Occasional horizontal line across screen

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lschwarcz, May 9, 2019.

1. May 9, 2019 #1 of 19
    lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Hi everyone,

I occasionally get a horizontal line on the TV. The vertical position is always the same but the width can vary. See the circled part in the picture.

IMG_3948.jpg

I suspect it’s an issue with the HDMI output on my Genie DVR.

Here’s how I’ve narrowed it down to the DVR HDMI output itself.
    • I can’t reproduce it on demand. It just happens sometimes.
    • I’ve only seen it when watching on that one DVR and have seen it when watching programs recorded on that DVR and programs recorded on other DVRs in the house.
    • If I pause the TV when I see it, sometimes it remains and sometimes will go away.
    • If I rewind it a bit, sometimes the line appears at the same point in the program and sometimes will not reappear
    • Seen on both local channels (PBS as shown) and cable (seen it recently on Comedy Central).
    • I’ve swapped out all HDMI cables and still get the issue.
    • Tried using different TV inputs (HDMI 1 and HDMI 2) and still see it.
    • Connected HDMI splitter and had two TVs connected at once and saw on both at the same time.
    Has anyone else seen this odd issue? Any idea if it can be fixed without replacing the DVR? If necessary, I suppose I could replace the DVR but then I would lose all of my recorded programs.

Thanks in advance!
    Larry.

2. May 9, 2019 #2 of 19
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Check your settings on your HR54-500 and HR24-500. Perform a System Test. If possible perform a diagnostic on your TVs. Does that horizontal line appear in the same location on your TV or does it change location?

lschwarcz likes this.
  3. May 9, 2019 #3 of 19
    lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Thanks for the FAST reply!

The horizontal line appears in the same spot vertically but the width can vary.

I'll run the diagnostics on the DVR. I don't know if my TV has a self-diagnostic feature but I'll check. But, the odds of two TVs (same brand but different models and ages) having the exact same occasional video artifact at the same time seems very unlikely.

Thanks!
    Larry.

4. May 9, 2019 #4 of 19
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Might be a issue with the TV..

lschwarcz likes this.
  5. May 9, 2019 #5 of 19
    lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Yea, but I did try it with two different TVs and had the same issue at the exact same time (both TVs connected through an HDMI splitter). It's possible but I think very unlikely in this case.

Thanks!
    Larry.

6. May 9, 2019 #6 of 19
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Remove the splitter and see if the problem goes away.

lschwarcz and Rich like this.
  7. May 9, 2019 #7 of 19
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All this makes me think you're right about the problem being on th54. I didn't see a statement in any of your posts where you said you watched the same content on other HRs and did not see that line...but let me reread the thread...nope no mention. I'm gonna assume you did that. Sure sounds like the 54. But have you switched locations on the 54? Don't see any mention of that. If you move the 54 to another location and the problem persists I'd be looking at the 54 as the problem. Have no idea what causes the line. Doubt it's the HDD.

Rich

lschwarcz and jimmie57 like this.
  8. May 9, 2019 #8 of 19
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When he mentioned the splitter in the OP it sounded like the splitter was put on just to see if the line would show up on another TV set. Not a permanent part of his setup. Not sure tho. If it is a permanent part of the setup that might be the problem. Never had any luck with HDMI splitters or switches.

Rich

lschwarcz likes this.
  9. May 9, 2019 #9 of 19
    lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    The problem started before I had the splitter there. I only put the splitter in-line to test on two separate inputs and then two separate TVs.

Thanks,
    Larry.

10. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Yes, the splitter was put in-line after I started seeing the problem just for testing.

Thanks,
    Larry.

11. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Sorry if I didn't make it clear but the second bullet point tried to convey that I did see the issue when viewing content recorded on the HR54 and content recorded on other DVRs through the HR54. I have not seen the issue on other TVs even when watching content recorded on the HR54.

What sucks is that if I have to replace the HR54 I'll lose all of the recorded content. If only AT&T (DirecTV) allowed me to keep the same Access Card. I believe if I just moved the Access Card to the new DVR it would see my external HD and I could keep all of the recorded content :(.

Thanks,
    Larry.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Reread it again and I see what you meant. You've convinced me, I'd replace the 54.

I don't see how moving the access card from one HR to another is gonna allow you to do what you want. The marriage between access card and HR is difficult to break. Simply put, you lose the 54, you lose all recordings.

Rich

jimmie57 and lschwarcz like this.
  13. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time o_O) but it's my understanding that the way they tie the DVR to the encoded disk is via the Access Card number.

I thought I read here about one member who convinced a tech who was replacing a DVR to just move the existing Access Card to the new DVR and was able to keep all of the recordings.

To me it seems inexcusable that when you replace a DVR that you lose all of your recordings. Technically it would be simple for DirecTV to allow recordings to be moved to a new DVR.

Dish allows users to move an external disk to a new DVR but I'd hate to move to Dish. Too many issues with their service. The biggest being that they temporarily drop channels during contract negotiation on a regular basis (but DirecTV, now AT&T, almost did this recently with Comedy Central).

Under the new ownership I'm getting closer and closer to dropping DirecTV and moving to some other service... if I can find one that meets all of my needs. So far they all suck. But DirecTV just sucks the least :(.

Thanks!
    Larry.

14. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    ACK! Looks like you may be correct. This tread seems to show that keeping my existing Access Card may not be the solution to keeping my recordings.

Are recordings tied to Access Card, or Receiver, or both?

UGH!

Thanks,
    Larry.

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Recordings are tied to the serial number of the receiver, nothing to do with the smart card.
    You get a new / replacement receiver then you also need a new smart card.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's a thread is full of wrong personal opinions, FUDs

Better if you'll find that one where is a member described his own positive experience of re-using old card and be able play old recordings from old HDD !

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have read posts about that but I'd have to see that work before I'd believe it. Yes, it's terrible that we can't migrate our external drives to other HRs and play that content but it is what it is and it's been that way from the gitgo. When I cared about recordings I made sure I had all my content backed up on several HRs. I've never lost any programming when I've lost HRs.

Rich

18. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    I see the same exact thing on two programs I recorded on the HR54.
    Series of white "dashed lines" , looks like the perforations on mailer tear out coupons.
    Lines were on the Sunday recordings of "Barry" and "Last Week", both on HBOE.
    Didn't notice it on anything I watched live, including PORT@GS just concluded.
    Didn't bother to check it on any of the other 8 DVR's.
    Probably won't since you saw the same thing.
    Leads me to think it was not localized... that it was broadcast that way.
    If it continues, I'll think about calling DTV, but will come to my senses and realize that it would be a waste of time.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sadly true.

Rich