1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Problem - help please

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mloiterman, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 #1 of 16
    mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Can anyone help with this odd reception problem:

1. I recently upgrade to a SWM 8 setup from a standard Multiswitch. I have a SWM connected to a PI, which connects to a 4 port SWM splitter. Home runs (with essetntial brand new cable and compression fittings - built the house in 2004) go from the splitter to each location.
    2. I have three DVRs (HR24, HR21, HR20) and one HD box (H20).
    3. I installed the SWM about two months ago and didn't have a problem until about a week ago when I started getting messages on all receivers saying that guide data (error 920) could not be received for the last hour.
    4. I hired a private Satellite installer to come out and trouble shoot. He peaked the dish and change the cables in between the SWM, PI and the splitter.
    5. After he peaked the dish, everything seemed fine until tonight when I started getting the guide data messages again (error 920).
    4. You can see my signals in the screenshots below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is the SWM defective or do I have an issue with the LNB? Or, is it something else?

2. Apr 3, 2011 #2 of 16
    ben4715

ben4715 AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Wrapped stinger???

3. Apr 3, 2011 #3 of 16
    netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    With your 101 signal strengths, and your 99C signal strengths, you are dropping the even x-ponders.

if every even x-ponder is zero on your 101, you either have a bad LNB, cable from lnb to ground block or the switch or a bad switch.

If you want to get into the gritty details, take the cables that lead to the 101/99 ports on the swim switch and swap them around.

if the Zero's move to the odd numbers, then the cable/lnb is bad. if they stay Zero on the evens, then the switch is bad.

4. Apr 3, 2011 #4 of 16
    mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    What's a wrapped stinger?

5. Apr 3, 2011 #5 of 16
    mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    All pages should be up now, but the order is messed up.

6. Apr 3, 2011 #6 of 16
    ben4715

ben4715 AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    How many cables coming off the dish?

7. Apr 3, 2011 #7 of 16
    mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    4 cables come off the dish. It's the Slimline dish.

8. Apr 3, 2011 #8 of 16
    mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I should also add that all channels appear to be working OK. Locals, HD, etc. everything.

9. Apr 3, 2011 #9 of 16
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Fox News HD, TNT HD, and MSNBC HD should be missing if your 99c even signals are 0. Most the rest of those are just Cinema HD.

10. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Fox new is missing.

11. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I swapped the cables on 101 and 99. After swapping, signals on both odd and even were nearly perfect. Swapped back to original configuration (where I was having a problem) and the signals were nearly perfect.

UGH...intermittent problems that don't follow logic.

So it's:

1. Defective SWM module
    2. Dying LNB (its probably about 4 or 5 years old)
    3. I suppose it could be a fitting too at the LNB. The fittings at the SWM look OK.

So frustrating.

12. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    1 and 2 - unlikely. Almost certainly a connector. Swapping the cables solved the problem but it might easily come back.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Check the length of the middle connector that plugs into the SWM on both those cables. They should stick out to at least the front of the barrel of the connector, and the white center insulation should be flush with the bottom of the barrel, and should not have any white insulation on it down inside the connector. There should also be no wire strands from the shield crossing over the white center insulation to the center conductor. Ill bet the wire is down inside the connector and when it gets warm, it quits making contact inside the SWM. Look at them carefully with a magnifying glass, and if you see anything not quite right, replace the connector, or use a tweezers to extract the foreign wire/insulation from inside the connector.

If the switch is outside, consider a weather protection sheild to keep rain off it, or some other method to waterproof it.

14. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Oh, I'm certain that it will come back. That's why this is so frustrating. So you believe it's a fitting? Well, I guess that's easy enough to test.

15. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I just checked the connectors...the wire was sticking outside the barrel. If anything it was a bit long, so I trimmed it back a bit. I didn't look at the other items you mentioned. I have a compression tool and compression fittings, but they're slightly shorter (.21mm) then spec (.25mm).

Can I use those shorter barrels? Never made co-ax cables before, but I'm very experienced with make Cat5e and Cat6 cables.

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yea, I dont know about the compression connectors. If they are rated for the size coax you have, I dont see any reason why they wont work. The metal part on the ones I use are 7/8", not including the plastic part that gets compressed. They have blue plastic on them. Made for RG6.