Odd Transponder Problem on one receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dstout, Jul 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I have an R10(I think, DirecTV branded Tivo DVR) that has very weak and eratic signal readings on the odd transponders. The even ones are in the 90's. I have an R15 that the readings have fluctated on the odds, but they seem be more normal. I have multiswitch fed with a dual LNB and it has four outputs. I swapped out on old LNB tonight and it still doing it. Has my multiswitch gone bad, or do I have cabling issue?

I also hooked up an old inactive DirecTiVo in the same location. Week and wildly fluctuating odd transponders.

Thanks

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Continue tests by substitute components: LNBF, switch, cables, F-connectors ...

3. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I switched out the LNBF.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    did it help ?

5. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Nope. I will try some more stuff tomorrow. Thanks

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If this is happening on one of the R10's tuners switch the positions of the two satellite cables feeding the R10;

If the same low odd transponder readings move to the other tuner then that cable and/or its connectors to the R10 is faulty.

If the low transponder readings remain on the same tuner then the multiswitch is bad since you have already eliminated the LNB as the culprit. Besides, if it were the LNB all the receivers would be effected the same way.

If this is happening on both tuners then almost certainly the multiswich is bad since the two cables going out at once is very unlikely.

7. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    The problem was a bad coax from the lnb to the multiswitch.

Thanks for the help guys.

Directv had me down for a free service call, but it was going to be 8/1 before they came out. Is that normal?

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Earlier I was about to suggest the usual quick switch of the cables from the LNB to multiswitch to see if the low transponder readings would flip from odd to even to check for that.

But then remembered you said only one receiver, the R10, was affected so I suggested the different procedure above.

Anyway, glad you solved the problem ,,,

9. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Right. I don't understand how the R15 had good numbers. I ran the coax directly from the dish to the receiver to confirm one line was bad. They looked awful.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    As I proposed in first reply here - checking those components (standard procedure) will give you an answer pretty quickly.

11. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Is it possible for a DIY guy to do repairs on an HD set up, or does that require a truck to roll?

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea