I do have access to it on my big dish in the meantime.

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If they tied carriage to KING or a group of stations it would be easier to charge a king sized ransom.

20. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    NWCN is a mix of mostly NBC stations in the NW, but there are CBS too. They are part of KING Seattle/KGW Portland/KREM Spokane and one in Boise and I think Yakima/Tri Cities WA. NWCN is on about every cable system in the NW. They have been on Charter Cable for decades. To be honest, I was surprised Dish added them several years ago as the channel is connected to Comcast cable as well as the TV Network stations. For years I don't believe Dish/Direct had to pay a TV station to carry them. But now with the laws the way they are, the TV station owners can demand anything and Dish/Direct has to pay it. Now if they lose ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX, it can be a big deal as consumers will jump ship over that, but is a NW All News regional network worth the same as a regular network station. I would think not. As much as I like all news networks and NWCN is a good one covering the NW well, is it worth the the extra cost? Maybe NWCN tried to demand more, they probably did and Dish refused to pay it. I do wish the government would step in on these situations and have both sides work things out without the viewer losing a channel we pay for.