1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd local lineup change

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SamC, May 14, 2018.

1. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    My market, Huntington-Charleston WV, which covers parts of OH and KY as well, launched with 3 PBS stations. WPBY, the WV PBS in HD; and both Ohio's WOUB and Kentucky's statewide KET network in SD. A few years ago Ohio was dropped because Ohio University could not afford to maintain the computer link to DirecTV's local receive facility. Now DirecTV has dropped KET. It was uplinking the signal from Lexington's, as the stations are identical statewide. DirecTV states that is dropping this as it prepares to move to an "all HD" format. KET says it offers the signal to DirecTV at no cost.
    Do not really understand how they cannot uplink the HD from Lexington just as well.

Meanwhile, DirecTV added one of our local .2 channels. WSAZ's .2 feed, labeled as "MyZ", a mix of the MY network primetime, and the ME TV signal elsewise, with some local news reruns.

I have never seen a .2 channel used by DirecTV, except in small markets where it was affiliated with one of the Big 4 networks, or CW.

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    We have a .2 in Philadelphia, PA. Not unusual it's a channel in demand.

3. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    DirecTV carries several .2 channels in the Minneapolis/St. Paul market namely KSTC 45 (5-2 over the air) and FOX 9+ formerly My29 (9-2 over the air).

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Carriage of subchannels is likely contractual, i.e. during their last renewal they got Directv to agree to carry it - or perhaps agree to "carry if it if another local channel gets dropped" which might account for the timing if the last renegotiation wasn't recent.

Three years ago my local ABC affiliate (then independently/locally owned) was fighting with Directv and was not carried for a couple months. There were a few sticking points, one of which was they wanted Directv to carry their .2 subchannel, which isn't a generic antenna network but includes locally produced content, high school sports, etc.

Directv never did and still doesn't carry the .2 subchannel. Since then the station was bought by Gray, so maybe they'll have more leverage next time (though that would assume Gray gives enough of a damn about that subchannel to make it an issue during negotiations, which I doubt unless they try to force this issue in a lot of markets)

5. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    My local market has 2 sub channels
    UNC Ex Directv ch 25.2
    And CW which is over the air 9.2 but this one is on Directv ch 15

6. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    The only ".2" channel I'm aware of is the 17 TPT channel on DirecTV. I believe 29 and 45 existed as separate channels on DirecTV for years before they became "combined" into OTA subchannels for the metro area.

But that 45 is now a sub channel finally explains to me why the "HD" version isn't really - and never was - HD (even though DirecTV gives it full 720p HD bandwidth).

Thanks for that info.