1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O'Brien Apologizes for Offending Canadians

Discussion in 'The OT' started by lee635, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    "People of Quebec, I'm sorry," O'Brien said on NBC's "Late Night" telecast early Wednesday.

He had his remarks "translated" into French and subtitled: "People of Quebec, I'm an albino jackass."

link

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Canadians are fair weather friends. Besides, they always talk Trash about America whenever they can. I don't see why an American should apologize to them.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Canadians think they are above us.

4. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Yes, just because they have an exponentially lower crime rate, better standard of living, universal health care, cleaner cities... how dare they look down on us.
    :sure:

5. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    ... and a 2 billion dollar surplus instead of a half a trillion dollar deficit.

6. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    It helps when they don't have to worry about national defense and are "free" trading partners with the largest economy on the planet with a tax rate that would have many US residents "storming the Bastille"

See ya
    Tony

7. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    If you factor in the increasingly higher cost WE pay for medical care, we're probably "taxed" even more than the Canadians.

As to national defense, last time I checked, the Canadians have a very competent military which we have used for many operations. Seems to me the Bush administration was pissed off at the Canadians because they wouldn't allow their military to be dragged into the Iraq quagmire. Could that be the source of your disdain for our northern friends?

8. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Oh, if we had national health care taxes might go up. My health insurance costs about $11,000 a year. I would be willing to shift that to a single payer system and cut out all the hoops I have to jump through now. Conservatives act like nobody pays anything for health care now, and a national health plan would be all brand new money. When are you going to admit that right now we have a very ineffecient system, and we could do a lot better for the amount of money that is already being spent in this country.

9. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    For those of you who so are dissatisfied living the United States (you know who you are) and are so enamoured with :bowdown: Canada, please feel free to load up your SUVs and head on up the road to Canada. By doing so, you can also avoid the next U.S. military draft, get in line for that 'free' emergency brain surgery you'll likely need in the future, and start making friends with Canadian tax consultants.

Don't forget to send us a postcard.

|xxxxxxx|xxxxxxx|xxxxxxx|xxxxxxx|CANADA:welcome_s|xxxxxxx|xxxxxxx|xxxxxxx|xxxxxxx|

Cya :wave:

10. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    You know how Canadians named their country? A couple of fur trappers were
    sitting at the bar one day and one says to the other.."give me a C, ay, and give
    me an N ay then a D, ay?

11. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    But then I would be shirking my duty as an American citizen. I take very seriously the saying, "America, right or wrong. If right to keep right, if wrong to make right." So I guess I'll be staying. Sorry about that. But you know you'd miss me. :D :lol: :grin:
    Of course it is interesting that in a case like this you don't have a response of any worth, you just get nasty. BTW, I don't have a SUV.

12. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Nasty??? Who me??? :eek2: Sorry if I offended your tender sensibilities

BTW, Bogy, interesting you "take very seriously" a saying I've never heard of. I think you made that one up. :confused:

How about this one: "America, Love it or Leave it!"

As far as the "worth" of my posts, transparent as it may be to you, my posts do have value. I have worked out a special arrangement with McDonald's™, whereby if you print out one of my posts (this one will do) and take it into any participating location¹, they will give you a large hot coffee free, which, if you accidentally spill in you lap, makes you eligible² to win $6 million³.

¹Available only at participating locations in the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii.
    ²Must be 18 and provide proof of eligibility to participate
    ³Payable in Canadian dollars

13. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    How is wanting your country to be even better not loving it? When did it become unpatriotic and un-American to disagree with the president and the rest of the right-wing whackos? I am just as much a native American as any conservative, and last time I checked have the same Constitutional rights as any conservative. Of course, Rove and Ashcroft might like to alter that.
    :sure:

14. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Nick, shouldn't you and your friends all have moved to Canada during the Clinton years that you all hated so much? ;) Or are you giving out advice that you don't take for yourself?

15. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    This whole thing makes you wonder if anyone in the Canadian government ever watched Conan before sending the check to pay for the show coming to Canada.

16. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Hehe, but it's the advertisements paid for his show, not the government. You haven't watched canadian tv much, have you? I'd say that the beer companies pretty much fully financed Conan's trip as they advertise on canadian tv more than infomercials on late night digital cable channels. ;)

17. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I never said I hated the Clinton years. On the contrary, I found those years to be highly entertaining. Why would I move and give up my front row seat to the greatest circus on earth?

You, my presumptuous friend, are assuming facts that are not in evidence. :)

18. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    What's great about this is that Conangate appears to have caused more uproar in Canada than the Superbowl spectacle. Or maybe the Canadians just have come to expect vulgarity from American media, so they don't bother anymore?

19. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Conan is on the Anik F1 sat on a FTA channel. The feed has the NBC bug at the bottom of the screen, so the Canadians have this solid logo that covers up most of the peacock, but you can still see the top its wings peeking over the "ASN" logo. And after a commercial break, NBC sometimes appears before the poor technician can put down his Labatts and punch up the cover bug.

The Conangate investigation continues...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.