1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NY Metro OTA Virtual Channel 9 (PSIP), Digital Channel 38 (UHF) Down

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by SpewHole, Mar 20, 2018.

1. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Friends,

It's been a while since I've participated in this forum. I have an interesting problem with one of the channel/subchannels that I receive with my THR-22 in the NY Metro area:

Channels 9-1, 9-2, 9-3, and 9-4 all stopped working on about March 5th. I thought it was just power outages from one of the Noreasters, but the issue has persisted and today I discovered this article:

Rescan your TV to see My9!

"My9 viewers will need to rescan their TV on March 5, 2018 to continue to watch using an over-the-air antenna."

I would just write DirecTV and give them the heads-up, but the issue is a little more complicated than that. My OTA channels with the THR-22 are populated with Tivo's guide matrix. I rescanned, but it didn't work because the Tivo guide is still expecting the old digital channel numbers from preā€“March-5th.

Do I contact DirecTV so they can pass it along to Tivo? Or do I contact Tivo directly?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I would suggest contacting both. Although I doubt either company will do anything :(

SpewHole likes this.
  3. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I doubt that TiVo will talk to you directly. I assume you have an AM-21. Call DirecTV, but you'll need LOTS of patience to deal with CSRs who don't know the THR-22 and have even less interest in OTA.

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    For Tivo send an e-mail to metadatasupport@tivo.com and tell them that WWOR moved to RF channel 25.

You might be out of luck with the AM-21 though. Since the THR-22 runs TiVO based firmware and hasn't had a real update in years, it might have never got the update like the other Hx2x receivers got that lets them match OTA channels by major-minor numbers alone. For those it's as simple as rerunning antenna setup and it will find the channels on their new RF number.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  5. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    I gave scanning another whirl and all four stations were found!

Also, I realized now that the fixed OTA channel list for my market is probably still coming from DirecTV. Tivo is only providing the electronic guide data and program descriptions. I get the same basic set of OTA channels for my market on both the THR-22 and HR-22.

But scanning should have worked the first time around! Go fig.

So now I have all four stations again, without any guide data (since scanned channels don't get that).

Now I know that I should contact DirecTV if I want to request they update the channel list.
    And if after that, the channels still lacked program descriptions, I would contact TiVo.
    Right?

6. codespy

codespy Aaron owns Da Bears! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    TiVo has been pretty receptive to updating THR22 software when needed, so it may be worth a shot. At this point, I'd have more faith in them than the deathstar......